Retirement Visa Vs. Tourist Visa Comparison

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was looking into this ealier and I decided it wasn't worth it - the Retirement Visa that is...

Why? For the exact same reasons just mentioned... Low interest return on your money (you will get more if you just stick it into a different account at the same bank) and you can't touch that money as long as you are on a Retirement Visa. On top of that, the banks will try to draw out giving you the money back if you change situations.

Bite the bullet and go the Tourist route until you can get married or find some other way but the Retirement Visa can be a real pain in the buttowski if you know your situation will change!

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Here are my thoughts

Once you get married, get a 13a visa.

Until then, just be a tourist.

Regards: Jim

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Here are my thoughts

Once you get married, get a 13a visa.

Regards: Jim

Yes, that looks like the direction I will be following.

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

Also you can pick up a Balikbayan visa when you arrive with your lovely wife (if you have one of course ;-)

• Like 1

mariposa
Posted
Posted (edited)

hmm. Why don't you apply for 13 Quota Visa instead, 13Quota Visa now is different unlike before that you need to pay a hundred thousand bucks now if you have condos... business or a money in the bank of $40k and with requirements such as: You can withdraw your money after you get the visa. It is also a permanent resident visa.

CHECKLIST OF DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS

FOR APPLICATIONS FOR CONVERSION TO QUOTA IMMIGRANT

(Section 13)

1. ( ) Notarized letter-request stating that:

a. he is possession of a valid passport (or equivalent document) and visa at the time he files his application;

b. he does not belong to any class of excludible or deportable foreign nationals enumerated under Section 29 and 37 of the PIA;

c. he is possessed of qualifications, skills, scientific, educational or technical knowledge which will advance and be beneficial to the national interest of the Philippines or he has sufficient capital for a viable sustainable investment in the Philippines;

d. all of the documents submitted were legally obtained from the corresponding government agencies.

2. ( ) General Application Form duly accomplished and notarized (BI form No. MCL-07-01)

3. ( ) Plain photocopy of the applicant’s passport showing admission stamp and authorized stay;

4. ( ) Proof of applicant’s special qualifications like academic degrees, awards, certificates of

recognition, and other documents attesting to applicant’s special qualifications, skills, or

knowledge, or

( ) Proof of financial capacity or investment, including but not limited to:

a. ( ) Bank certification of inward remittance amounting to at least US $50,000.00 or

equivalent in the foreign currency.

b. ( ) Duly-certified documents evidencing ownership / purchase of a condominium.

Condominium unit(s) acquired within four(4) years prior to filing the quota

Immigrant visa may be considered.

c. ( ) Duly-certified documents showing ownership of or investment in an existing

corporation, business, enterprise, or concern. Shares of stocks or other equipment

proof of ownership in a corporation or concern acquired within four(4) years prior

to filing application may be considered.

In cases (b) and © above, applicant shall show the proof that the amount he invested was inwardly remitted or came from foreign sources.

5. ( ) Original copy of stamp issued by the Bureau of Quarantine and appearing in applicant’s passport or travel document, and a certification from a government health institution that applicant is physically and mentally fit;

6. ( ) Bureau of Immigration (BI) Clearance Certificate;

7. ( ) National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA) Clearance;

8. ( ) Clearance from the Law Enforcement Agency of the Applicant’s country of origin or residence,

provided, that this requirements may be waived if the applicant has stayed in the Philippines for

more than two years; and

9. ( ) National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance.

Edited by ekonomizta
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Why don't you apply for 13 Quota Visa instead

Do you know anyone who has followed the checklist and got one? I ask because I don't. I only know people who have got them through friends of friends as the quota visas seem to go to the people who have well positioned friends.

I do agree with you that they are a great idea for someone who plans to live here a long time, as in more than 10 years, and not go for the married visa.

• Like 1

mariposa
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our Firm is processing Quota visa. But you don't need to pay hundred thousand bucks just the old processing of quota before. Most recent was the February 23 Agenda xxxxx Family they were Australians. See the BI Website for List of Approved Quota Visa. Do you have the Certificates? in order for you to get one is be sure that you authenticated all the certificates in PHil. Embassy

Edited by ekonomizta
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

But only in the SRRV Smile is the money "locked in" the bank. With the SRRV Classic, SRRV Human Touch, and the SRRV Courtesy the money can be invested e.g. buy a condo. And then any of them are only $360 a year renewal.Seems a lot easier to me than visa extension-extension-extension.

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The main sticking point for me was the $1400 application fee. That is a whole lot of money to process an application, what are they doing to justify that?

Mike S
Posted
Posted
That is a whole lot of money to process an application, what are they doing to justify that?

Baby needs a new pair of shoes ????????????? ...... :hystery: