Computer Components To Bring

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Mike S' post about UPS reminded me of a computer related question I wanted to ask.

Are there any computer or networking components I should plan to bring from the US in BB boxes because they are either A: hard to find in Phils or B: very expensive in Phils?

I have a cheap laptop and a cheap desktop with decent 21 inch screen, and a good Canon photo printer / scanner / copier. I don't have a UPS. Maybe I should leave the desktop behind and buy / build a new one in Phils?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Maybe I should leave the desktop behind and buy / build a new one in Phils?

There are rumors, that I have no trouble believing, about used computer parts in Philippines. Rumor has it that the parts they use to build computers here come from the garbage dumps of the first world countries. If I had to do it again I would bring any quality parts with me and stay away from the used crap you get here as much as possible

To buy a new desktop here, and get the same quality as in the west, will cost you plenty. Bring what quality components you can afford and need.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave. I know that a couple of the guys have built some beautiful systems. I'm curious to know where they typically get their individual components. After I get settled in in Phils, I would like to build a system from the ground up as a tinker project.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Mike S' post about UPS reminded me of a computer related question I wanted to ask.

Are there any computer or networking components I should plan to bring from the US in BB boxes because they are either A: hard to find in Phils or B: very expensive in Phils?

I have a cheap laptop and a cheap desktop with decent 21 inch screen, and a good Canon photo printer / scanner / copier. I don't have a UPS. Maybe I should leave the desktop behind and buy / build a new one in Phils?

I'm sure Mike S, Mike B, Steve & Myrtle and a few others can provide you with some local electronics parts and

services there in the Philippines. Reading from previous posts, here is my wish list:

latest anti-virus programs on CD

current OS and backup/recovery disks

spare hard drives or SSD (solid state drives), graphics cards and computer PS

heavy duty extension cords, power surge strips for 220VAC

spare laptop power adapters and batteries

spare audio/video cables (USB, HDMI, RGB, COAX cables, etc)

computer repair tool kit, including a 40w soldering iron, magnifier, small flashlights

Check this out: http://www.220-electronics.com/. I especially like the type 5 converter with voltage regulator.

And for those DIY's, this website was extremely helpful for me: http://www.repairfaq...R/F_Repair.html

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

1. Spare cooling fans come to mind. Mainly the little fans on the motherboard chipset and on the video card.

2. Power supplies.

3. Hard drives

Moving parts fail first. Loose a cooling fan then the electronics overheat and fail. Heat and humidity there is the biggest enemy as we all know.

4. Licensed operating software. Go to a place like Fry's Electronics and buy oem version of Windows 7 Home Premium or better. Price is usually around $99. Legal copies in Philippines cost much more. At a large electronics\computer store in a Manila mall the price was ridiculous to me for an oem system builder.

What really sucks is trying to guess what all you would really need or use. Technology is always changing.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Check this out: http://www.220-electronics.com/. I especially like the type 5 converter with voltage regulator.

Yes, I bought converters from this site before I left for Germany and then made the mistake of giving them all away when I left. I will be buying a few more now.

Thanks for the tips everyone! Keep them coming!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK ..... well I speak from personal not hear say experience ...... I have bought MANY computer components here in the Phils ..... CPU ... MB .... about 5 HD's .... memory ... dual layer dvd unit .... numerous fans .... laptop and a tablet ..... and printer's ..... the only thing I had shipped from the US was my video card and that was because at the time it was not available here .... is it gonna cost you a bit more ..... yes .... but not the hundreds of dollars people say it will ..... shop around ..... you have to look .... there are no NewEgg's .... Fry's .... Tiger Direct or Amazon computer places here ..... ... my total system only cost me around $140 more by having all the parts purchased here AND YOU GET A WARRANTY HERE ..... don't laugh .... I had a 1year replacement local warranty and a factory warranty if warranted after the 1 year ..... my system is still running after 2 years

(everything except vid card was bought here)

post-11-0-43883600-1336277409_thumb.jpg

and I can't of hand think of anything I had to return or that craped out ..... somethings from CDR King are cheap made and cheap priced and I did have some of that stuff go belly up but that was my fault for buying cheap stuff in the first place but then we aren't talking major computer parts either

They do not sell use out dated left over parts as new and boxed unless you want to go to Colon to the 2nd hand shops where they strip down old computers and sell the parts ... then you take your chances ...... how do I know they are not outdated .... simple ..... check the manufacturing date stamped on most of the items ...... or check model numbers ..... computer paraphernalia changes so fast and model numbers with it ..... within 4 months of building mine the AMD Phenom II x 4 965 which had only been out for a few months now became a AMD Phenom II x 6 and the same with my video card ..... but that is the nature of the beast ...

As far as software I purchased my Win7 Home Premium full edition (not OEM) for 6900p or $150 (back then the peso was 45)..........

post-11-0-40472400-1336274072_thumb.jpg ........

The only difference with the Southeast Asia version is that should you move to the west and need to reformat your drive and re-install windows it will not install if it detects an IP address from anything other than Southeast Asia ..... (says so on the box) but as I don't intend on leaving here it is a great bargain ...... and no I didn't buy it in a pirated copy shop but in SM Cyber Gate ......

If you are sending BB boxes just ship what ever you can or want .... you can later on update from items here .... just remember that everything is 220 volt here and if only 110v will have to be used with a step down transformer ...... like my router ... which I have sense changed to one I bought here ......

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I knew that I could count on you Marine! Excellent boots on the ground field report. Not bad for less than 150 bucks

difference of system build between PI and the states. I guess by the time you factor in shipping couple BB boxes from

the states, building a system there in PI is more cost effective, including local warranty.

Please tell us more about the UPS units (model and price range) sold there. Also, do they have converter-regulator

similar to the type 5 listed in one of my links. Or do you think it may not be necessary?

By the way, love your tower with that huge GeForce graphics card! Do they have a good selection of video games

there?

Thank you again Mike S -- Jake

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
latest anti-virus programs on CD

I disagree Jake, I've always used free programs and had no problems and they update themselves so why buy a CD when it will be out dated many weeks/months before you bought it? :)

• Like 4

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Just amazes me, all this computer jargon, it's too much for a country bumpkin like me, buggered if i know what you're talking about half the time :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

i got rid of my desktop before we moved out of the house and now all i have is my little Dell netbook. I might lash out and buy another one as a backup before we leave though. :lol:

• Like 2