Early Bath!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hey guys! Thanks but, for me, it's no worse than my being slightly myopic... Ok, very myopic! Thank god for contacts!

Jack - I'm sure you're also not looking for condolences but rather help in understanding. Going through something like this will have you going in circles trying to figure out what is best to do and finding why it happened at all. I hope I showed you that, despite how scary things can be (and yes! It's ok to be scared!), it's not only all right to stand up to these problems but that laughing at them will help you get past them much faster. Don't ask me why but it works! People around you will think you're either crazy or the bravest person they ever saw... We'll just keep it a secret that it's really just our medicine...

Thank you Bob Spot on. It happened and nothing I can do about it Smile is usually my Middle name just at this time you are right. I am trying to Understand how at 9.45AM last Friday I was laughing and Joking with the tax office Cashiers ha ha joke here somewhere and at 10.25am I am in the Accident and Emergency Department Having shots of this and shots of that and Ultra sound scans on my Neck from taking Some paracetamol for the occasional Headache to 4 different types of medicine from Aspirin to Cholesterol reducers and anti-clotting stuff maybe for the rest of my life seems to be a daunting fact of life. Yes I will openly Admit I was and am still a little scared of what could happen i have always believed in Smiles are a Good medicine and I thank you for The Reminder

Of course the Best medicine is at home waiting for my arrival the Mood swings are decreasing a little now so I hope I am on the mend somewhere along the Line

Regards Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I suffered a DVT in my leg 5 years ago, a complete blockage.... I felt it on my way out to Thailand, ignored it while on holiday and it went away. It came back on the flight back to Madrid and continued for 3 weeks after that, luckily my secretary insisted that I went to the hospital when it seemed to get worse. At the hospital after tests they slammed me in a wheel chair and found me a bed for a week, on release I had to self inject every day for a month or take a trip to the doctors to let the nurse do it. I was told that I had a very lucky escape. They wanted to put me on rat poison (Warfarin) for life with weekly dosage check ups. On studying what I could do other then taking rat poison which can cause problems itself, I decided to self treat myself by ensuring that I eat plenty of blood thinning foods and have been as right as rain ever since. Luckily I didn't have a stroke or an embolism in my lungs. Perhaps studying online how you self help may be an option Jack? Best of luck my friend.

Hi Curley This is what I think I needed. we always hear do we not that there is always someone, worse off than you..After reading some of the replies I realise that whilst it is a shock to me and my system I have really been very Lucky no way as bad as you or Bob at all.The reason I started this Thread was to find out just how People cope with things when away from a Known Elementand the responce has been great. In all the time I have been married this time, working toward that much welcomed day of retirement I never gave a thought to my own Health. To me, I was the invincible big man that would provide and make our dream come true I have certainly Scanned the net for self help issues and have come up with some surprising facts that I would never have thought of. I will make a decision on Returning home on Wednesday after the next set of Scans and follow up at the Hospital As long as the Doc says I can fly then I guess in will be Malaga/Manila here I come depending on the Hospital Reports I guess or do I hope early retirement what ever I will add a few lines to let you all Know.

Whilst I am still awake and typing can I just say a Big Thank you to all that have responded in any way your thoughts mean a lot to me and I am sure I will come through this and get back to some Normality soon

To Bob & Curly Thank you for your support and making me feel 100% more Understanding about it all and a Whole lot better in my mind

Regards Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

Going home to the Philippines may be just the best thing you can do! Obviously being with the ones you love is a major consideration. And another is the fact that your diet will change! "Whoa" you say... How's that? Simple! You have an issue with cholesterol and a change of diet is one of the things you will need to do - and where else can you find fresh vegies and other healthy foods so easily and cheaply? Keep to the fresh vegies, lots of onion and garlic, pastas with fresh tomato sauces, fresh chicken (white meat only of course), whole grain breads, and have oatmeal or bran flakes for breakfast. And don't forget the eggs! Keep a diet mostly of these and you will find you are getting better every day! That was basically my diet when I had my first heart failure and, when they did the scope, found I had no cholesteral showing at all! Of course I also had a beer just about every day - and sometimes 2 or 3!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

Going home to the Philippines may be just the best thing you can do! Obviously being with the ones you love is a major consideration. And another is the fact that your diet will change! "Whoa" you say... How's that? Simple! You have an issue with cholesterol and a change of diet is one of the things you will need to do - and where else can you find fresh veggies and other healthy foods so easily and cheaply? Keep to the fresh veggies, lots of onion and garlic, pastas with fresh tomato sauces, fresh chicken (white meat only of course), whole grain breads, and have oatmeal or bran flakes for breakfast. And don't forget the eggs! Keep a diet mostly of these and you will find you are getting better every day! That was basically my diet when I had my first heart failure and, when they did the scope, found I had no cholesterol showing at all! Of course I also had a beer just about every day - and sometimes 2 or 3!

AS they say Home is where the Heart is and this where I fully intend to be. at Home. My biggest thing just now is a lack of appetite is this Normal in these situations.?

I am sure at Home Azon will sort me out in No time

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

Going home to the Philippines may be just the best thing you can do! Obviously being with the ones you love is a major consideration. And another is the fact that your diet will change! "Whoa" you say... How's that? Simple! You have an issue with cholesterol and a change of diet is one of the things you will need to do - and where else can you find fresh veggies and other healthy foods so easily and cheaply? Keep to the fresh veggies, lots of onion and garlic, pastas with fresh tomato sauces, fresh chicken (white meat only of course), whole grain breads, and have oatmeal or bran flakes for breakfast. And don't forget the eggs! Keep a diet mostly of these and you will find you are getting better every day! That was basically my diet when I had my first heart failure and, when they did the scope, found I had no cholesterol showing at all! Of course I also had a beer just about every day - and sometimes 2 or 3!

AS they say Home is where the Heart is and this where I fully intend to be. at Home. My biggest thing just now is a lack of appetite is this Normal in these situations.?

First couple of days, having no appetite is pretty normal. Just make sure you drink lots and I bet the doc told you to walk around a bit if you can? I spent my time walking through the entire hospital - so many times I would hear the PA announcing that I was to return to my room for meds or what-ever... hehe! And it also built up my appetite so all was good.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

First couple of days, having no appetite is pretty normal. Just make sure you drink lots and I bet the doc told you to walk around a bit if you can? I spent my time walking through the entire hospital - so many times I would hear the PA announcing that I was to return to my room for meds or what-ever... hehe! And it also built up my appetite so all was good.

.....walking through the entire hospital.....

My first immediate thought was Bob chasing the nurses around.....he, he. In many ways, that is part of the recovery, isn't it Bob?

Once again gentlemen, this forum has displayed such down to earth sincerity and generosity of the heart among all our members.

Well done guys.....well done.

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

Going home to the Philippines may be just the best thing you can do! Obviously being with the ones you love is a major consideration. And another is the fact that your diet will change! "Whoa" you say... How's that? Simple! You have an issue with cholesterol and a change of diet is one of the things you will need to do - and where else can you find fresh vegies and other healthy foods so easily and cheaply? Keep to the fresh vegies, lots of onion and garlic, pastas with fresh tomato sauces, fresh chicken (white meat only of course), whole grain breads, and have oatmeal or bran flakes for breakfast. And don't forget the eggs! Keep a diet mostly of these and you will find you are getting better every day! That was basically my diet when I had my first heart failure and, when they did the scope, found I had no cholesteral showing at all! Of course I also had a beer just about every day - and sometimes 2 or 3!

If you don,t mind, What was your health like and how did you feel the 3 or 4 months leading up to the heart failure.

Your answer could be a wake up call for some of us retired guys

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Get well soon Jack

Kevin

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack!

If you don,t mind, What was your health like and how did you feel the 3 or 4 months leading up to the heart failure.

Your answer could be a wake up call for some of us retired guys

In my case I thought I had pneumonia... Even went to the emergency department at the hospital a few times and they agreed with me. At night I couldn't lay down to sleep as it felt like a big heavy rubber sheet was put over my entire body and I was suffocating. I actually had to try to sleep by kneeling on the floor next to my couch and putting my head on the arm... I finally ended up one night I couldn't even breath doing that so I called an ambulance. I asked them to take me to a different hospital because I didn't think I had pneumonia. The paramedic looked at me and laughed - "You don't have pneumonia - you're in heart failure"... And that was the start of my fun with my heart! Just an FYI - my actual problem is Atrial Fibrillation - or one chamber of my heart beats to a different drummer than the other 3. The heart failure was my heart had completely filled with blood and couldn't pump it out because of that one chamber being out of synch. Just like a pump will cavitate... I apparently was born with this and even had a full career with the Canadian Armed Forces without it being picked up. And, yes, it does run in families!

Hope this might help somebody else. But - this is getting off topic and Jack's issue...

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hey Jack, I only just got to read this topic, hope you are doing well now. As I am Bob says, if your well and can afford what could be extra expense by moving to the PI then just get on with it. Something to look forward to or keeping busy takes your mind off these things so seems like the right medication to me. Now you have me thinking too as I near the ripe old age of 50 this month. :unsure:

• Like 2