What's The Procedure?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If I'm reading this correctly (big IF), there is no need for an ECC when leaving the country if you have a current ACR-I card so no need to go to BI?

"The ACR I-Card likewise serves as the Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC), Re-entry Permit (RP) and Special Return Certificate (SRC) of the holder upon payment of the required fees."

http://immigration.g...d=107&Itemid=61

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have an ACR 1 tourist card
if you have a current ACR-I card

You will notice there are two different ACR cards. The one Mike refers to has the image on the web site and it is stamped PERMANENT. The one the opener refers to is stamped TOURIST. The tourist one has no rights or privileges attached to it. It cannot be used as an entry permit (stamped right on the card) whereas the PERMANENT one gives you the right to enter without having a throw away exit ticket. The TOURIST one cannot be used as an exit visa according to my personal inquiry at the BI office in Mandaue. Of course your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not sure about that Mike but that is sure what it says but as that may just pertain to the permanent ACR I cards (the picture on the website says permanent on it) ........ but it could now also apply to the visitor ACR I cards...... I believe that Andre007 is correct as the card still being good until the expiration date ...... I have been told that by other people including a good friend that you can keep the card even when leaving the country and if you return in less than expiration date on the card it is still good if you return until that date ..... . this is just the card now ... not your visa ....

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: You know, I had this Gut Feeling when I asked the questions that this could go on for a long time Of course the best and certain way to obtain his answer is for the OP to go to the BOI and tell his story there and let them make the decision certainly better than getting some bad news at the Airport on Leaving or trying to gain re-entry on his return we certainly learn more and more each day from these things Whatever Micheal, I hope you will post the end result here so that we can all learn for the next time it rises and I am sure it will.

BTW does a One day roundabout to bankok count as leaving the PI and re-entry on Passport for the 21 day visa waiver ? would this be considered as part of the Visa Run issue?

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

One big reason why there's confusion is that the govt web site does such a poor job of explaining anything clearly. It doesn't say anything about a Permanent or Visitor ACR, it just says "ACR". The other issue is the inconsistent way their rules are followed. I have heard and read many instances of people getting this mandatory exit clearance (EEC) from BI and not being asked for it at the airport. So the money and time spent getting it is a waste. I think Dave is probably right about the different kinds of ACRs but who knows?

• Like 2

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

My experience.

I arrived in the Philippines the first part of September of 2010 at which time I did the regular tourist visa and obtained my tourist ACR card after three months. I continued to renew as required every two months. About the middle of September of 2011 I had to return to the US for business reasons for 9 days. My flight out of the country was though Manila and I did not obtain any type of ECC or exit clearance certificate. I did have to present my ARC card and pay the exit fee which I think was about 1200 peso if my memory serves me correctly.

When I returned to the Philippines after the 9 days I did obtain an onward ticket and glad that I did because I was required to show it at the airport in Manila when I arrived at the immigration booth. I again entered on the tourist visa and had to obtain a new ARC card after my third month back in the country but I must note that my ARC card was about to expire anyway so I don't know if I could have put it off for awhile or not if it would not of been about to expire. They did not take my ARC card when I left the country.

Your experiences may and probably will vary as said by others. This is the Philippines where nothing is clear cut.

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As always the ACR cards cause confusion as these days like Dave says, there is the one for tourists and one for permanent.

This post by Paul W explains it so,

It seems now that as long as your ACR card is valid, it doesn't matter how long you leave the country for - previously it had been 59 days. Below is an extract from my web site about the changes. It meant a saving for one notorious, wel known member of another forum a saving of about 3500p!!!"As of mid February 2010, the Bureau of Immigration has implemented a new schedule of charges, as they now require tourists who stay longer than 59 days to obtain an ACR card. This is a credit card sized, plastic card which contains all your passport/visa information. The cost is US$50 and is based on that day's exchange rate which is currently around 2300 pesos: you will also pay an additional 500 peso Express Lane charge. This new policy has undergone several operational changes of direction since its inception. Originally we were led to believe that the ACR card would have to be surrendered when the tourist left the country; this proved to be false. Then those tourists who had left the country for more than 59 days were required to buy a new ACR card, (even though their old one was still current), while those who had left for less than 59 days didn't need a new card.It now seems that as long as your ACR card is current, you don't need to buy a new one when you return and get to your first extension after 59 days in the country. The longest example I have tested this on, is a client who had been out of the country for nearly 6 months; we will see how it develops!"

http://www.philippines-expats.com/index.php?/topic/7083-operational-change-in-acr-card-policy/

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have an ACR 1 tourist card, do I need to get an exit permit even though my last extension I paid for was only for single entry?
The TOURIST one cannot be used as an exit visa according to my personal inquiry at the BI office in Mandaue.

Bringing this up again because I will be leaving in a few days. I also have the ACR I TOURIST card. As I mentioned, the BI in Mandaue had verbally told me I still need an ECC. But with the differing opinions on this board I decided to Email the head office of the BI in Manila. It is indeed the case that we need ECC's after staying here for 6 months or more as Tourists. Here is the content of my email and of their email back to me:

Question:

I am a Canadian Tourist who has been in Philippines for 7 months. I will fly out of the country again on Tuesday, May 15.

I have an ACR TOURIST card. Does this serve as ECC to fly out of the country? Do I need to go to BI for a separate ECC with photos and thumb prints?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Sir:

Please be informed that temporary visitors with a total length of stay exceeding 6 months shall comply with the regular clearance certificate requirements (which is valid for thirty (30) days when issued) at the Bureau’s office at Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila:

• Duly filled-up application form,
  • Colored photo (size 2x2 ) white background,
  • Signature
  • Fingerprints,
  • Photocopy of passport biopage, latest arrival stamp and visa extension stamp,
  • Payment of appropriate immigration fees

The fees and application timeline may be found at the following link:

http://immigration.gov.ph/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=74&Itemid=117

Should you have other immigration-related queries, please do not hesitate to call the BI Helpdesk Hotline at (632) 524-3769.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
. increased font size
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

That's definitely the policy but it's discouraging when you travel long distances and pay fees to do all this and they don't even ask for it at the airport.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I guess if they don't ask for it at the airport, it's probably best to just consider it a bonus for one less thing you have to pull out. Still, I think it's probably better to have it than to not.

• Like 1