Is Carcar Really Cleaned Up?

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

I am returning home to Carcar in a few weeks and have been told by many that I may not recognize the town when I return. We left in March 2011 after a year full time and several years before that on and off. So I have some history with the place. I know a new Gaisano extension opened up since we left, and a Citi Hardware... but has the rest really changed that much? What are your perceptions and if there are improvements, what are they? and What do you think is propelling this movement?

Clearly, this post is targeted at the demographic that has experience in Carcar recently. :hystery: BUT, have any others seen a rennaisance of sorts in your "neck of the woods"?

billten
Posted
Posted

Oh don't worry Ron, you will recognize it ;-)

On the plus side since Mr Apura has been the Mayor:

Giasano has had a huge expansion and improvement, its still the same basic stuff for sale, there just is more of it. No real improvement in selection, better surroundings to shop.

There is a new Metrobank opening in the mall soon.

Citi hardware is open and pretty good for most things.

The market has been cleaned up AT LOT, if you shop there you will notice a massive change in cleanliness and organization.

The city has enforced a 5 meter easement that has forced all the businesses that used to crowd all the way down to the road to be demolished and move back 5 meters. This has given the area around the Rotunda a much better, less crowded feeling.

There is a new diversion road that takes traffic from the Barili road across to the Argao road without going through town, its moving very slowly, may not end in our lifetimes...

There is a regular clean-up crew that picks garbage, it helps a bit.

Lots of new buildings along the main road, perhaps 4 or 5 in the last 12 months, all 4 stories and looking very clean still.

What is reputed to be on its way:

The market will be moving down towards the beach and the space where the market was will be the new Carcar city bus terminal.

A sports oval (???) is planned, don't know where.

Oh, and closer to home (for you), there is a new subdivision being built in Guadalupe, its up towards the Barangay hall.

That's about it i think...

Bill

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I have lived in Argao (about 30 min south of Carcar) for 5 months. Besides the public market there is very little shopping here but none of the congestion of Carcar and relatively clean air. Someone told me that tricycles were not allowed on the main highway in Carcar, only trisikads, if that's true it must be the most ignored ordinance in the country and that's saying something. Argao has some good things going for it, the public market is well away from the main highway so you don't have all the congestion like around the Carcar circle and they are building a Prince Warehouse but it's also well away from the main highway. For shopping, I skip Carcar even though it's much closer and go to Cebu City a couple of times a month, like today. The Gaisano "supermarket" in Carcar is awful, imo, one of the worst-managed stores I have ever seen. Maybe it will be better when they finally finish the construction. Haven't been to the Citi Hardware store yet.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Each time I pass through there it seems to get cleaner. And yes they are carrying out some very good improvements. Maybe one day I will stop there and not just stay on the bus going through.

• Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted

OK i just drove by the new home of Carcar's:

Public city terminal

City market

Auction market for animals

Olympic sized oval and fitness center

I was wrong about the placement I asked around and found the correct location, its all being built in that HUGE GREAT SWAMP opposite the Carcar Tennis Club on the right side of the street before Gaisano on the way into town. Seriously, ITS A SWAMP EVERYBODY!!! Hillarious...

• Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted
The Gaisano "supermarket" in Carcar is awful, imo, one of the worst-managed stores I have ever seen.

Mike, you never saw it the way IT USED TO BE!!! Seriously brutal, lol... In comparison, this is a huge improvement, but, i also went to Cebu City today to do my main shopping ;-)

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
but has the rest really changed that much? What are your perceptions and if there are improvements, what are they? and What do you think is propelling this movement?

One less undesirable resident now, must be a plus for many including the reputation of all foreigners. Think I will shut up now. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

billten
Posted
Posted
What do you think is propelling this movement?

Nice Apura... Big changes at city hall...

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Nice Apura has made many many changes replaced just about the entire police force , all the traffic enforcers new , The market big improvement

The Slaughter house has been fixed and a new one is being built , The boracats have been run out of town , The girly bars downtown are shut down ,

So many changes like enforcing helmet laws , a big dog catching crew ,A new tricycle depot at the market, garbage pick up twice a week , I met the Mayor and like him

Wait until you see the rotunda around the church at X-mas it was a huge improvement , The fiesta was way way more organized and much better IMO.

Making the road 4 lane threw most of carcar is in the works. as well as a by-pass to ease traffic around Carcar .Also you will see all the new trucks the city has looks like a new fleet.

Its not just the improvements buy I feel a new attitude among the locals like keeping your street clean . Also many plants being planted like both sides of the hi way going to barili is in the works.

Nice is a Business man and it looks like hes moving Carcar forward in a modern fashion he was not liked at all for his first year (people hate change) but now I don,t think he will have any problem getting re-elected because of all the changes . hell you can get a ticket for littering at the market now LOL (true)

There more stuff being done and built all the time Carcar is going to boom

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

CEBU, Philippines - A man was shot dead after allegedly trying to shoot it out with the deputy police chief of Carcar City Saturday afternoon.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=806870&publicationSubCategoryId=107