Interesting

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

http://pnb.com.phThis ATM card sharing thing gives me the Shivers, I would think. Totally against any of the Worlds bank's remit on Identity fraud and I would hazard a guess to be frowned on by regulators on a money laundering issue

seems PNB have various ways of transferring cash Bank to Bank Country to country via participating banks throughout the World. I had a trawl through the Website and have learned a lot Hope it helps.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

To go one step further on this, I have just googled up ATM card money laundering and it is amazing to find that it is now growing to a level, that is just not believable, too many web sites to include but anyone interested, just google it. ATM card money laundering and it will open your eyes wide.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
just google it.

Sorry to wander off topic but aren't you a little bit afraid 'Big Brother' is watching? I have suspicions that anyone who searches anything like money and laundering ends up in an FBI file somewhere.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
just google it.

Sorry to wander off topic but aren't you a little bit afraid 'Big Brother' is watching? I have suspicions that anyone who searches anything like money and laundering ends up in an FBI file somewhere.

WHY AFRAID! i am English and as a Bailiff to the UK Courts With a Financial Duty of care to the FSC Financial Service Commission on A World wide issue, I am merely Pointing out to members here the possible outcome of such Actions of ATM CARD sharing take it for what it is worth. to me, I am doing my Job personally as I would professionally. the FBI has no interest in me, if these Agencies spent more time on Crooks and less on the Individual, life could be a little more simple. Hope this does not turn out to be an, I Told you so story, Big Brother has never been a problem if the rules are followed Share an ATM card at your peril. just read the reports and make your own minds up Dave this is not to me off topic but most definitely on Topic Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
WHY AFRAID! i am English

I am Canadian, but that has not stopped the US from pulling Canadians out of my country and taking them to the US for crimes that they claim jurisdiction over. And they claim jurisdiction in a lot of areas. I am cautious.

In addition, my flight to Canada has a stopover in the US. What if they checked my laptop as I was passing through? Would they detain me if they found something on there they did not like? I don't doubt it for a minute..

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
WHY AFRAID! i am English

I am Canadian, but that has not stopped the US from pulling Canadians out of my country and taking them to the US for crimes that they claim jurisdiction over. And they claim jurisdiction in a lot of areas. I am cautious.

In addition, my flight to Canada has a stopover in the US. What if they checked my laptop as I was passing through? Would they detain me if they found something on there they did not like? I don't doubt it for a minute..

If they want to search my laptop they better have a good reason as well as a search warrant. I have nothing illegal but it's the principle of it all as in unreasonable search and seizure. If you don't fight for your rights, some bureaucrat will take it away. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
If they want to search my laptop they better have a good reason as well as a search warrant. I have nothing illegal but it's the principle of it all as in unreasonable search and seizure. If you don't fight for your rights, some bureaucrat will take it away.

Unfortunately the 4th amendment to the US Constitution doesn't mean much anymore. Courts have ruled that it does not apply when crossing an international border regardless of whether you are a US Citizen. That includes searching your personal electronics or seizing your phone or laptop.

Don't keep any sensitive information on electronic devices you carry with you when traveling internationally. Keep sensitive information on the internet hosted by some "cloud" service or online file storage. For those who are more techie you can try using something like TrueCrypt on your laptop to not only encrypt files but make them so they are not even visible to others unless you have unlocked TrueCrypt. All sensitive information should be encrypted regardless of whether you store it online or on your laptop.

For example, I use a program to store account names, passwords and other bits of data like bank account numbers, PIN's, phone numbers, etc. Before I leave on a trip I export the data to an encrypted PDF with some random name like InsurancePolicy.pdf which I store on my smart phone and cheap UMPC laptop I use when I travel.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
WHY AFRAID! i am English

Then lets all blame Google for having web after web pages on the dangers of ATM fraud and Money laundering, that people are frightened to read shall.we ? Go ahead and share an ATM card, then I can sing" Who's sorry now" when it goes wrong. People do Not get arrested for taking proper care of their Funds and trying to prevent things happening That just, may be connected to fraud.I would be more cautious and worried as to why the guy wanted an ATM card for MY bank account in the First place sorry but this, I do not understand at all, unless for A Devious reason, so not to have any banking records for liabilities to the BIR and such like. we know people here like to deal in cash so it can be Hidden and what better way to do it than with an ATM card that is Not theirs and thus fairly untraceable there are other ways of paying rents or Mortgages that are up front and in keeping with normal banking procedures I gave one example at PNB I wonder how many read it or maybe to afraid that big brother would like to know why they need a bank account.

This is after all, not my problem, all I tried to do, is hint at the banking worlds advice and information on the growing amount of laundering and fraud using the ATM card.for which I should maybe be getting a Pat on the back for helping them to prevent and catch these unscrupulous people and not having to worry about who, is watching what I am reading in the privacy of my own home and Considering the type of Institute I work for it is definitely within my remit to research this type of thing.

I rest my case on this Folks. If it was boring then I apologize

Jack P :tiphat:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Not boring at all Jack! And the rest of the posts here are pretty good too!

My original introduction to the world of IT was while I was in the service... And I specialized in Security. Now I really haven't kept up at all over the last 10 years or so but I can say and that we do have very good reason to be a little paranoid of Big Brother, the Banks, Big Business, certain governments and a few other I won't mention!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
just google it.

So what if it did end up in a file, unless you are intending on doing something illegal or have done so then who cares. What if you googled scams as you wanted to know how to avoid it, would you be worried that one day you will be accused of setting up a scam? Or perhaps you did a search for news stories on the little girl murdered last year, are you now a suspect.

Big brother wont hurt you unless you are doing something wrong and then it has to be proven, not to mention the billions of searches done on many search engines each day.

Just my humble laid back opinion. :)

• Like 2