Barangay Captain Anyone Have Reason To.....

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Any forum members go through their local Barangay Captain or your counsel member to mediate or settle issues? Have you gone to the Barangay office to meet him or the Barangay counsel member representing your exact sitio? Being that a Foreigner is an outsider and not registered to vote I'm curious how they would respond.

I did not know that Barangay is a ancient Filipino custom until I met my wife. I thought Spanish barrio but its pure Filipino.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

On our last visit, I went by our Barangay Office to introduce myself to the Captain and inform him of our upcoming move to the area perminatly. Never got to meet the gent. Made it to his executive assistant. Asked a few questions and left. But then again our Barangay is in a suburb of metro manila. Things might be diffent in the out back.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Our Barangay Captain is a nice guy very helpful and by all means Foreigner friendly, as long as he gets the donations he asks for

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

hey scott what part of metro manila are you in ??? we have a house about 20 mins from taytay rizal , it would be nice to have a few forum members that around manila to meet , maybe if im there in oct we can go for a beer ??? as for meet the captain i never met ours but i did get a ride one time when we were just on a walk , im not sure if he was the head honcho but he worked for the big guy !!!!

i think this time i will head down and bring a bottle of johnny walker black to do a little sucking up LOL

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

OUC...We will be living in San Dionisio, Paranaque. Hope to get there this coming December

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted
OUC...We will be living in San Dionisio, Paranaque. Hope to get there this coming December

ahhh ok i know where paranaque is thats not far from the airport !!! i used to stay at kabayan hotel at edsa and tafft ave you know where that is ??? anyway im hoping i will be there from oct until early jan as i said maybe we can meet up for a beer i know a few places around that area or theres always malate to hang out in :)

O-U-C

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Any forum members go through their local Barangay Captain or your counsel member to mediate or settle issues? Have you gone to the Barangay office to meet him or the Barangay counsel member representing your exact sitio? Being that a Foreigner is an outsider and not registered to vote I'm curious how they would respond.

I did not know that Barangay is a ancient Filipino custom until I met my wife. I thought Spanish barrio but its pure Filipino.

Excellent post starter Dan!

Me being a Filipino but "dollar speaking", I have some mixed feelings about exposing myself and family

to city officials. On the positive side, I totally agree and would encourage a quick and informal intro like

what Scott H tried to do. Might as well try to get on his good side before hitting them up with complaints

later on (if any).

I feel the same way about introducing myself to the local PNP. Just drop by and surprise the PNP chief

with a couple boxes of pizzas. Bring your wife or girlfriend along to take some group photos. I've been

known to pass out a couple bottles of cold water to those manning a police check point. Either way, you

will immediately become friends to them. Something that you can use later if necessary.

And the negative side? Obviously, there will be someone who will try to take advantage of you. I believe

one can effectively prevent or reduce that by displaying self confidence. Basically using your body

language that you can be the friendliest guy around but you take no chit. Your wife or girlfriend must

also demonstrate that same demeanor. Be respectful but yet be affirmative.

Hey Joe, buy me dreenk -- Jake

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 3

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Our Barangay captian is a good guy, my wifes uncle is also a counsel member and my neighbor, i have been there a few times with my wife and introduced to the other counsel members, most who are family members or close friends they seem to settle a lot of issues that come up in the Barangay

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

A Friend of mine in Bacong Dumaguete, once asked his BC to help have some Cows moved from some Land next to his house. The land was owned by a friend of his and they were going to start to clear it for building, as this was private land, he thought this was a bit cheeky to park some noisy cows and the cows were noisy I know as I had heard them. My friend complained through the channels to no avail, he went to the BC's office and did a little table thumping (oh oh, wrong move, he demanded to know if the BC would have the owner of the Cows remove them ASAP. OK smiled the BC so my friend told me, i have a meeting with the Mayor this Afternoon and as they are his cows, i will relay your request to him.As far as I am aware the cows are still there and no House built. no building permit maybe. as foreigners, it is always best i think, to tongue in check certain issues before we have the Full facts. right or wrong, Spare land ! Park a Cow.Better some one else has the noise and not the Owner of the cow/s having money did not work in this instance having power did.

Having said this, when my daughter needed a certificate from our BC that she had grown 10 different Plants, for a school competition. he was only too Pleased to sign it

he even visited the Lot to see them, if I can locate the Photos I will post them

the Moral I guess, is all about approach, national or Foreigner

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

A Friend of mine in Bacong Dumaguete, once asked his BC to help have some Cows moved from some Land next to his house. The land was owned by a friend of his and they were going to start to clear it for building, as this was private land, he thought this was a bit cheeky to park some noisy cows and the cows were noisy I know as I had heard them. My friend complained through the channels to no avail, he went to the BC's office and did a little table thumping (oh oh, wrong move, he demanded to know if the BC would have the owner of the Cows remove them ASAP. OK smiled the BC so my friend told me, i have a meeting with the Mayor this Afternoon and as they are his cows, i will relay your request to him.As far as I am aware the cows are still there and no House built. no building permit maybe. as foreigners, it is always best i think, to tongue in check certain issues before we have the Full facts. right or wrong, Spare land ! Park a Cow.Better some one else has the noise and not the Owner of the cow/s having money did not work in this instance having power did.

Having said this, when my daughter needed a certificate from our BC that she had grown 10 different Plants, for a school competition. he was only too Pleased to sign it

he even visited the Lot to see them, if I can locate the Photos I will post them

the Moral I guess, is all about approach, national or Foreigner

:th_thbestpost:

That is excellent advise and more poreigners should follow it ...... me .... I don't introduce myself to anyone and keep a very low profile .... I suppose if I lived in a small Barangay it would be different ...... :tiphat:

• Like 2