Buying Engagment Ring In Manila?

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will be in Manila soon to buy a ring for my girlfriend. I have read on some sites that the quality is terrible for the prices but I don't have much time or choice as I fly back to Australia the next day and I want to give her the ring before I go.

A couple of places that I hear might be OK in Manila to check out are:

Ongpin Area

Greenbelt Area Makati near Landmark.

Binondo Chinatown

I have never been to Mainila besides stopping in for flights and one night at a airport hotel.

I will be staying in the Makati area so something closer to their would be ideal.

I really would appreciate some ideas as i have little time and no knowledge really of jewelry. Should I bother to spend a day researching the quality of diamonds etc?

How can I find a ring that is not going to be some cheap chinese fake or throw away thing that is off bad quality?

My budget is 10 - 20k. and I have about 4 hours to find one when I'm there.

Edited by Adventurer

Campero
Posted
Posted

I seem to remember seeing some quality items in Greenbelt on my last trip, but to be honest, I don't think you are going to get much in the way of quality on that type of budget. Even used gold from the pawn shop is going to cost you that type of price. There was also a second hand quality watch shop (Rolex's etc) near the jewelry stores there too, so if you can find that shop, look around that area. Good luck Sir.

Regards,

Campero

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Greenbelt or Greenhills are meant to be more higher-end, probably Greenhills.

Yes I know my budget is limited. But I have read a lot of people going to Ongpin and getting good deals but they don't offer certificates there so I would never really know if it's a good deal or not!

I also have a problem as I don't know her ring size, she is slim & small like many girls here. She knows I will have a ring for her when we meet in a few days. I have been traveling around the islands so this is the first time we will be together for awhile.

I could also consider taking her with me to the shop and help pick it but she has already told me her preference is for a surprise. I guess that could also mean she won't know the price although I'm sure she does not expect me to get an expensive one plus as she works in the city getting jeeps each day I would be worried if she was wearing something that could put her in danger.

The other idea is to buy the ring from somewhere like bluenile in the USA online which everyone seems to say is the place to buy and have it arrive in Australia before I fly back here in 3 weeks. That way I would get good quality for the price although I would need to have her exact size. But then I have the problem of what to tell her when I see her that I don't have a ring yet, propose without a ring?

A lot to think about....

• Like 1

Campero
Posted
Posted

whoops...........I did mean Greenhills..............duh

Can't you send it to an APO box of an American there? It should be there in like 10 days? You could have it resized in the Philippines, or just ask her to use one of those cutout ring sizer things, you can print them from online and she can tell you her ringsize.

At any rate, Good Luck!

Regards,

Campero

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

whoops...........I did mean Greenhills..............duh

Can't you send it to an APO box of an American there? It should be there in like 10 days? You could have it resized in the Philippines, or just ask her to use one of those cutout ring sizer things, you can print them from online and she can tell you her ringsize.

ok,what I meant was order a ring online from USA and yes they deliver to Australia, that is no problem besides that she would not have a ring before I fly out in a few days. I would then get it delivered to Australia and when I come back to Philippines in 3 weeks I could bring it with me, The only issue with this is she will not have the ring before I travel and we were both sort of looking forward to that occasion before I leave.

Yes I think I might get her to download a ring size chart, it's probably a good idea. I think Amazon have one....

Edited by Adventurer

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's virtually impossible to get a perfect ring size because your fingers change size during the day, swelling in the morning and decreasing later in the day. Also smaller in cold climates. I would get it professionally measured and I would recommend a "comfort fit" ring with rounded inside edges. As for getting them resized, there is a press that can decrease and increase size w/o cutting but I don't know if they have it here. I bought wedding rings recently in Cebu and the only option for resizing was to cut the band so I opted not to do it. Try to get the size right.

• Like 4

Campero
Posted
Posted (edited)
because your fingers change size during the day, swelling in the morning and decreasing later in the day

I noticed that, plus certain times of the month I retain a lot of water.

Regards,

Campero

Edited by Campero
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

so then it sounds like it would be better if she came with me to pick it out or could I get her to visit a local jewelry shop and get a measurement?

Edit: I have decided to get a placeholder ring, just something inexpensive but something she might like to still wear and keep in the future. Then after the proposal we could go out to the shops together and take a look locally. If we are not happy with what we see in the short time we will have then I will ask her if she can wait till I come back and I will buy a nice one from Bluenile and I can by then know what rings she would like too.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Good idea on the "placeholder ring" you could try second hand rings on ebay.... you'll probably get far better value for money there than in any jewellers shop.... somebody has to pay for all the expensive shop fittings lighting etc and you can be certain that "that somebody" is the customer.

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

I bought my ex a ring, it cost over 60,000p, Always scared to wear it,,,, She sold it for 2,000p

I would never spend that amout again, 5 or 10,000 is plenty.

Congrats.

• Like 2