Living On A Boat?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey all! I'm having fun today with really dumb questions - but the answers could be interesting as well as something I might consider...

Has anyone ever tried to live on a boat in the Philippines and, more specifically, around Cebu? Sailboat or otherwise? I was wondering if the government would allow it, if there are facilities such as berthing to accomplish this with, or even if it would even be safe to try!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Bob, you know the ole saying there is no such thing as a dumb question? Well your pushing the line here lololol, just kidding. I cant say anything about Cebu, but about Manila, others can tell you if they are similar. I was interested in getting a sailboat. The only Marinas I found was the Manila Yaught club and a yaught club in Subic. In order to dock there you need to be a member, the buy in fee is about $10,000. Then you need to rent the slip. Dont know about services (water, electricity and stuff) but consider if there is water you shouldnt drink it, so you will end up shlepping all your water to you boat. And remember a little weather event they have there every so often...Typhoons. Again I can speak for cebu or other areas, but in the metro area...not real practical.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Here is an organization working towards a good solution for living onboard a boat. They had considered building these in the Philippines at one point.

http://www.ericssoncouncil.org/

This is not an endorsement of this organization. Buyer beware, etc.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

There are literally thousands of floating villages throughout the islands that make their home and

livelihood aboard large bancas boats and other bamboo structures. Of course, it would take a

drastic change in lifestyle, most of it would be sacrificing western values and behavior.

As Scott H mentioned, it would be imperative for me to secure a slip in an established yacht club but

some conveniences still need to be sacrifice. First and foremost (I think) is security and comfort.

Living aboard any vessel in the tropical zone, you probably need constant trade winds to ventilate

the hot interior of a yacht. Even then, it may still be not enough. A miniature wind mill or solar panels

or both could power up fans or a small AC unit. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the overall monthly

expenses living aboard any type of vessel in PI.

But on the other hand, I would not hesitate renting a yacht and cruise for the weekend.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
But on the other hand, I would not hesitate renting a yacht and cruise for the weekend.

Hey, maybe for the next get together in person we could rent a boat for a 3 hour cruise. ;)

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Hey, maybe for the next get together in person we could rent a boat for a 3 hour cruise. ;)

The next question is Mary Ann or Ginger.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

The next question is Mary Ann or Ginger.

Boy, that's a tough one to call. The long legs of Ginger or the pretty, petite brunette Mary Ann.

OK, I'll take both......he, he.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Mary Ann hands down!!!

:mocking:

Edited by i am bob

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Bob, you know the ole saying there is no such thing as a dumb question? Well your pushing the line here lololol, just kidding. I cant say anything about Cebu, but about Manila, others can tell you if they are similar. I was interested in getting a sailboat. The only Marinas I found was the Manila Yaught club and a yaught club in Subic. In order to dock there you need to be a member, the buy in fee is about $10,000. Then you need to rent the slip. Dont know about services (water, electricity and stuff) but consider if there is water you shouldnt drink it, so you will end up shlepping all your water to you boat. And remember a little weather event they have there every so often...Typhoons. Again I can speak for cebu or other areas, but in the metro area...not real practical.

Now Scott, I've spent my life pushing that line... :mocking:

Seriously a little typhoon doesn't scare me.... In my days yachting with the Canadian military, we often would head into hurricanes - cat 4 to 5 - because nobody else was crazy enough to follow us in! A 280 Tribal Class destroyer is well known for rolling (as opposed to pitching) and we would compete to see who could walk the highest up the bulkheads... I'm not the only one who has left boot prints on the deck head (ceiling)! And I never could figure out why the Air department and Supply would be the only ones sitting back drinking all the beer! Ok, so the cooks were too... hehe! Seriously, if I was living on a boat? Typhoon means a nice romantic weekend with candles and wine while enjoying ourselves in a nice hotel! :dance:

Now what would make me forget this idea immediately? The cost of joining that yacht club / marina!

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Here is an organization working towards a good solution for living onboard a boat. They had considered building these in the Philippines at one point.

http://www.ericssoncouncil.org/

This is not an endorsement of this organization. Buyer beware, etc.

I've looked at their "houseboats" before - I think the general consensus was that they are ok for a lake but are too shallow to handle the ocean... I think it was a 3 foot draw? ( I know! I know! It's draught but since this an international forum and most other countries use "draw"... :mocking: