Falling Coconuts

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Do people get killed by coconuts falling off the tree? Sometimes the trees are very tall and the coconuts are very big, surly it would do some damage if you were unlucky enough to be walking past as one fell. There are many coconut tress in the Philippines in some parts at least, which is a good thing as I love eating coconut and buko juice. I have to say I had the same issue with golf, I could never understand why people don't walk around with protective hats when playing golf as the balls were flying everywhere and I was often hearing of people been hit in the head?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm sure they do, I read in other places of this happening so look out. Up in Port Douglas and other places here in Aus they have big wire baskets around the tree to stop the nuts from falling to the ground, does not stop the nuts climbing them though. :)

• Like 2

Campero
Posted
Posted

Pardon the pun, but in a Nutshell, Yes!

I always try to avoid walking under coconut trees.

I have had a number of roosters on their improvised roosts (Bamboo roost nailed to a coconut tree) killed from falling coconuts too.

In the province the locals always avoid walking or lounging under coconut trees if at all avoidable.

Regards,

Campero

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yup ..... and here is another tree just as bad ..... but I don't believe they have them in the Philippines ...... but i could be wrong

Called a Monkey Pine or Monkey Puzzle tree ....... my neighbor in Florida had one and you could hear these jokers from my yard crashing down through the limbs when they fell .... hard hat area ..... :hystery: :hystery: ...... and no that ain't me .... found the picture on the net .....

post-11-0-48107300-1338371314_thumb.jpg

Also Jack Fruit comes to mind as they get pretty big also

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

very interesting. When I was staying at a resort where there was a lot of very tall coconut trees, they had a guy come around regularly and climb the trees to prune them and bring all the ripe coconuts down. This was done especially if they expected a lot of people turning up to stay.

I was actually told only the rotten coconuts fall down and they have no milk or are very light. I have to say that is the only ones I have seen on the ground too but I have seen some small very immature coconuts that fell off after a storm.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

At least, when walking under a coconut tree, we don't have to worry about golf balls... Or do we?

:mocking:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A long time ago, a coconut fell and killed a visitor in Waikiki. The family sued collecting millions in an out-of-court settlement. Since then, all the nuts are removed regularly in areas that are populated. Private property owners do the same by paying contractors a hefty fee. Cheaper than purchasing liability insurance.

There is a story of a Filipina who was drinking the juice from an unhusked coconut while riding a bus speeding down the provincial highway. She then threw the shell out the window. It bounced and smashed the windshield of a car killing the driver who lost control. Because the driver was a foreign national, it raised a big stink and the story was picked up by the international media. They went through the pretense of arresting her, but the case never made it to trial. Of course, there was no way to collect millions like in the United States.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

A long time ago, a coconut fell and killed a visitor in Waikiki. The family sued collecting millions in an out-of-court settlement. Since then, all the nuts are removed regularly in areas that are populated. Private property owners do the same by paying contractors a hefty fee. Cheaper than purchasing liability insurance.

There is a story of a Filipina who was drinking the juice from an unhusked coconut while riding a bus speeding down the provincial highway. She then threw the shell out the window. It bounced and smashed the windshield of a car killing the driver who lost control. Because the driver was a foreign national, it raised a big stink and the story was picked up by the international media. They went through the pretense of arresting her, but the case never made it to trial. Of course, there was no way to collect millions like in the United States.

It never would have made it to trial. The system will never allow one of its citizens to ever lose face to a foreigner, even if the citizen was in the wrong. Remember, this is a very nationalistic country where we as foreigners have absolutely zero rights here. Not even the right to defend ourselves. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There was a thread on this a while back: See thread here.

But I have often wondered if anyone has been hit by a falling coconut while riding a motorcycle on rural roads. In rural areas there are sometimes coconut trees overhanging the roadway and OFTEN I see Gmelina trees overhanging the road. One of them dropped a nut on me and it hit me in the shoulder while riding. It caused a bruise and hurt a bit so I wondered what a coconut would have done. Watch out when riding, especially in a wind.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A friends car windshield was broken by a coconut on base housing when I lived in Hawaii.

And I almost got in trouble in Tonga trying to knock a coconut from a tree... it seems they all belong to the King... who knew?

• Like 1