Buying A Cell Phone To Take Back To Philippines

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

What type of phone must it be to work with the networks there i;.e Smart & Sun? GSM, NextGen, 2G, 3G, 4G etc etc?

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

When I came here 5 years ago I brought 2 Motorola RaZor tri-band phones but have sense gone to the cheaper brands you can buy here as I don't plan on leaving ..... my first was a Nokia and now I have switched to a MyPhone B88 Duo ..... cost 750p in SM phone marts in the Cyber-Zone ..... that way if I get snatched I won't cry ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

By the way my S-in-L has had one of these for almost 2 years and it is still holding up ..... I've had mine for 2 months and I love it ..... easiest phone I ever used to text on .... very fast and you don't have to wait for the key pad to change to the next letter like if you text A and then B it takes just a split second .... no waiting like other phones .... comes with a large color screen .... half a*sed camera .... MP3 player .... FM radio ..... memory card up to 8 gig .... even has a ultra-violet light to detect fake pesos (it works ... tried it in a shop that had a fake 500p note in the glass counter) .... and dual sim cards .... anyway just a thought .......... :tiphat:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Nokia brand was the last 2 we sent over. I forget which bands work where. Its been 6 plus years since I have been to the islands :unsure:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I purchased an inexpensive Nokia phone in the Philippines. During my infrequent visits, I recharge the battery, buy a SIM card and "load" from any cellular store. The sim cards are inexpensive, less than P50. Downside is the phone number changes. Store clerks tell me any US cell phones will work in the Philippines if there is a SIM. The shared system is call, GSMA.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

As long as the phone is a quad band. The RP and most of the world uses 900 & 1800 while the US uses 850 & 1900.

• Like 3

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

As long as the phone is a quad band. The RP and most of the world uses 900 & 1800 while the US uses 850 & 1900.

this is what I'm trying to find out as I already have found a couple of phones here in Aussie that I want to know if they are compatible or not, I think they are 2G, is 2G going to work for me in Philippines? I guess the main thing is to know what I can't use there?

Edited by Adventurer

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I agree totally. It was the problem I had when visiting Canada, which I want to add is the other country that uses 850 and 1900. So triband works everywhere I have tried it, but quadband makes me feel better about it.

I just purchased a nice, inexpensive quadband Nokia in Canada for $75 that the Philippine born salesmen assures me can be unlocked in Phils. I believe he is right but I had a phone screwed up before when trying to get it unlocked in Phils. Its worth the risk though, for $75. (The phone they screwed up 4 years ago was a $500 phone and I'm still bichin and moanin about it LOL)

samatm
Posted
Posted

I bought a Nokia 2 years ago that looked exactly like what was being sold in the PHilippines. I used the phone in the US for my trip home 3 weeks and felt confident I could get it unlocked once back in the RP. WRONG. The shops always said .. 'we dont have the crack code yet come back in 1 month " Well the shops never ever did get the code for this model. Every now and then I might check to see if someone can unlock it just for jollies... Nope. NOkia did a good job locking the sucker up. No worries it was a cheap fone which I can always use on my next trip back home.

Don't buy a phone in OZ expecting it to work here. It might not. Just plan on buying a cheapie there and cheapie here (in the phils) .

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted
Just plan on buying a cheapie there

I agree, i bought a Nokia 1112 (advertised as the 'indestructable phone') on sale for P995. I dropped it down a flight of stairs and the thing is still working no problem. Buy cheap, buy local, buy disposable. And when you are ready to leave, give it to your g/f as a present, she will love you more...

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

What type of phone must it be to work with the networks there i;.e Smart & Sun? GSM, NextGen, 2G, 3G, 4G etc etc?

I'm certainly no expert on electronic devices, but i can tell you that over the years i have taken lots of different phones from Australia to the Philippines. ALL of them have worked no problem at all.Have also had phones unlocked there (both Telstra and Optus) I believe Globe Philippines is now using 4G.I think NextGen is just Telstra "talk" for 3G.My Nokia NextGen works there too!Pretty sure Smart will work with all your above list.

I agree with the comments about having a cheap phone and that is what i now have. Mrs Bundy has just bought one of those samsung galaxy smart phones................smart my arse, what a load of crap, gimme the cheap Nokia's anyday........at least they're easy to use for dummies like me :unsure:

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 2