Buying A Cell Phone To Take Back To Philippines

deevey
Posted
Posted

You can pick up most models of Phones locally for less than the cost of buying abroad these days - a few years ago it was worthwhile alright. 

Personally I would not bother shopping for a phone with the intention of bringing it over with the exception probably being an iPhone or Samsung if i happened to see a bargain but would only buy either of these from HK or Singapore as they are automatically factory unlocked by law. 

What a shock. It used to be 500 pesos to get a phone like that unlocked. Now the quotes are 1500 to 2000

Ouch! - its only $10 to get a c3 unlock code calculated and sent to you online!

I know in Manila in the likes of Greenhills / Farmers Market / St Francis you can get still get pretty much any phone unlocked (with a few obscure exceptions) for p500 or less if your really early midweek. 

I just picked up a Google Nexus 4.  They come unlocked from the factory and there is only one version good for around the world anywhere.  In Canada, you can order it through the Google Playstore for $309 (8 Gb) or $359 (16 Gb).  Unfortunately I don't think you can purchase through Google if you are in the Philippines but you can still buy at most phone stores.

FYI The 8gb LG Nexus4 (same phone) can be bought here in Manila Unlocked brand new from a retailer for P11,500 and the 16gb for P13,500

Also I've bought (and sold) a few phones on http://www.tipidcp.com its kinda the go-to local buy and sell for cell phones just so long as you are asking the right questions you can pick up some great deals on new and used phones. 

• Like 2

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

The phone o buy is a Nokia phone.  For the simple reason that its mapping app is true offline usable unlike google. And yes I have a Nokia N8 and it works great and used the maps app to find a house in Laguna I had rented. Took me straight to the gate 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Everybody will have their preferences. Once I'm boots down, I am loading Ubuntu Touch onto my Nexus 4 and buying a Myphone for my daily toy. Why a Myphone? Will work in the Philippines (obviously), dual SIMS, great specs and low cost... Why not?

Sent by Gaseous Monkeys using tin cans, a very long string and Tapatalk...

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

I agree that everyone has the own preferences.  I'm looking at cherry mobile at the moment, as good as a Samsung just 1/4 the price, though not for me.  The point I was trying to make was for those wanting to use mapping software the Nokia's have true offline mapping

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I agree that everyone has the own preferences.  I'm looking at cherry mobile at the moment, as good as a Samsung just 1/4 the price, though not for me.  The point I was trying to make was for those wanting to use mapping software the Nokia's have true offline mapping

After my girls survived the dengue fever, I bought cherry mobile flares (4,000p) for them and my niece. They are happy with that. Taking selfies all day long. Never more than an inch from their hands 24/7.