Thinking Of Moving To Negros Occidental

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

I would like to know if anyone can tell me about the area. Where are the BI offices? Where is the better places to live? What kind of transportation is available to go to the island? What type of people? Where to find houses or apartments for rent? What hotels are available?

Thanks

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would like to know if anyone can tell me about the area. Where are the BI offices? Where is the better places to live? What kind of transportation is available to go to the island? What type of people? Where to find houses or apartments for rent? What hotels are available?

Thanks

I live in the capital city of Negros Occidental otherwise known as Bacolod City for almost 5 years. Yes I know where BI, LTO, City Hall etc are. Are you already here yet? Edited by Steve & Myrlita

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted
I live in the capital city of Negros Occidental otherwise known as Bacolod City for almost 5 years. Yes I know where BI, LTO, City Hall etc are. Are you already here yet?

We are in Liloan in Cebu right now. Our lease expires in August. It appears as tho we will be staying here in the Phil's for at least another year or so. We would like to move to another island. I am trying to find out as much info about the area where you are living as I can. Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Steve I would be interested in your take on Negros also ..... we have family living south of you but it would be good to hear a foreigners point of view ..... and as I know both you and your asawa have been to Cebu you can give us a comparison ..... what say you .... I am gonna miss S&R though ..... :th_unfair:

phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would urge you to come visit us in Dumaguete City. Over 2,500 expats living here in a friendly, small but growing town environment. Great Schools and Hospitals. Lots of good places to eat. Pretty girls. affordable rentals. Easy to get to Siquihor, Bohol, Cebu, CDO or Dipolog-Mindanao by Fast Craft, Ferry or Roro. What can I say, I am prejudice to the place. I would definetely put it ahead of Bacolod. My bad. I see you meant Negros Occidental. I would urge you to look at Negros Oriental as well.

Edited by phildiver

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Over 2,500 expats living here

Thanks for the info but that factor alone would be my biggest turn off ...... but to each his own .... :cheersty:

• Like 1

phildiver
Posted
Posted
Over 2,500 expats living here

Thanks for the info but that factor alone would be my biggest turn off ...... but to each his own .... :cheersty:

That is really interesting. Have you had a bad experience being around other expats or just want to avoid them in general? It's actually a friendly place and everyone keeps to themselves so if you don't want to be around them you can easily avoid them. Just curious as Bacolod is also a fairly big city and there are many foreigners there just more spread out. Yoi can always go South of Dumaguete 30 - 40 minutes down by Zamboguita, Siaton areas. Hey it's worth taking a look. Anyway I wish you best of success wherever you end up.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I spent 4 days in Bacolod back in Sept thinking I might like to live there. I only saw a few foreigners the whole time, all of them at the SM mall. The people seemed very shy and few spoke enough English to communicate much. If you had a partner from there it might work but it was not for me.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure: Unless you spend all day in McD's or the Boulevard Bars I doubt you would see many, Maybe in Lee Plaza or Robinsons. where we are, I can go sometimes weeks and not see one.Out of the City Expats and any Foreigner is a Scarcity believe it or believe it not. As said before, most of us keep our own Family Company, Like all City's there is an exception. Mix or not mix, Each to your own. having said this, it is good sometimes to have some sort of contact. for me, Yes! Dumaguete, is a good place to Live.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I,m not a big fan of Duma to crowded to much smoke but there is shopping there and a airport and ferries . Just a few miles away is Valencia higher up the mountain a little cooler very beautiful with a local government that has extra money for things like keeping the town very clean . Its undiscovered as of yet but more and more expats are seeing it as a option .

I would live there but I need the real city once in a while (Cebu) and its a little far for a day trip.

• Like 1