Tired Of Being Ripped Off By Taxis In Manila

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I just read this on another forum. You get in the taxi and take your phone and pretend to make a call. Heres how it goes : Senator Angara,s office please, you pause a bit then say Hi Edgar its Scott Phillips, I just arrived in Manila and going to my hotel as we speak. Looking forward to talking with you in the morning at your office. Paalam. I guess its scares most drivers into being on the up and up. Now this is for when you are in Manila as it is well known for ripping foreigners off. Last time I arrived in Manila I asked four taxis before I got a metered one and the others were quoting $20 to $25 us for the trip into the city. They didn,t even quote in pesos.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Last time I arrived in Manila I asked four taxis before I got a metered one and the others were quoting $20 to $25 us for the trip into the city. They didn,t even quote in pesos.

Were these yellow airport taxis? They are very tightly regulated I've taken them many times with no problems. The white ones are a different story.

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know what you mean. My last trip there and the only time I have had to stay for more than one night I found every single taxi wanted to charge me 250 pesos flat rate even GOING to the airport. I just rose my voice and said NO WAY MATE, and they soon backed off. I normally be very polite in the Philippines but you need to get a little aggressive with these cab drivers in Manila otherwise they will walk all over you.

edit: I never got yellow cabs as I heard they were more expensive, maybe I need to try them next time?

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yellow taxis are more expensive. In theory, they are the only ones permitted to wait for passengers at the arrival area of the international airport. There are also dispatchers who offer white SUVs. This is the preferred size if there are three or four in the group plus baggage. The rate is fixed and zonal in nature. You mention the name of the hotel, the dispatcher will show you a rate sheet or point at the rate sheet on the wall.

If my arrival is late evening or weekend, I may decide on the yellow taxi because it is a meter system. During weekdays in the daytime, the white SUVs are better because the charge is the same whether or not there is heavy traffic. Another system is to make transport reservations with the hotel. The luxury hotels like Peninsula Manila and Shangrila Makati charge astronomical amounts for "private" cars, which are actually supplied by Avis. The hotels received a large commission. If you are staying at a small hotel, they use the services of independent companies licensed with the airport authorities. Someone meets you by holding a sign when you emerge from exit. You stay in an air-conditioned lounge area on the other side of the driveway while they page for the company car and driver.

Now, those who are on a low-budget with little baggage can go up to the departure area, which is above the arrival area. In theory, the taxis are not permitted to pick-up passengers. Give a security guard P20 and tell him you need a metered taxi. He will get one for you. These cab drivers are more accommodating because otherwise, they have to leave the area without a passenger. Assuming they refuse to use the meter, jot down their name and taxi number. Getting reported, having to attend the hearing, paying the penalty, etc. is not worth it.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The yellow taxis are a little more, the flag drop is p70 and the whites are 40. At least it was several months ago. The fare increments faster with the yellows. Depending on where you're going you may pay p100 more, probably less. From my experience, the "fixed rate" ones are almost double the price of the yellow. The last time I arrived in Mania (domestic) I took the fixed rate because there was a long line waiting for the yellows and none coming. I wanted to get home. It baffles me that people spend thousands of dollars and endure extremely long, cramped plane trips and worry about such a small difference to get where they're going safely w/o hassles.

• Like 5

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have never used the airport taxi's since I have always had friends or family pick me up but my wife and I have made several trips to Manila by bus and stayed in downtown motels. I have had problems with both the yellow and white cabs trying to get a fixed rate that is almost always at least twice as much as a meter price. I make the drivers drop the flag before I will even get into a taxi. If the taxi is dirty and or the A/C does not work I will get back out and not pay. You also have to be careful with drivers taking the scenic route if they can get away with it. Don't except their standard excuse of the traffic is bad.

There has been problems with taxi drivers being part of planned robberies by taking their passengers to a location where they will have their partners waiting to rob them. Try to know your routes and get out if the drivers make cell phone calls or go in the wrong direction.

It is pretty much a crap shoot and it always a good idea to write down the taxi driver name and car number as they do not want to be reported.

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I have never used the airport taxi's since I have always had friends or family pick me up but my wife and I have made several trips to Manila by bus and stayed in downtown motels. I have had problems with both the yellow and white cabs trying to get a fixed rate that is almost always at least twice as much as a meter price.

I am talking about the yellow airport cabs that are at the airport. They are dispatched by an employee who hands you a receipt with the tag number and the numbers to call if you have a problem. I don't think they are even allowed to pick up passengers outside the airport (doesn't mean they wouldn't do it). They are employees, not lessees like the whites.

• Like 3

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

It baffles me that people spend thousands of dollars and endure extremely long, cramped plane trips and worry about such a small difference to get where they're going safely w/o hassles.

So true on that statement. From the airport is the only time I am willing to pay a little extra. 14+ hours in coach class on a plane definitely wears me out of fighting over a few dollars.

As for taxi's around Manila, I have not had to many problems. White Taxi's are my choice. I find it best to flag them down instead of one sitting around waiting for a fare. Around the Pasay bus stations you see lots of them just sitting around. They are the lazy ones that tend to try to rip you off. I will walk a block and wave one down. First thing I ask is if they use the meter. If not, then do not even get in.

My brother in law used to drive a taxi. Notoriously cheap guy to. He is my backstop when dealing with problem taxi drivers. So far I have not had any major issues with drivers blatantly trying to rib me off. Some know short cuts around while others will sit in traffic to run up the meter. I figure if it was me driving, I would be sitting in traffic to. Some of the short cuts my brother in law would direct the driver through were on the interesting side.

• Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Yellow Taxis at Cebu are the best yes a little more but nice new cars with good drivers .To many of the cheap cabs are unsafe . last trip i got one (yellow) from the Airport to Carcar for 800 pesos and he did the trip in 35 minutes very little traffic at 1 am . i tipped him 200 peso because he got me home so fast lol

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I never get an old taxi, I always wait for a new one unless I was in a hurry and there were few options, I will pass them up and offer them to the next person in line or pretend I'm making a call etc to avoid those shonky cabs half falling to bits. I also find most of the drivers that will try and rip you off drive them as they are more desperate. The guys driving the new cabs are usually a lot better drivers and don't have the stereo blasting in your ears with some boxing or whatever plus the air con works. I once traveled across Cebu city in a dodgy taxi that broke down 3 times, no air con, and half falling to bits. I said never again, it was one of the hottest days I had experienced as well so it was not a nice time. :)

Yes at Manila airport I will walk upstairs and out to the driveway and there are white taxis dropping passengers off so you can grab one there. I did find though you have to hustle to get them as there can be another 10 or 20 people trying to do the same thing and you know the rules there, there are no ques or rules so every man/woman for himself.. :) As soon as you get one then it is better to let them drive for 30 seconds before telling them to turn the metre on otherwise they might tell you to get out as all of the ones I got wanted fixed rates.

The one I got wanted 10 pesos or something to go through the highway to avoid the traffic so I was OK with that and I got to Makati for about 130 pesos non peak hour. If I had agreed to fixed it would have been 250 so it pays to ask but I have to agree if you have been on a long flight 100 pesos or so is not the end of the world but it's also not a good way to start your trip by throwing all your money away.

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1