Tired Of Being Ripped Off By Taxis In Manila

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It baffles me that people spend thousands of dollars and endure extremely long, cramped plane trips and worry about such a small difference to get where they're going safely w/o hassles.

:thumbsup: I have to agree with this, If I am on my own, as I will be Next week, I use the Hotel Transfers, yes, it is a little expensive @1400 round trip but at least I am safe and of course, I am sure I will get picked up in time for the Return to the Airport. The following Morning. If my wife is with me, then she deals with the Taxis :)

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Whenever this topic comes up i always say to myself "geez i wonder if these guys knew what taxis used to be like in Manila 25 years ago" I can tell you that the antics taxi drivers get up to these days is very tame compared to years gone by.

In the late eighties i was making my way back from Davao to go home.I had approx Php900 in my pocket and still needed to pay my departure tax.As i exited the then domestic terminal in Manila i needed a cab to take me the short distance to the international terminal.Being just dog tired at the time, the first guy that approached me at the gate, i went with.When we got to the cab, it was a beat up piece of s##t toyota crown and there were now two guys. I got in the back and before we could get out of the carpark they asked me for Php100 terminal fee.I said yeah yeah whatever.Once out on the main road they told me " Sir you realise this is not a taxi service" I said yep, i gotta agree with that! They said " No sir this is a limousine service" I says "Crikey, ya must be joking, ok how much then?" They said something like oh don't worry we'll make a special deal for you sir, i pushed them again and again, eventually getting the answer Php3000! Well after much argueing back and forth i told them to stop the cab and let me out NOW because i just don't have any money. By the time we were going up the ramp to the international terminal they were asking Php1,500.

As soon as we stopped i immediately jumped out taking my ticket folder with me, pulled out a pen , went to the front of the car at the same time whistleing for a guard to come.The driver opened his door screaming "what are you doing sir?" i said "I'm taking your number down, i'm gonna report you ya bastard"

Once the guard came over i explained what was going on and told him i didn't want any trouble and asked if he could tell me how much i should be paying this pair of arseholes.He said "give them Php150" probably more than three times what it should have been but i gave it to them, took my bags and told them what they could do with their scam.

This is just one episode. Many people arriving at NAIA were taken in so-called taxis down to the dimly lit Roxas Boulevarde and robbed by the driver or even worse.it used to go on all the time, so when i see threads like this one it makes me think that hey, the Philippines IS making progress for the better. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Never been to Manila but my asawa who used to live there told me the taxi drivers were just plain rude and would just go by you and not stop (if you are a local) she also said they would love to see it rain as they would make you wait in the rain while they creep up to you and then go a little bit past so you had to run to get to them .....

Only a couple of times have I had a Cebu taxi try to ripe us off and although I will use any taxi the aircon must work because of the stop and go traffic ..... I don't use aircon at home but in a cab I prefer it .... maybe because they have no fans ...... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In two weeks I'll be arriving the international airport in Manila the first time in well over ten years. I'll be alone so my dear wife will fly up from Cebu to sort it out. Yes she will meet me at the airport, I think she still loves me. :)

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Last time I arrived in Manila I asked four taxis before I got a metered one and the others were quoting $20 to $25 us for the trip into the city. They didn,t even quote in pesos.

Were these yellow airport taxis? They are very tightly regulated I've taken them many times with no problems. The white ones are a different story.

in my years here, I have NEVER heard a negative story about the YELLOW taxi services

only about the other services,,

1.Yes you will pay a few more pesos taking a YELLOW cab but at least your dealing with a slightly higher caliber driver than......

2. the hotel services(taxi/shuttle).. you get what your paying for, if you have the extra money go ahead, but be aware of the slight risk of being "tricked" by a false sign id'ing you, thats happend. your Over Paying for a fare thats usually less than 350p.

(from edsa/shaw to sta rosa by meter its under 510p new rate(350 old) under 40km

3. also has any one considered having a "mapsco" or a printed map

so that YOU know where exactly your going too,sometimes the "short cuts" to avoid the traffic may seem longer,and it is in some cases it is, BUT in my experience the slightly longer travel distance is offset by the waiting/being stuck

what has worked for me, not neccessary for you,

Is that i used a Metro manila map, so i know where I am going and how i would be returning, esp if its after dark or a new area i have not been too. Has it saved me $$,time,being angry w/driver.. OH Hell yes,

remember that these men who are drivers . AT least they have a honest paying job.compared to the others who want/need /seek a way to support themselves/their families .

being a driver in manila(philippines) is not easy . they must pay a "boundry"(rental) of at least 1000-1500 a day just to drive the taxi, then pay for gas,(400-800php) "tong"(tickets) and their own lunch..,

the driver doesnt make/earn that much when you add/compute his expenses.

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I used to live in Manila and you can almost always avoid problems by picking up a taxi at a mall or hotel where there is a taxi stand. I've never had anyone attempt to charge more than the meter from there. If you flag one down on the street, its potluck but will usually take several attempts before you'll get a driver who will use the meter.

You're usually not too far from a mall or hotel in Manila, so I always go there to get a taxi when possible.

• Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

3. also has any one considered having a "mapsco" or a printed map

so that YOU know where exactly your going too,sometimes the "short cuts" to avoid the traffic may seem longer,and it is in some cases it is, BUT in my experience the slightly longer travel distance is offset by the waiting/being stuck

what has worked for me, not neccessary for you,

Is that i used a Metro manila map, so i know where I am going and how i would be returning, esp if its after dark or a new area i have not been too. Has it saved me $$,time,being angry w/driver.. OH Hell yes,

A printedmap is a very simple but great idea, i will do that next time plus have my GPS on my smartphone...

I used to live in Manila and you can almost always avoid problems by picking up a taxi at a mall or hotel where there is a taxi stand. I've never had anyone attempt to charge more than the meter from there. If you flag one down on the street, its potluck but will usually take several attempts before you'll get a driver who will use the meter.

You're usually not too far from a mall or hotel in Manila, so I always go there to get a taxi when possible.

I think generally taxis from malls would be fine but I got one outside the SM mall in Makati a month ago,it was a line.I wanted to go to the airport and the driver wanted 250 flat rate, I told him were to go (literally) and he turned on the meter,cost me around 150 pesos. Ive never had issues in Cebu taking a taxi from a mall. Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

WOW! a lot of Stories coming here, I just don't like Manila, so I am happy to use the Hotel Service, even with the Cost, To me and for once, with Azon's approval, Better safe than Sorry, Well! as safe as I can be. No good starting my Retirement with a thick lip or worse. From some of the Stories, I might get myself, in a Lot of trouble before I even get. to Dumaguete. :unsure: I am not to good, with Smartarse Cabbies. :no:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Manila taxi's are always a challenge...i gave up and just accept it as is if i ever need to get one. I go wherever i go by driving my self, sometimes i just need to go a few km's away or i just park at the metro and go downtown faster. So to my transportation needs in cases like that, taxi can be but jeepney is easier specially if i seat in front or hang my self behind :) when getting a taxi...i just talk tagalog (as much as i can) and i do not smile to him. Not that it saves me the "bite" but sometimes it works...

• Like 1