Philippine Citzenship

phildiver
Posted
Posted

What’s the deal with becoming a Philippine Citizen. I have heard recently (about a change) that you can recover your USA Citizenship even if you renounce it as required by the Philippine Government in order to become a Philippine Citizen. And if it is easy to get back your USA citizenship why aren't more expats becoming Philippine Citizens.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Why would anyone , give up their American citizenship for another citizenship, only to try to reaquire it again later?? Doesnt sound right to me, Is it for self gain to live in the Philippines? There are lots of other ways to do that without renounceing your US citizenship. And if you do i serously doubt if the USA. will take you back..sounds like a bad move..just my 2 centavos worth. tanks ej.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Officially renouncing your US citizenship is difficult to do and requires a bunch of paperwork. In addition you will have to pay off the US government with a percentage of your wealth. There have been stories in the news about this recently as people with dual citizenships renounce their US citizenship to get out of all the intrusive financial reporting the IRS now requires.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

What advantage would you have by gaining Philippine citizenship .... other than you could be deported ..... you still can't own property but I guess you could get to vote here ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: .... like that would be a big deal .... I only pay p320 to stay here for a whole year so I see no advantage .....

• Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted
you still can't own property

Mike, why do you say this? I thought land ownership was the ONLY erason to become a citizen, are you saying you still can't own land after you become a citizen?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

That is correct ...... only a natural born Philippine Citizen can own land here in the Philippines ..... at least that is my understanding .....

billten
Posted
Posted
only a natural born Philippine Citizen can own land here in the Philippines

You go to all that effort and cost to become a citizen only to be considered a second class version... Yikes!!!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I could not find anything that stated you have to be "natural born" Philippine citizen to own land, the only reference was that if a natural born Filipino voluntarily gave up their citizenship they could still own land but there were restrictions on size.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You go to all that effort and cost to become a citizen only to be considered a second class version... Yikes!!!

They are following the example of the US (can't be the Prez if you are not born in US) and Canada (Your kids are not citizens unless you are born in Canada or naturalized there) and England (your kids are not citizens unless you are born in England AND lived there 3 consecutive years) who have led the way in making two classes of citizen.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So, for curiosity, I researched Philippine Supreme Court decisions in which naturalized citizens tried to own land. The following site says they can:

" . . . . a naturalized Philippine citizen, who is constitutionally qualified to own land."

http://www.chanrobles.com/scdecisions/jurisprudence1984/apr1984/gr_l31956_1984.php

MikeS? Where is your info coming from?