Philippine Citzenship

phildiver
Posted
Posted
I only pay p320 to stay here for a whole year so I see no advantage .....

What kind of visa is this that is only 320p year

phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

sorry

Edited by phildiver

Mike S
Posted
Posted
MikeS? Where is your info coming from?

Dave I read it on a forum sometime back as to the pro's and con's on having a Philippine citizenship ..... and there seems to be little or no value and according to that thread a naturalized foreign citizen may still not own land ....

" . . . . a naturalized Philippine citizen, who is constitutionally qualified to own land."

I think the key here is "who is constitutionally qualified" ....... but I have been wrong before so it won't be the first time ...... but it is strange that if you could own land that more foreigners don't apply for citizenship ...... the language requirements is a bit tough but I know several foreigners that speak fluent Tagalog ...... look at the Bomby's ...... many are engaged in 5/6 and speak good Tagalog or the language in their area ..... also the Chinese ..... my landlord speaks Visayan perfectly and owns about 5-6 buisness and has lived here for 20 years yet he doesn't have citizenship and all the businesses are in his wife's name and his kids who were all born here .....

Just saying ..... maybe someone who has actually gotten citizenship can shed some light on the subject ......

Will
Posted
Posted

Just saying ..... maybe someone who has actually gotten citizenship can shed some light on the subject ......

Mike, you do it and let us know! :unsure: lol

I don't think I would be willing to stick my toe into shark infested waters!!! :tiphat:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

For me personally, I would not do it. The reason is my fear that once I became a dual citizen, the Social Security Administration just might come back and say that since you are also a Philippine Citizen, we are no longer obligated to support you which here in the RP is basically a death sentence especially if a conservative Republican or Tea Party gets elected President. Food for thought. JMHO. YMMV.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

For me personally, I would not do it. The reason is my fear that once I became a dual citizen, the Social Security Administration just might come back and say that since you are also a Philippine Citizen, we are no longer obligated to support you which here in the RP is basically a death sentence especially if a conservative Republican or Tea Party gets elected President. Food for thought. JMHO. YMMV.

If (big if) a law was passed that precluded receiving SS benefits for dual (or non) citizens, in all likelihood it would be made effective going forward and not affect those currently having that status.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

If (big if) a law was passed that precluded receiving SS benefits for dual (or non) citizens, in all likelihood it would be made effective going forward and not affect those currently having that status.

Possibly. BUT, if you were me, would you take that chance? Especially if your whole life and that of your family depended on you for survival. No sorry, RP citizenship is not that high a priority on the bamboo pole to risk that. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1