How To Get A White (Cheaper) Taxi And Cebu Airport

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Most guys who have been here more than once know how to get a cheap cab from the airport . I take the yellow cabs most times because they are way nicer some of the white cabs are total junk unsafe at any speed . After a 14 hour flight i don,t want to ride in some crappy cab to save a couple bucks . Once in Cebu I always pick the nice new cabs the drivers seem more honest and speak english . One other thing to look out for is the guys saying they have a cab and will drive you (most don,t) they work a deal with the cabby for bringing them a customer .

In the end its 3 or 4 bucks more for a yellow cab but they are safer with better drivers and most speak good english .

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
Markham
Posted
Posted

The yellow cabs - which operate at Manila's airport also - are owned by Manny Pacquio and the reason their charges are about double that of white cabs is quite simple: they are not permitted to pick-up passengers outside the airport.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

The yellow cabs - which operate at Manila's airport also - are owned by Manny Pacquio and the reason their charges are about double that of white cabs is quite simple: they are not permitted to pick-up passengers outside the airport.

You make it sound like they do it on purpose. However, the yellow airport taxi rates are set.

P70 flagfall. P4 per 300 metres and P4 per 2 minutes waiting time. (waiting time meaning stuck in traffic).

Compared to white taxi.

P40 flagfall. P3.5 per 300 metres and P3.5 per 2 minutes waiting time.

Overall, it means that the effort to get upstairs with luggage at the airport is no longer worth it. The average rate for a yellow airport taxi to Downtown is about P260 compared to P200 for a white taxi.

Edited by Jim Sibbick
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

You make it sound like they do it on purpose. However, the yellow airport taxi rates are set.

P70 flagfall. P4 per 300 metres and P4 per 2 minutes waiting time. (waiting time meaning stuck in traffic).

Compared to white taxi.

P40 flagfall. P3.5 per 300 metres and P3.5 per 2 minutes waiting time.

Overall, it means that the effort to get upstairs with luggage at the airport is no longer worth it. The average rate for a yellow airport taxi to Downtown is about P260 compared to P200 for a white taxi.

I could not agree more with this.....hoof it with bags across the street, up stairs and search out a white taxi......to save maybe $3 bucks USD or less!!!

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted
I could not agree more with this.....hoof it with bags across the street, up stairs and search out a white taxi......to save maybe $3 bucks USD or less!!!

If you are just going on a LIGHT trip, like for leaving the country purposes, maybe you don't have a lot of bags.

There are no stairs, just a ramp at the Cebu Airport. And some of us NEED exercise anyway.

Some days every peso counts. Haircut=p40

Some days it makes you feel better to spend the same amount and give a good tip.

Some days nothing much matters but convenience.

To each their own I believe; informed decisions are better ones. :as-if:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

If you are just going on a LIGHT trip, like for leaving the country purposes, maybe you don't have a lot of bags.

There are no stairs, just a ramp at the Cebu Airport. And some of us NEED exercise anyway.

Some days it makes you feel better to spend the same amount and give a good tip.

Hello GregZ,

Excellent boots on the ground field report! And your down to earth wisdom is much appreciated also.

Thank you sir -- Jake

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

If you are using the ramp, you are getting more exercise than required.

Whether you arrive international or domestic, cross the road, go through the gate at the far right end of the fence. The stairs are in front of you. Walk up the stairs to the taxis..

I don't need to do this as I usually get Danny Noy to pick me up. However, nearly everytime I have taken the stairs in the past, there was a driver waiting on them to take my bags. Of course, if you let him take your bags, then there will be an expectation of a tip and the saving in walking up the stairs is gone.

johnb
Posted
Posted

Whether you arrive international or domestic, cross the road, go through the gate at the far right end of the fence. The stairs are in front of you. Walk up the stairs to the taxis..

I don't need to do this as I usually get Danny Noy to pick me up. However, nearly everytime I have taken the stairs in the past, there was a driver waiting on them to take my bags. Of course, if you let him take your bags, then there will be an expectation of a tip and the saving in walking up the stairs is gone.

Last time I arrived at Cebu airport [ last Monday] the old flight of stairs that you mention had been fenced off, so the ramp was the only alternative

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Last time I arrived at Cebu airport [ last Monday] the old flight of stairs that you mention had been fenced off, so the ramp was the only alternative

I don't know what that proves.

The last time I was at the airport was a couple of days before you. I was looking up the stairs thinking will I or won't I. I decided not to but I saw no impediment if I had decided to go up.