New Helmet Law

Mike S
Posted
Posted

http://www.sunstar.c...gulation-219483

By Jinky R. Bargio

Thursday, May 3, 2012

MOTORCYCLE riders have only two more months to comply with the standard helmet provided in Republic Act 10054 or the Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010.

In yesterday’s multi-sectoral forum, the board, represented by the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), said it aims to clarify the implementing rules and regulations issued in the joint administrative order last Dec. 26, 2011.

This mandates “all motorcycle riders to wear standard protective helmets while driving.”

By August, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) will no longer tolerate the use of ordinary helmets.

The Bureau of Product Standards emphasized the use of full-faced, half-faced and half-head helmets that bear Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) marks or Philippine Standard (PS) stickers.

Deadline

LTO Regional Director Raul Aguilos said that “by first week of August, we shall conduct special operations to implement special provisions of RA 10054. Anyone caught violating shall be penalized.”

Erring motorcycle riders have to pay a fine of P1,500 for the first offense, P3,000 for the second offense and P5,000 for the third offense, and P10,000 (plus confiscation of the driver’s "another forum"ense) for the fourth and succeeding offenses.

Aguilos said the mandatory use of protective standard helmet is considered a pro-active and preventive approach in the effort to secure motorcycle drivers and their passengers.

Meanwhile, the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) has started its mandatory inspection on all helmet suppliers and dealers.

It is also mandated by law that helmet manufacturers and importers also need to secure a PS "another forum"ense or an ICC mark before selling and distributing their products.

Manufacturers who don’t comply will have to pay a fine of P10,000 to P20,000.

Supply

DTI 7 Regional Director Asteria Caberte assured the riding public that the region has enough supply of helmets.

With LTO intensifying its campaign to go against erring motorcycle riders, Caberte is optimistic that dealers, retailers and suppliers will comply with the standard prescribed helmets.

It was learned that since the start of the inspection, many dealers have returned their old substandard helmets to their suppliers.

The information campaign drew negative reactions among “habal-habal” drivers and some motorists, especially those who bought other types of helmets before the DOTC and DTI issued the implementing rules.

Motorcycle owner Niño Libona still thinks he cannot afford the helmet, as he has other priorities in life.

“Hasol na kaayo gawas nga mahal.. kung ibilin sa motor, way ciguro nga kawaton pa gyud (It’s too much hassle and too expensive…if I leave it on the motorbike, it will probably get stolen),” he said.

A certain Nelson, who hails from Dumaguete City, said he still finds the law impractical especially in their city where roads are narrow.

The Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010, authored by Sen. Ramon Revilla Jr., requires all motorcycle drivers and their passengers to wear helmets at all times and imposes stiff penalties on violators.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 03, 2012.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

What a crock of s*%#$t , government regulated helmets. most people in the PH. dont like wearing helmets, others cant afford them, others just wear hard hats or any kind of head protection just to comply with the law, some buy weak plastic shell so called helmets in the illegal import fake market, (banketa sales).And now another expense for government approved helmets? dont they know that the average Pinoy rider buys a motorcycle here is because they are cheap to operate and that is all that they can fit in their family budget .I feel for those that have to buy these new helmets to comply with yet another new law imposed on riders. As past VP. of Street bikers united in Hawaii, i say "Let those who ride decide"But that will never happen.whats next ? having your SSS # stamped on the front and back of your helmet for identification. Only the "riding in tandem" purse snatchers and gunmen like the helmet law. Blah, blah, etc, etc. whew....i feel better now. tanks ej.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Though I believe people should have the choice, I think if I was to ride in the Philippines, and after seeing videos on the driving there, I would be wearing a fully armoured protective suit! Ah, heck.... I live for the thrill!!!

:mocking:

• Like 2

newboy
Posted
Posted

I for one think it's a good thing. At the end of the day you only get one head.

Yes it's another expense for the less well off to swallow, so perhaps being Government subsidised would be a good idea for them to consider.

I agree many families will struggle to buy and conform to the requirements, my argument to that is if the bread winner in the house cracks his head open due to wearing an inferior lid, then where would the family be? Not moaning about the expense of a better helmet that's for sure.

dalidali
Posted
Posted

What a crock of s*%#$t , government regulated helmets. most people in the PH. dont like wearing helmets, others cant afford them, others just wear hard hats or any kind of head protection just to comply with the law, some buy weak plastic shell so called helmets in the illegal import fake market, (banketa sales).And now another expense for government approved helmets? dont they know that the average Pinoy rider buys a motorcycle here is because they are cheap to operate and that is all that they can fit in their family budget .I feel for those that have to buy these new helmets to comply with yet another new law imposed on riders. As past VP. of Street bikers united in Hawaii, i say "Let those who ride decide"But that will never happen.whats next ? having your SSS # stamped on the front and back of your helmet for identification. Only the "riding in tandem" purse snatchers and gunmen like the helmet law. Blah, blah, etc, etc. whew....i feel better now. tanks ej.

I ride a big ass Harley and I tend to agree with you. I don't like how a helmet restricts my vison, my hearing and the overall feeling of freedom.

But.......I am sure in most cases, the Government (read taxpayers) has to pick up the tab for you or I to take up a space in an emergency room.

Double to triple that in the Phillipines.....Pinoys with insurance??....doubtful at best.

So who pays the hospital to sew your body parts back on?...

Ride safe

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted
But.......I am sure in most cases, the Government (read taxpayers) has to pick up the tab for you or I to take up a space in an emergency room.

Or they can do like Florida did and passed a law that if you ride without a helmet you must have health insurance ..... and anyone under 18 while riding on a motorcycle HAD to wear a helmet .... they wold set up road blocks and anyone caught with out a helmet and no insurance had to have someone else ride their bike as they got a ticket and couldn't move their bike ..... oh by the way you ain't lived until you are on a run with 20+ bikes and get pulled over .... it takes ages for everyone to clear the check point plus we had 4 guys that could not move their bikes till someone came with helmets or insurance ..... on the next run the tail-gunner carried extra helmets in his pick-up truck ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

What about the small children and babies, are they making helmets for them too? Millions of them are riding on motorcycles in the Philippines every day.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I live in the province and seldom see anyone riding with a helmet. 4 people (including infants) on a single bike is not unusual. Does this law only apply to Cebu City?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
So who pays the hospital to sew your body parts back on?...

No money, no hospital entrance. Better to go without a helmet and die quick than to die bleeding outside the emergency room because you cannot afford the fee.

If there is another motorist involved and he has money, it is expected that he will pick up the tab whether at fault or not. Its not a great system, its just what it is.

• Like 1

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

The new helmet law will go into effect on time and without predjudice. regardless of who you are and where you come from. But like all laws , give it time on the public and it will slowly go back to the way it was, Donations and on the spot fines have always been the way of life here, Its who knows who and not who knows what. Welcome to the wild wild East. tanks ej. :Policeman: :lol: .

• Like 2