New Helmet Law

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Does this law only apply to Cebu City?
MOTORCYCLE riders have only two more months to comply with the standard helmet provided in Republic Act 10054 or the Mandatory Helmet Act of 2010. In yesterday’s multi-sectoral forum, the board, represented by the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) and the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), said it aims to clarify the implementing rules and regulations issued in the joint administrative order last Dec. 26, 2011.

MikeB I believe it is going to be nation wide as it is recorded in Republic Act 10054 ......

ej ....... you are right it will just be another way to extract bribes ..... but depending on how much the bribe is it might be better to buy a legal helmet ...... and be forewarned everybody .... it will bring a new rash of stolen helmets as many of the poor people that only have a scooter won't be able to afford one .... hence the purchasing of a freshly stolen helmet from a careless rider ..... man buys new helmet for say p4000 .... man steals helmet ..... man sells helmet to relative for p500 ..... and a new industry is born .... see ... it is more fun in the Philippines ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are tricycle drivers exempt?

Americano
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't mind the helmet law if it was enforce equally on everyone. Filipinos are usually given a warning while all foreigners can be sure to pay the maximum fine. And, the check points are only set up on highways where foreigners can be easily singled out. There has never been a check point on my street where at least 10,000 tickets could be written every day for no helmet.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I believe they are since its classified as a motorbike with a side car. Theoretically, anyone could add a side car to their motorbike and not need a helmet, which doesn't make it any safer in my opinion.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What about the small children and babies, are they making helmets for them too? Millions of them are riding on motorcycles in the Philippines every day.

Five, six or more on a bike too. 1%20(235).gif

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Passengers?

How about their passengers?

Braddo
Posted
Posted

I just sent over in a forex box two helmets inside as I heard about the new laws, but the ship had repairs done so it is two weeks late to get to Cebu,

Going to be interesting as we live in the province area, we will be there 11th August about 1 week before the boxes arrive so will be riding no helmets, I wonder if I can get away with;- what law officer I didn't know, or sorry I dont understand your language, or should I leave a P500 note with my licence , but I hate corruption so might not use the last excuse.

Gotta laugh when you see the whole family 5 or more on a bike riding down the road, how are they going to afford 5 helmets, no way or is the driver the only one to wear a helmet? oh well sh*# t happens

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

sorry I don't understand your language,

:unsure: I tried that in spain some years ago, The Guardia officer said to me, " OK lets do it again in English shall we, LICENSE and Insurance Please" :hystery: his English was better than mine and I am English! but all joking apart, you will have to have your helmets examined and then pay for the ICC compliance Sticker cost 1.25 peso but 100p administration for the DTI, here in Dumaguete we are now out of Stock and Queues of up to 1.5 hours. Bon Voyage my friend happy biking, we are taking bets on Negros about the % of local and foreigner fines on the first 2/3 days of the law being implemented.

:tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I just sent over in a forex box two helmets inside as I heard about the new laws

As I understand the new law, they are not accepting the certification of any helmet made outside the Philippines unless the manufacturer applies for certification. Thus, no matter how safe your helmet is, you are still going to get shook down, er, I mean fined.

helmets that bear Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) marks or Philippine Standard (PS) stickers.

Edit: Noting Jack's post above, I see there is a cheap way to get a sticker now. Thanks Jack.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I just sent over in a forex box two helmets inside as I heard about the new laws, but the ship had repairs done so it is two weeks late to get to Cebu,

Going to be interesting as we live in the province area, we will be there 11th August about 1 week before the boxes arrive so will be riding no helmets, I wonder if I can get away with;- what law officer I didn't know, or sorry I dont understand your language, or should I leave a P500 note with my licence , but I hate corruption so might not use the last excuse.

Gotta laugh when you see the whole family 5 or more on a bike riding down the road, how are they going to afford 5 helmets, no way or is the driver the only one to wear a helmet? oh well sh*# t happens

It does indeed and it's your choice, of course, but I'm pretty sure a helmet saved my life last Sept. I was still very badly hurt but no head injuries or loss of consciousness. I never saw it again because someone absconded with it from the scene but I'll never need it again anyway. If I was ever to ride a motorbike here again, which I'm not, getting a ticket from the police would be the least of my concerns.

• Like 1