Airline Luggage Policy

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: Absolutely Spot on, my 36 kilo baggage cost me and additional 100Euro ( 5.400p from Malaga (Spain) to manila. then 2.800p from manila to Dumaguete. Had I taken a 2nd case as they said I could. the charge would have been $200 seems we are short and Curled all round. Soon we will all be going business class. Maybe that's what they want. :tiphat: I tend to think they make the rules up daily. :unsure:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sorry Dave for your hassles but it is just a tad funny. I guess the rule is to allow say; $500 extra to cover the unknown and if you get change then good. (approximation P20,937.8) :)

• Like 2

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I've had similar experiences travelling to both Manila and Delhi and have successfully challenged the charges with my credit card company every single time. Dispute the charges and I suspect you'll get your $90 back, especially with the documentation you have to back up that you should not have been charged. You can also try contacting the Travel section of the paper in Edmonton or Vancouver. They love to run stories of customers getting screwed by airlines, and airlines fall all over themselves to correct it once that happens.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not only does Cebu Pacific rip you off in the luggage department when you transfer airlines but they also made me pay the terminal fee in Taipei even though I had booked through a travel agent and ALL fees were pre-paid ..... but as the fight was about to leave who was I to argue with them ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
have successfully challenged the charges with my credit card company every single time. Dispute the charges and I suspect you'll get your $90 back, especially with the documentation you have to back up that you should not have been charged.

The Mason

THANKS on the advice & reminding us on Disputing the CREDIT CARD charges.

its a helpful tool that some of us have .

Its also helpful when you "buy" or use your card at some businesses here and your product goes faulty as soon as you leave the store :tiphat:

lighthouse
Posted
Posted

Same here, no matter what airline and which airport in which country, the rules seem to be made up on that day. Sometimes it helps that we have one bag underweight and we can move the excess weight from one bag to the other, then onto the hand carry luggage. It depends what the items are, but it has helped me a couple of times.

• Like 3

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i returned from the USA this time to Manila on Japan Airlines it will state on your ticket baggage fees, i was allowed 2 bags free, printed on your ticket ,and we all know about over weight on the PAL so expect it, i pay 1,600 about every time i return, i dont use any other airline when i have baggage, i thought one time about using the ferry they allow 50 kilo free and the over charge is cheap, i wanted to get some tools in Manila and bring with me but just never got over the 3 day trip it takes

• Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I've had similar experiences travelling to both Manila and Delhi and have successfully challenged the charges with my credit card company every single time. Dispute the charges and I suspect you'll get your $90 back, especially with the documentation you have to back up that you should not have been charged. You can also try contacting the Travel section of the paper in Edmonton or Vancouver. They love to run stories of customers getting screwed by airlines, and airlines fall all over themselves to correct it once that happens.

I just booked travel to Manila for an upcoming business trip. I'm flying on American connecting to Cathay Pacific in Chicago. On my receipt, it specifically states that I'll have to pay for my bags on the American Airlines leg of the flight and lists the charges.

International flights generally permit bags up to 70 pounds while domestic flights only permit up to 50 pounds. I called our travel department to see if I need to keep the bags under 50 pounds and they said that American Airline baggage policies will apply to their flights, and Cathay Pacific policies will apply to their flights.

I'm flying business class and the ticket cost $8,000 (I'm going to Delhi as well, that's why its more.) If I want to take luggage up to the limits Cathay permits, it will cost me an extra $400 in baggage fees for American Airlines.

If I was paying for this ticket or the fees, I'd really be pissed off about it. But since I'm not paying, I'm loading up my bags with heavy "imported" SPAM and toiletries for the in-laws.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Jimmie
Posted
Posted

Ok, so I'm trying to get ready for my first trip to the Phils (actually thru Manila to Chiang Mai, then back to Cebu for a week or two). I'm planning to use Cebu Air for the Manila/Cebu trip to Bangkok/Chiang Mai (I know, but that's where my friends coning from Russia want to meet me, Bangkok first, then to Chiang Mai) ... Do you guys think I'm ok (cost -wise) with bringing say two bags, 25 kilos each? I really don't know how much I'll bring... but it'll be heavy with cameras, laptops, etc, plus 5-6 days worth of lightweight clothes. I'm flying Delta from Detroit to Manila for the first leg, and I have enough frequent flyer miles for baggage on that flight not to be an issue. It's the horror stories about Cebu Pacific's fee loading that scare me. If I get a cheap flight with them from Cebu or Manila to Bangkok, am I going to get clobbered on the luggage? Any advice on how to pack/prepay to avoid that? When I go to Russia for work, I take one about 20 kilos just in food, because Moscow is an expensive place to eat, for sure. I don't think that will be an issue on this trip, so I'm hoping I can take a heavy backpack/carry-on full of my gadgets and then check a mid size duffle or something with the shoes/clothes. Sorry to be such a newbie...but at least I'm smart enough to ask the experts... : )