Gay Couple Moving To Manila - Introduction

CalvinJSmith
Posted
Posted

Hi Everyone!

My partner of 21 yrs and I are excited to be relocating to Manila in September for a 3 year assignment. My office will be near Eastwood City. We will also be bringing our two dogs (St. Bernard and Catahoula Leopard). Would love to hear thoughts about houses/condos in the Eastwood area that accept larger dogs. They are the friendliest and just love people. Wherever we live must have a pool!

We are explorers by nature; enjoy art, working out, eating healthy, biking, motorcycling and walking our dogs. We are not the biggest shoppers but expect will need some things so will add shopping to our list. We definitely like to travel and expect some island hopping in our future. We are not big drinkers, would love to hear about the gay community as well. Where do gay expats hang out? What else is there to do beyond shopping and drinking?

We are nervous about the live-in expectations. My employer is funding for car/driver and housekeeper. So thoughts on that would be good too. My true interest would be physical trainer and nutritionist. We really want to get back into shape and I plan to ride a bike most places but expect I will buy a car at some point. My partner may not be able to work but he is definitely interested in volunteering with children and child advocacy. We ultimately want to adopt.

Forgot one other item. Banking. How does that work? Are there good international banks with no conversion and no ATM fees?

Really appreciate any advice. Overall we are good ol' boys looking to get the most out of our Philippine experience.

Cal & Dave

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Welcome Cal and Dave, Enjoy the forum.

I am Cebu based, so do not know much about Manila, Their is a strong gay scene in Cebu, as I am sure their is in Manila too.

I am sure some other member will be able to help you,

Anyway Welcome.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum Cal & Dave :540: :nudie: :cheersty:

I live in the States with my Filipina wife we visit Cebu for the most part I'm not an expert on Manila.

Filipino dogs are not very healthy, mange worms and even rabies are common. Living in Manila will be difficult to find a place to walk your dogs. Big dogs frighten Filipinos my family had a German Shepard when I walked him pandemonium would break out some people actually running away.

I am sure there is a huge Filipino gay population same as any large city anyplace in the world. Gay men are well accepted in Philippines.

Finding a good driver and housekeeper will take time. Search the forum for ideas and advise this topic is very active. The good thing about Philippines is that you could find a qualified physical trainer and nutritionist to come to your house or even live in for not a lot of $$$.

Don't even think about riding a bicycle in Manila!!!

Foreigners are not allowed to work in Philippines. Volunteering is a wonderful idea. Working with children can be a risk. There are some draconian laws over there. If you or your partner were to be found in public with a young person you "could" be arrested imprisoned fined black listed and deported. You need to become informed about that topic.

Search the forum to do with banking there are many topics to do with all aspects of banking ATM cards and so on.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I see you are from Canada by you flag of origin ..... it is fairly cold there except in the summer but here it is hot year round ..... you need to think of your St Bernard in terms of it's comfort .... it will be a BIG changes for it to get used to ..... some dogs and breeds DO NOT ADAPT well to the weather in the Philippines ..... I would be very careful with your pet ...... do a lot of research not only on how to get them here (I was going to bring mine here and he lived in central Florida where it is hot) but decided against it because of his age (older dogs don't travel well .... to much of a strain on them) and a lot of other things ..... so PLEASE do your homework on your pets ..... IMHO

• Like 5

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I see you are from Canada by you flag of origin ..... it is fairly cold there except in the summer but here it is hot year round ..... you need to think of your St Bernard in terms of it's comfort .... it will be a BIG changes for it to get used to ..... some dogs and breeds DO NOT ADAPT well to the weather in the Philippines ..... I would be very careful with your pet ...... do a lot of research not only on how to get them here (I was going to bring mine here and he lived in central Florida where it is hot) but decided against it because of his age (older dogs don't travel well .... to much of a strain on them) and a lot of other things ..... so PLEASE do your homework on your pets ..... IMHO

I have seen St. Bernard's in the Philippines. But this was in Baguio at 5000 feet elevation where there is a more moderate climate. I can't recall why now... but at Mines View Park there were dozens of St. Bernard's there available to have your picture taken with.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Mike, you is too funny!!! :mocking:

Cal, I'm not sure what part of Canada you are from but if you are anywhere near where I am (Hamilton, On), we just had quite a few days in a row through June and July that were warmer than in Manila! If your dogs were ok through that, they should be fine weather-wise in the Philippines! Now I have a cat who won't be coming with me when I do the move later this year - not so much the weather but she won't survive the travel... Just getting in the car even with it turned off is enough for her to have a panic attack!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Your St. Bernard might not do so well because of the heat, humidity and pollution in Metro Manila. Should you decide to go ahead, my suggestion is to have a small room with a powerful air-conditioner unit and a floor level fan. Rather than a carpet or wood flooring, purchase a slab of inexpensive Philippine marble. With the air-conditioner running, the marble feels very cool. Early morning and late evening walks are best. Short brisk walks are better than a leisurely stroll. Then back to the air-conditioned room to cool off. Avoid the midday sun.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Your St. Bernard might not do so well because of the heat, humidity and pollution in Metro Manila. Should you decide to go ahead, my suggestion is to have a small room with a powerful air-conditioner unit and a floor level fan. Rather than a carpet or wood flooring, purchase a slab of inexpensive Philippine marble. With the air-conditioner running, the marble feels very cool. Early morning and late evening walks are best. Short brisk walks are better than a leisurely stroll. Then back to the air-conditioned room to cool off. Avoid the midday sun.

I heard about a new dog travel program where you can train them to think small and think cool. This used to be a St. Bernard!

552471_504292889584311_883694839_n.jpg

Sorry, I could not resist! I know it is a big decision and I wish you and the dogs the best of luck!

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

i love dogs. i have 3 ascals here at home and they are my kids (apart of my son). the main reason i did not buy a german sheppeard or an alaskan beauty was because my heart cannot afford the torture these dogs will be getting all their life on the humid warm weather here. Please think again, for sure you love your pet, act accordingly.

i do have local dogs, each with each own little house and one of my helpers her daily duties is to clean and take care of the dogs. They are as our kids, we bring them in our life so we owe to them they owe us nothing, they are meant to be free and not on a chain. I only chain them during the day due to all the kids who are coming to my house playing with my son. They are ok with kids but never know. The night they are free, try to do the mistake jumping my fence!!!! hahahahah!!! They will not eat any food anyone will give them but rather they will eat him for dinner!!!!

P.S.: Ascals here are called the street dogs, the ones with 456987 mixes of races, the dogs you will never see sold in shop!!!!

• Like 1