Gay Couple Moving To Manila - Introduction

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
My true interest would be physical trainer and nutritionist.

Most residential complexes offer concierge services. Just mention you need a physical trainer and nutritionist. Then add the words, "Filipino price." Check with someone like a co-worker if the quoted amount is too much. It will be. Haggling is an honored tradition in Asia.

There is a Saturday farmer's market in Salcedo Village. Find out if there is another one even closer. Produce sold include organic fruits and vegetables. I have also seen online advertisement for consumer supported agriculture. They are similar to CSAs' in Canada and America except the vegetables are delivered rather than your picking up a crate from a central location.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well Bob ..... I hope you know you just burst my balloon ..... you mean to tell me that y'all don't live in igloo's and burn blubber oil lamps ..... ride dog sleds to work each day????? Golly Gee Whiz ...... ya ruined me day ...... :hystery: :hystery:

Naw .... kidding aside my dog as raised in Florida and looked like a miniature St. Bernard ... but he weighed in at 57 pds .... but he was 8years old and my vet who had traveled to South America and other similar type climates and even though she knew how much I loved my dog she advised against me bring him here ...... and then I looked into how he would be shipped ... unless you have a straight through flight he would have to be transferred from plane to plane with him being cooped up in a steel cage .... plus there is the quarantine ... I believe ... when he gets here in the Phils ..... plus if I remember right it is much harder to take your dog out of the Phils than to bring them in ..... but I can't swear to that as it has been 6-7 years sense I looked up all that info .....

I just checked my Doc. Folder to see if I had saved any info on shipping pets but I didn't ...... Cal ... do a Google search for "bringing pets to the Philippines" and you should find all your answers .....

CalvinJSmith
Posted
Posted

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the valuable information. I was born in Canada, grew up in Hawaii and live in Denver. All three extremes from cold, humid to dry dessert. Love the rain so excited to experience a monsoon, although undercover!! Looks like we are good to go on the dog. At least with the VET. Vet also said extra hair will (insulate) help St. Bernard deal with the heat. But good to manage his environment. Checking Phil Government site and no quarantine with a doctors review. Both of them are quite healthy.

Any thoughts on warm weather clothing; any specific brands that work really well for work attire? Are clothing prices good compared to America? Also, any good websites or links to look at housing, auto shopping overall good search information?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I reside in Honolulu. The humidity in the Philippines is much, much worse. The air quality in Metro Manila is poor. They continually cut down trees to increase the concrete jungle. Anti-pollution devices for public vehicles is an oxymoron. The good news is rural areas and greenery are not too far away from your intended residential location. On weekends, go east past Antipolo City to the Sierra Madre Mountains or south to Tagaytay. Both have elevations above 1,000 feet.

Anything that is 100% cotton is my recommendation. The formal attire is the Barong Tagalog. The finest are made with pineapple fiber. Gentlemen wear a cotton undershirt, such as a t-shirt to absorb perspiration. Perspiration is part of the natural cooling system. Hawaiian shirts are gaining in popularity and accepted as day-to-day attire. If you have any stored in a trunk, bring them with you.

• Like 2