Suggestions For Area To Live Near Manila?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's a fairly common occurrence but they called Ondoy in 2009 a once in a lifetime phenomenon and less then 3 years later it's almost the same. I was watching the Channel 5 news 2 nights ago and saw a good friend of mine, Larry, swimming in the street in front of his house in Provident Village, Marikina in water over his head. He just got his house fixed up from 2009 and it's ruined again. My best friend lives most of the year in NJ but planned to retire this year and live on the same street. Unlike others, he had insurance last time and fixed up the house even better then before but after Ondoy the insurance company told him he had to wait 5 years before he could apply again so whatever is lost this time is on him. He told me the water was up to the 2nd floor. Car was moved to high ground but a brand new motorbike was completely submerged. Where to live in Manila? Upper floor condo in Eastwood sounds ok.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Heavy rains are nothing new to Manila. There were no serious flooding before WWII because of the esteros system or estuaries that dumped the excess water into Manila Bay. The problem is those esteros are clogged with trash. Even worse, some esteros were land filled for housing and commercial projects. Bangkok relies on a similar similar of klongs. Floodings occur when silt or debris builds up on the klongs.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Where ever you decide to go, check carefully for flood plain! I was reading in the news that storms and flooding like that right now is going to be common for Manila for the next few years. OUCH!

It's a common occurence in Manila already! For as long as i can remember, it ALWAYS floods in Manila August/September.

Flooding being common - yes!

They were talking about extreme storms and extreme flooding such as is occuring now!

newboy
Posted
Posted

As we are currently also looking, I would say Alabang has some nice houses if that's what you're after, and definitely cleaner air. I'm just weighing up between there and the Fort currently, but I think that the Fort is swinging it for me at the minute. Do you have a car, as that could be a big factor in your decision if you're used to city life.

We just purchased a small house in Dasma in the same subdivision as the inlaws, so can always escape out of the pollution if needs be.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Do you have a CAR? consider Santa (Sta)Rosa Laguna.

its 20-22km from Alabang,40km edsa/shaw. its clean,has some of the stores that you would need

yet still close enough if you need to go to Manila you can get there(usually) under 1hr.

the nicer area (paseo de sta rosa ,,) is flood free 1285553792_87754986_3-Sta-Rosa-Estates-house-Mozart-St-Walking-distance-to-Paseo-de-Sta-Rosa-Houses-Apartments-for-Sale-1285553792.jpg

CMB, I'm looking for a place in Laguna. I probably won't have a car. Can you recommend any of the developments in your area where I can survive easily without a car? Preferably I would like to find a furnished place with month to month or max 6 month lease. Laguna Bel Air has a few; do you know anything about it?

My girlfriend says that traffic in Sta Rosa is very bad. Is it any worse there than other areas?

Honesty I dont know of any places that I could RECOMMEND. the MAP you see is of STA ROSA (west) I live in the eastern part near BAYAN,CITY HALL ,I live in a SIMPLE subdivison ,

Sta rosa "TRAFFIC" yes Yes in some parts ITS TRUELY terrible . from waltermart to complex and near SM/Robinson but its about the same elsewhere .

Sta Rosa is slightly higher than manila area. their is a 5story bldg, when I have looked to the North towards manila.

I am able to see the High rises of the FORT, makati amd the planes making final approach to NIAA,

It does have some flooding issues esp near complex and near rivers . the area=sta rosa(west) is FLOOD FREE.