Buying A New Computer Or Laptop? My Recommendation Is...

jojones
Posted
Posted

Convert to Apple/Mac. Prices for Windows based laptops are really high here. Whereas you can get cash discounts on Apple products (5% or 10% sometimes). So the price difference compared to the West is far less and believe me once you go Mac you don't turn back. Same goes for tablets too- they are selling for a ridiculously high price but Apple are likely to bring out a small budget option in October and it should be great value. I think it is to do with taxes and Apple must be exempt or something?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I remember back in the day, in a country dominated by Fords and Chevys, that people talked about how Datsuns were the future and your next car should be a Datsun.

Well there was truth in that, just as there is truth in the opening post. But I'm not going to be the one to buck the trend. Enjoy your Mac.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I personally prefer desktops possibly because of the larger screen. For travel, I have a laptop and my wife recently purchased a tablet. For the Philippines, you really need either a laptop or tablet because of voltage fluctuations and power outages. I am surprised Apple products can be cheaper there. In the United States, Apple positions themselves as the premium brand. It could be an example of local market pricing.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I prefer a smaller laptop (currently a MacBook Pro 13") which is easier to travel with. At home I just plug in a nice big Dell 24" flat screen and go dual screen.

But this is my last Apple product. Apple as a corporation and its policies has just become too paternal.

When I travel internationally I have used a small Asus 10" eeePC netbook running lubuntu. They run around $200 and wouldn't be a big loss if it was lost or stolen.

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Sorry 'mac', I will not join the club unless the prices drop considerable (20-30%), and lots more applications added.

Compare specs and price, and I dont find anything that justify the high price.

For tablets I swear to Android, after using a smartphone.

Why would any buy a Apple with their many restrictions, when samsung and other androids have google play store with 900000 software applications?

Compare this to Apple's very limited apps, and I have another reason for not becoming a fan.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Sorry 'mac', I will not join the club unless the prices drop considerable (20-30%), and lots more applications added.

Compare specs and price, and I dont find anything that justify the high price.

For tablets I swear to Android, after using a smartphone.

Why would any buy a Apple with their many restrictions, when samsung and other androids have google play store with 900000 software applications?

Compare this to Apple's very limited apps, and I have another reason for not becoming a fan.

I concur. I really like my Samsung Galaxy SII with Android.

GregZ
Posted
Posted
I am surprised Apple products can be cheaper there. In the United States, Apple positions themselves as the premium brand.

I just bought iPad3 here in Cebu and "Apple positions themselves as the premium brand" holds true. No deals here. The mall stores hold the same price. If you shop online Apple you'll get 'free engraving and delivery' is all. Same price.

As far as computer, I will keep my HP notebook with full size keyboard and good size screen ($450 USD). Very flexible, relatively cheap from Tiger Direct (when in USA), and just replace instead of upgrade or fix.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've worked in the computer industry on and off since 1987 - or was it '86?

Windows - I've never like MicroSoft's business model. Offer as little as possible, take as much money as you can for it, and don't fix all the bugs. This way you can offer an upgraded OS that will cost people more and don't fix all the bugs. This way you can offer an upgraded...

Apple - I used to love Apple! They had a great OS that worked, few bugs, viruses were unheard of until 10 years ago or so, fantastic support and upgrading was not necessarily needed. What happened? They became MicroSoft!

Unix - I am not a corporation! Though it does work well...

Linux - I prefer Ubuntu though I play with other flavours too... First off - it's free! It works reliably and it's fast! Tons of free programs... And, for those who didn't know, it was the Ubuntu crew who made Android! Yup! Google hired Canonical (sic?) who is the commercial company who bring us Ubuntu! And they used the Ubuntu engineers to make Android. Ever see what happens when you replace Android with Ubuntu? Nice!!!

Android - Nice but I prefer running Ubuntu!

So what am I using for a computer now? Would you believe I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One netbook that came preloaded with Windows 7 Basic? Now loaded in for a dual boot with Ubuntu 12.04. And the only reason I am keeping the Windows is for a free telephone app I have which will give me a telephone number in my home town in Canada, allows for free long distance through most of Canada, and will follow me to the Philippines at no further cost on my phone calls. Once they come out with the Linux version of FreePhoneLIne, the Windows is gone! Almost forgot - at home, I stick my netbook onto a 17 Inch Acer monitor. What a hard life, eh?

:mocking: :dance: :tiphat:

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
But this is my last Apple product. Apple as a corporation and its policies has just become too paternal.

One of my businesses is designing, developing and producing eBooks as a Read Aloud program for early childhood literacy and English language learning. The original software was embedded in Mp4 players. When we started the company more than 7 years ago, very few people knew anything about eBooks. The growing popularity of Apple iPhones, iPods, and iPads meant we should apply as content developers with Apple iTunes. After eight months of trying, iTunes told us, "No." They suggested using one of their licensed content aggregators. By the time everyone got their cuts, our revenues were down to the 50% level. The paternalistic attitude of Apple iTunes also meant they started redesigning the product to the point it no longer works. This comment is according to the university curriculum researchers who are my partners in the venture. Some faceless geek in Cupertino, CA thinks he knows more about education than the director emeritus of the university level research that is the basis for the PBS program, "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" and later, "Sesame Street."

I finally gave up. Luckily, the exclusive licensing agreement is just for a few books. I am now working with a Phiippine software company to convert 20 eBooks based on classic literature stories for use with computers and Android tablets.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

i have never owned a mac always a pc but there is one thing that apple does do really well in my opinion and thats for editing software final cut pro 10 is amazing , unlimited multi cam editing , i seen a guy online with a 32 multi cam edit plus his b-role and it it was soo smooth and fast for editing hd video , so i dont want to spend all that money for 2 pc's so what im going to look at it whats called a hackentosh its a mac on your pc basically what i will be doing is a duel boot drive , one with my windows 7 64 bit and the other with the mac os , if anyone out there has any info on this please shout back to me ok ! this way i have the best of both world when i want to use the mac for editing i boot up mac when i want pc i just boot up my pc !! cool hey :)

O-U-C :thumbsup:

• Like 1