11 Years In Thailand ...

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Even though this happened a few years ago, we can always learn from that which happened before us!

Thank you sir!

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing Andy. I know its not always easy telling the story of getting burned like that....at least not for me. But you live and learn. When I move there I definitely plan on renting at least for the 1st year or so and if I do decide to buy I'm thinking it will be a condo so it can be in my name.

I'm not embarrased telling my story, some might learn from it and save loads of money. I did a few major newbie mistakes, and I paid the price. Many in the same boat in Thailand. They mostly end up on pattaya beach sitting drinking...

Today I prefer renting the first 3-5 years, after that I will consider buy a condo. I see many advantages with renting. If one get a noisy neighbor one can cancel the lease and move. If one own the property it's a different ball game, take a big loss, or take years to sell it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Beachboy
Posted
Posted

Thanks for sharing, Andy. I've also considered Thailand because of the issue of safety. But the language barrier (everything like street signs, etc are written in Thai script so the dictionary is not much help) and the visa hassle deters me. To be fair (and correct me if I'm wrong) the yearly renewal of the retirement visa can be done by mail or by third party (lawyer, friend, etc) and the 800K Thai bhat deposit can be drawn down through out the year (unlike the Philippines).

What made you decide of the Philippines and not Malaysia or Indonesia?