Possibile To Find A House For Around 15000 Usd In The Provinces Around Cebu

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Sorry to keep going on about this topic, but I'm still unsure why the cost of building a house is so expensive in the Philippines when compared to more advanced countries where the cost of living is a lot higher.Its not the wage component of the building process.  So it can only be the material cost or the builder who is pocketing a fortune.   I would have thought that the Philippines manufactures its own bricks, windows, doors etc.  If it does not produce / manufacture its own materials but has to import them, then I could understand why the cost is what it is. Otherwise the builder is making a lot hay whilst the sun is shining!!!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Sorry to keep going on about this topic, but I'm still unsure why the cost of building a house is so expensive in the Philippines when compared to more advanced countries where the cost of living is a lot higher.Its not the wage component of the building process.  So it can only be the material cost or the builder who is pocketing a fortune.   I would have thought that the Philippines manufactures its own bricks, windows, doors etc.  If it does not produce / manufacture its own materials but has to import them, then I could understand why the cost is what it is. Otherwise the builder is making a lot hay whilst the sun is shining!!!

The preferred design in the Philippines is Mediterranean architecture using concrete, steel, glass and tiles. I asked a builder why they don't use more indigenous materials. His simple, truthful answer is, "No money for us."

Applying Western logic does not work. My wife was astonished that a road crew was dragging equipment uphill to paint the meridian line on the road to Baguio City. They had five men puffing and pulling. My wife (Western educated) said, "They should work downhill." If they did, three men would be out of work. She also noticed that the quality of the paint was so poor it would disappear within a few weeks. My response was, "Yes. It is guaranteed perpetual employment."

• Like 3

chriseleanor
Posted
Posted

thanks ,curley,love your little quote there.

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I would have thought that the Philippines manufactures its own bricks, windows, doors etc.  If it does not produce / manufacture its own materials but has to import them, then I could understand why the cost is what it is.
I know it's common with Philippine manufactured cement, bricks and wood. 

Don't know about other things, but I asume some make doors, windows and such. I have seen some very nice doors in rather poor homes, so I suppose some local made them.

No idea where the crap plumbing material come from  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

Just throwing this one out there ...is it truly possible to buy a home( even if its tiny) for about 15,000USD? I know I'm reaching here but who knows. stranger things have been possible

Most definitely but foreigners are not allowed to own land. You can only own the house.

This week, I was offered a 1 bedroom house for P60,000.

My ex father in law built a small 2 bedroom house for P80,000, in 2007. You can see it here

http://youtu.be/c-gkY-gByto

80K PHP ONLY? WOW!

I'd love to see what you can get with 1 million PHP.

• Like 1

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

The preferred design in the Philippines is Mediterranean architecture using concrete, steel, glass and tiles. I asked a builder why they don't use more indigenous materials. His simple, truthful answer is, "No money for us."

Applying Western logic does not work. My wife was astonished that a road crew was dragging equipment uphill to paint the meridian line on the road to Baguio City. They had five men puffing and pulling. My wife (Western educated) said, "They should work downhill." If they did, three men would be out of work. She also noticed that the quality of the paint was so poor it would disappear within a few weeks. My response was, "Yes. It is guaranteed perpetual employment."

Can you tell me why most new houses there are townhouses / multilevel ?

Thanks

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I'd love to see what you can get with 1 million PHP.

Interestingly enough, thats the answer.  With many people trying to find a nice place for under 1 million, and with lots in many area of Metro Cebu hovering around a half million for a piece of land 10 meters by 10 meters, the only solution is townhouses.

The people who are putting up shanties for 80,000 pesos are not doing it in the cities, and the people building townhouses are not doing it in the bukid.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Thanks

I would think just like the US they want to cram as many houses on one property as they can.  So, multi level and almost no yard.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Just throwing this one out there ...is it truly possible to buy a home( even if its tiny) for about 15,000USD? I know I'm reaching here but who knows. stranger things have been possible

I can't remember the suburb, but I saw an advert not too long ago for a new development just north of Mandue City. I beleive they were new town houses for about 1,000,000 php....I know that is more than your budget, but they looked pretty good :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Split topic to here,cost of a 3 bedroom home. http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17365-cost-of-average-3-bedroom-home/