Any Us Banks Here In Philippines

josher101
Posted
Posted

I recently searched all the banks in California for a bank that did not charge a foreign fee transaction and was not successful, I have a Citibank Account in the US and was charged transaction fee every time I used my card in the Philippines. I was told that charges would be waived if you had a balance of 150K in my checking account. ( Earning 1%) Not abut to do that, so I opened a BPI dollar account and deposited my Citibank checks, yes it took 25 days to show up but I plan my expenses make a deposit every month.

No Bank fees at all. Something I had thought about was bill paying thru my Citibank to the BPI. Bank exchange rates are not good.

Another banking rule here, if you are over 65 you cannot get a credit. the only way is to get a prepaid card. and they charge you interest on your Own money plus a service fee. I have also a Peso account with an ATM card and am able to use the card to purchase at most places of business. but it can't be used as a credit card on line because it does not have the 3 digit security code.

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

BDO has atm debit cards with the MC logo and the security code.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Another banking rule here, if you are over 65 you cannot get a credit. the only way is to get a prepaid card. and they charge you interest on your Own money plus a service fee.

Thats news to me, What I have had in the past was a REAL MASTERCARD issued by BPIfamily savings bank.(bpifsb) only it was a SECURED CARD,

my credit limit was 80% equal to my funds deposited 100 = (80 actual limit). its not a PREPAID CARD per se.

YES they will charge you interest and of course FEES,

many banks world wide does this as its a way to make money

it just seems that the banks in the RP have taken it to a ART(not member) or an higher level

I recently searched all the banks in California for a bank that did not charge a foreign fee transaction and was not successful, I have a Citibank Account in the US and was charged transaction fee every time I used my card in the Philippines.

Banks.such a offensive word,

have you ever CONSIDERED a CREDIT UNION ???

also this 1% overseas transaction FEE that you are charged, please NOTE its NOT The bank that charges it . Its mastercard/visa that is does it. some US banks now even charge more than 1%.

its been said that CAPITAL ONE does not charge altho they do have annual fees and a higher APR

than other banks,

have you considered USAA ??

. yes oh yes I am charged that nasty 1% fee, BUT their WORLDWIDE customer service is OUTSTANDING, ... "no sorry sir your out of the usa, we cant help you "

they have gone out of the way the past 13 yrs away from the Conus(opps i mean the USA)do you think any other USA bank would do this? and my current APR is under 8% & NO ANNUAL FEE (actually much less but since the forum has lurkers I not post the actual APR) Yes i have been late a few times over the years . Those late fees,few as they were. was removed as they understand that you cant aways get it on the 5th and the International(member) user is their concern

USAA member,Since 1988 and very proud of all the service I have received

Edited by Call me Bubba

MikeB
Posted
Posted
its been said that CAPITAL ONE does not charge altho they do have annual fees and a higher APR

I have never been charged an annual fee on any of my 3 Cap1 accounts. No foreign transaction fees either, it's what I use 100%. I wouldn't know about APRs because I pay off the balance, if any, on the credit card before they can add interest.

• Like 2

josher101
Posted
Posted

I used the wrong term, it should have been secured...

• 3 weeks later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

I have never been charged an annual fee on any of my 3 Cap1 accounts. No foreign transaction fees either, it's what I use 100%. I wouldn't know about APRs because I pay off the balance, if any, on the credit card before they can add interest.

I have had the same experience. I use a CapitalOne card for all my credit card purchases when I visit the Philippines. For my last visit, when I called to ensure the card would be valid during my visit, I ended up getting someone in a Philippines call center.

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted (edited)

HSBC had stated sometime around the start of the year that they are going to be closing out their banks in the Philippines. I believe I put a link to the news item at that time. I will see if I can find it later today - busy day planned - though I will try and keep up on all the good info here through my phone!

:attention:

Bob,

Check this out:

http://business.inqu...-of-philippines

Good news for me ... if true!

Edited by Zanby

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

HSBC had stated sometime around the start of the year that they are going to be closing out their banks in the Philippines. I believe I put a link to the news item at that time. I will see if I can find it later today - busy day planned - though I will try and keep up on all the good info here through my phone!

Bob,

Check this out:

The article in the Financial Times was from the day before the Inquirer article and had Peter Wong - the Chief Executive for Asia. The Inquirer article had a Senior VP for the Philippines Communications and Corporate Sustainability. Hmm... One of them must be a little mixed up though I am not going to be on which. The article I referred to previously also quoted Peter Wong at that time as also saying then that HSBC would be closing in the Philippines.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d38329ac-6c1a-11e1-8c9d-00144feab49a.html#axzz298hn0hYD

HSBC was doing quite the business here in Canada in the personal loans game and told everybody that their jobs were safe too. They are now going to close down the personal loan business though they are nice and will keep the banks open.

Edited by I am bob
corrected spelling and added link

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Bob,

Check this out:

From the article:

Three years ago, the workers’ union submitted two cases of unfair labor practice against the bank’s management for relocating its business office to Alabang and for outsourcing 450 jobs.

What the heck? HSBC is outsourcing Filipino jobs? To where?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Outsourcing in the Philippines? Now that's funny!

That is one of the reasons I won't bank with HSBC. I used to deal with the Hong Kong Bank of Canada (part of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp) before they changed their name here and they were great! You went in and took a seat on a nice leather sofa or chair. Somebody would come to you and ask how they could help you and they would complete all the paperwork for you. You checked it, they either took your money for deposit or brought you your money, had you sign for it, and away you went. Never did you have to leave that nice comfy couch! Free coffee, tea, water or soft drinks served to you while they accomplished their tasks. I knew when the name change came (HSBC moved out HO from Hong Kong to London and reorganized) that the service would change and I was right - it became another poorly run and operated bank - just like all the others! And when I started having "issues" with their accounting procedures on a loan (they would forget to post payments for a month or two and wouldn't correct the interest thus now owed) I left. You should have seen some of the nasty letters I got! Now, to me, they are just there to collect any penny or peso they can and ignore their customers' well being. So, since my dealings with them are now zero, it won't bother me if they close up or stay. They are a non-bank to me.

:morning1: