OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
In 1994, I had a website

1994? That was before Al Gore invented the internet! :hystery: :hystery:

Markham
Posted
Posted
Citbank also has a branch in both, Manila and Cebu.

ATMs seems to be free.

as of late October (bewteen 15-21) CITIBANK NOW charges a 200p atm fee,

for now the only bank not having one is HSBC.

am I cheap, No I just try to save a few pesos and HSBC allows up to 20k withdrawal

anyway my bank(USAA) refunds some of my ATM fees

HSBC's per-transaction withdrawal limit for Premier customers is actually 40k with (I believe) a daily limit of 100k.

In addition to Manila, where there are several branches dotted around the NCR, HSBC has branches in Cebu (opposite the Marriot Hotel) and Davao (within a 3 minute walk from the Marco Polo) and all have Premier Centres. The bank will only issue a local credit card (Mastercard) if you can prove you hold a permanent Residents Visa and they require photocopies of your Passport and ACR-I Card -- to comply with BSP regulations. If you hold a Peso account (and are resident), you will be issued with a Debit Card (Visa) rather than simply an ATM card.

HSBC does charge non-Premier customers fees to transfer funds between countries though a lower rate is applied if the transfer is between "globally-linked accounts" and you do the transfer online whilst Premier customers are only charged for transfers to accounts/payees that are not, or can not be, performed online.

I continue to maintain an account with my local UK branch where I keep the bulk of my assets for the very simple reason that the PDIC guarantee limit here is 500k per account holder whilst the entire amount is guaranteed by the Bank of England for deposits held in British banks.

The above is all based on my experience over the last six years. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
If you hold a Peso account (and are resident), you will be issued with a Debit Card (Visa) rather than simply an ATM card.

Could someone give our members a comparison between a debit and an ATM card? In some countries this is a foreign notion (no pun intended I think...) as debit and ATM cards are the same thing. I believe I know the full difference but I would rather defer this to someone who does know - just to be sure.

:89:

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
If you hold a Peso account (and are resident), you will be issued with a Debit Card (Visa) rather than simply an ATM card.

Could someone give our members a comparison between a debit and an ATM card? In some countries this is a foreign notion (no pun intended I think...) as debit and ATM cards are the same thing. I believe I know the full difference but I would rather defer this to someone who does know - just to be sure.

I'll try Bob.

Here in the RP let's use BDO for an example. They issue 2 types of debit cards. 1 with a Visa / MC logo with a V/M type card# on it and the other is a plain debit card with no V/M logo and some random type card #. The 1st one can be used anywhere a business takes CC whereas the 2nd one can only be used at a place who takes them. The 1st can do online purchases whereas the 2nd can't. I hope this helps.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'll try Bob.

Here in the RP let's use BDO for an example. They issue 2 types of debit cards. 1 with a Visa / MC logo with a V/M type card# on it and the other is a plain debit card with no V/M logo and some random type card #. The 1st one can be used anywhere a business takes CC whereas the 2nd one can only be used at a place who takes them. The 1st can do online purchases whereas the 2nd can't. I hope this helps.

Just to add

A debit card can be used in the same way as a credit card except you are using your own money. This means that where MasterCard or visa are accepted then your card should work to.