Farm Lease Or Rent

patrickJ
Posted
Posted

Im interested when i move to cebu area to possible rent ot lease farm ground. Is this easily found around the area? And if so what are the usually cost for this as well as the terms?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I'm interested when i move to cebu area to possible rent or lease farm ground. Is this easily found around the area? And if so what are the usually cost for this as well as the terms?

:welcome-19: Welcome Patrick. jack P. just popping up to say hello and welcome you to the board. :tiphat: Plenty of help and advice around, from some great guys and gals. Below your post is and advertisement for one of our members, I have heard good reports on his Advice and Dealings so maybe making contact with him will be good for you. I am sure he can Point you in the right direction, if he can not help you Directly, just to be sure I have added the link also, to make things easier for you. have fun and I hope all goes well for you. Contact Geoff , I think he may well be able to help you. :thumbsup:

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Im interested when i move to cebu area to possible rent ot lease farm ground. Is this easily found around the area? And if so what are the usually cost for this as well as the terms?

It's common that poor Filipino farmers will share crop or rent farmland.

If you as a Foreigner were involved not so sure how it would work out could be a can or worms. Is this going to be something you will be directly involved or for a family member? The reason for asking is you may not want to put yourself in a position of competing with locals. Some Expats have small farms and or raise animals no problems other times it can be a big problem. Just my opinion hope that helps a little.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippine Board of Investment website sometimes includes annual lease/rent prices for agriculture land. Per hectare prices differ by region. I was told that the Department of Agriculture has similar information on agri-land, but I have not located it.

There is a Bureau of Agricultural Statistics website which has very accurate information on commodity prices. If you are planning commercial agriculture crops, check the wholesale and retail prices. You can go back ten or more years for information on price trends.

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Foreigner will have trouble farming large scale for sure, if it his wife and her relatives ok, we have coconut and banana, duran and coffee but not worth the trouble for me, so it is harvested by my wifes family and sold to provide care for her grandmother, the price is so low now they dont harvest the coconut, take care to walk out of the way, they are falling off.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

It is mostly subsistence farming in the Philippines. Even top rated programs like the University of the Philippines, College of Agriculture in Los Banos are experiencing a consistent decline in their enrollment. Few want to become farmers because you can't make money. Most of the agriculture revenue go to others in the supply chain. Our farm's annual harvest from 1,000 mango trees is an example. Farm gate revenues is less than 10.9% of retail price. My initial idea was U-Pick Mangos, which would boost revenues to 60%. The website is www.u-pickfruits.com. It's a beautiful website designed by the moderator and owner of this forum.

A much better revenue stream is a farm-based continuing care retirement community where the fruits, vegetables, meat and poultry are organic. Even the drinking water is chemical-free from a natural spring. A studio would rent around $!,500 a month, which includes meals and housekeeping services. We have 400 coconuts. The fruits are not harvested because market prices are too low. I am think about "tuba" production or "lambanog" if permitted by the Philippine government. It should be okay so long as we don't sell it. The intent is for consumption by the community and their guests.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Foreigner will have trouble farming large scale for sure,

No trouble at all. Invest 12000 Pesos, work the land, harvest, sell . . return is 10000 pesos . . hold a big party with all the 'profits and redo.

I finally told her that she should let her family farm the land and keep all the 'profit' in return for a sack of rice at harvest time.

• Like 5

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Foreigner will have trouble farming large scale for sure,

No trouble at all. Invest 12000 Pesos, work the land, harvest, sell . . return is 10000 pesos . . hold a big party with all the 'profits and redo.

I finally told her that she should let her family farm the land and keep all the 'profit' in return for a sack of rice at harvest time.

I shouldn't laugh, but knowing what i know , you're pretty close to the mark.

We have a saying in Australia ; ( If you want to be a millionaire farming, it's easy.............start off with 2 million dollars and keep farming until you have 1 million )

I suspect a similar situation exists here.

As far as land lease costs go i can only speak for the Carcar area and after talking with farmers here, it varies quite a bit but to give you a rough idea a 1 hectare lot may cost you around Php5,000 - Php10,000 per year.

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I don't know why the farmers are complaining that they don't make any money... maybe it's the crop?

Do what they do here in Canada... Obtain farmland at almost no cost and grow subdivisions! :mocking:

Seriously, the only kind of farming I would consider these days is a hobby farm for my own consumption and maybe to sell a bit to the locals to help offset costs.

• Like 2

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Around Yati/Liloan, most of the farmers open a small spot in the markets and sell their own fruits at the same price the regulars who buy from "wholesalers" sell them for.

Transportation to the market is a problem for some, but if you can get the crops into the market, you can possibly make a profit.

Just cut out the middle man/men.