It's Almost That Time Of The Year Again Expats.......

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why do we introduce Santa to the Philippines? why do we think that our way is the only way? Beats me :unsure:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Why do we introduce Santa to the Philippines? why do we think that our way is the only way? Beats me :unsure:

What a Killjoy! You Meanie!!! Or is it you just don't want to put the Christmas emoticons up? :mocking:

Seriously, I think Santa was known about in the Philippines a lot longer than we have been here.... Ok, well, maybe as long as we (the Western world) has been here... Santa Claus is derived from Sinter Klaas which in itself was shortened version of the Dutch name for Saint Nicholas - a Catholic saint from (I believe) around the 4th Century and lived in Turkey. His claim to Sainthood was through his being a devout Christian and continual work and giving to the poor. There is a story that he gave dowrys to several sisters who were very poor so that they would not have to become prostitutes. Now, being that the Catholic Church is very well established in the Philippines, I imagine that it didn't take much to link Saint Nicholas to Santa Clause from there.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

post-7-0-72435400-1346586676_thumb.jpgFor you meanies out there, Show your kids this.

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Its not about being mean but really, why are these white westerners dressing up in a suit that most Filipinos can not relate too. What is their point? To me another example of putting western ways into an already split culture that does not even know there culture.

:(

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I asked my sweety why santa never comes to the Philippines and she just said because its to hot for the raindeers .

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Gasp! Are you suggesting Santa and his reindeer are a myth? :kidding:

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

102038_f248.jpg

Who's going to be the first to become "caroled"?

We had a few about a month ago and the drunks do it year round when they get hard up for Tuba/cash.

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Yeah well, nearly time for a bit of work from me.

Started doing Santa last xmas, (St Nicholas actually) for the kids around here. Gave out 1,700 candies around the traps, nearly all at the elementary next door. 15 different class rooms visited and I can guarantee that none of those kids (except my 3) had seen Santa ever before, except on telly, and I reckon pretty much all the adults were in the same boat...

Stood out front my wife's cafe for 45 minutes waving at all the cars and giving out the few remaining candies and posing for photos with a few Korean tourists who came running up... Anyway, the kids around here remember and now and then I get little squeeky voices calling out "Hi Santa" when I'm walking around... This year I'll be making a Santa sleigh to go over my pickup and have a mate driving with a little green Elf hat on. Be a reindeer, also outa plywood like the sleigh, on the bonnet (hood) and I plan to sit in the back, or stand and throw candies out to the kids... It's hard bloody work and I was buggered last time over more than 2.5 hours. Might do a raid on the Gaisano shopping centre this time, one day, for a little bit and hand out a few more candies to kids. Bloody security will probably kick me out... Anyway, it's more fun in the Philippines.

post-2528-0-74913600-1346078333_thumb.jp

Oops! Sorry... How did my baby pic get in there?

Ah, here we go, still as ugly as ever...

post-2528-0-12776300-1346078402_thumb.jp post-2528-0-54963800-1346078543_thumb.jp

Even Santa looks malnourished in the Philippines.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

post-7-0-72435400-1346586676_thumb.jpgFor you meanies out there, Show your kids this.

At least his house is still open, still has some visitors too.perhaps as a tribute to the Great one(not Elvis)

link to santas webcam in Rovaniemi.finland

http://www.santaclau...779������������

Edited by Call me Bubba

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Going on fb wall now... LOL :thumbsup: