Registered Post, Claims

banyanman
Posted
Posted
the mail system in the Philippines is really really really broken!

You only have to go to the main post office in Quezon City to see how broken the system is.

I've ordered three books from Barnes & Noble in the US in the past 18 months, and none have arrived. Fortunately B&N have a policy of refunding your money if it doesn't arrive, but after three books I am embarrassed to try again otherwise B&N may think I'm trying to con them. I guess the only option is to use Fedex, but that adds a lot to the cost.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
A mate of mine told me, some years ago, that he sent his girl in Manila a birthday card. He put a $50 note inside the card and sealed it up. The girl got the card, opened the envelope and there was nothing inside.

You think the Philippines is bad. When Mother Theresa gained international fame, people from all over the world were sending her cash donations in airmail envelopes. Mother Theresa, rather the Sisters of Charity, never got the money. The address was a mission near a small town in a remote area. The India government was so embarrassed they created a special task force to intercept all mail addressed to her as it arrived through international airports. The mail was sent with armed guards to one of her missions.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
the mail system in the Philippines is really really really broken!

You only have to go to the main post office in Quezon City to see how broken the system is.

I've ordered three books from Barnes & Noble in the US in the past 18 months, and none have arrived. Fortunately B&N have a policy of refunding your money if it doesn't arrive, but after three books I am embarrassed to try again otherwise B&N may think I'm trying to con them. I guess the only option is to use Fedex, but that adds a lot to the cost.

I don't know if this will work for you as your home country is not the USA, but there are mail forwarding/scanning services which will give you a street address where they will receive shipments for purchases made in the US. Then they can either ship on to you individually things or aggregate multiple purchases into one shipment.

I think one of these is usamailbox.com. Just search on this forum for mail forwarders.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

There are other ways and companies to send you stuff but unfortunately they are extremely expensive especially for stuff like books ..... have you tried asking National Book Sore to order books for you ..... some people have had good luck ordering from them ...... just a thought ...... :cheersty:

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

With the Christmas season approaching, I want to add a note regarding the Philippine postal system. Don't sent an odd size envelope that may appear to be a Christmas card. It will be opened because the envelope may contain gift money.

A mate of mine told me, some years ago, that he sent his girl in Manila a birthday card. He put a $50 note inside the card and sealed it up. The girl got the card, opened the envelope and there was nothing inside.

You don't like hearing truthfull and accurate info on matters from me

Wheres the truth A friend some years ago , Accurate LOL maybe the guy didn,t send the money maybe the girl got it and said it did not arrive it all sound like a urban myth told from person to person drinking beers trying to better the story

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I guess I'm one of the really luck ones....

I posted earlier that I had sent a birthday present to my special someone in April for her birthday in May (as this was what Canada Post told me was the time needed to deliver to her) and she received it in August. I notified Canada Post that she finally did get the parcel. Canada Post sent me a cheque to cover the shipping costs which I received yesterday.

As for mail forwarders? I have one that will only cost me for the shipping - my sister!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Wheres the truth A friend some years ago , Accurate LOL maybe the guy didn,t send the money maybe the girl got it and said it did not arrive it all sound like a urban myth told from person to person drinking beers trying to better the story

The purpose of this forum is to share information about the Philippines. Some of the information is from personal experience. Others might be anecdotal as in, "I heard it from a close friend." It is up to the reader to determine truthfulness and accuracy. Over the time period I have participated, there has been lots of interesting discussions that has been very valuable in preparing for my own retirement.

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted

Back on topic.................... She now has it................pestering the post office helped in a way..... one of the security guards took pity on her or fancied her and opened up some bags and found it.

• Like 2