Basics On Staying In Cebu Over A Longer Period

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

I've perused this forum and tried to gleen the information about flying out of RP for a short stay and then returning to enjoy another 2 months or longer visa. The info must be here on this forum and perhaps I just didn't ask the right questions in the search box, I don't know. What I can't get my head around is that every country requires that you have a return ticket when you enter that country which must eventually end up being to the country that you are a citizen of, in my case Australia. So how does it work when I don't use my return ticket to Australia? I hear everyone saying to get a return ticket to Hong Kong or Thailand etc but still, I will be returning without an onward ticket. I really want to get this right as I don't want to be blacklisted at the customs. I'm about to purchase a ticket to Cebu and the answer to this question will help me make my decision on what duration of validity my air ticket will have. I know there are heaps of foreigners doing this but I'm a newbie to this and I'm just want to do it right.

Thanks for your help

Edited by Just Fred

luke
Posted
Posted

The requirement is to arrive with a ticket OUTWARD of the PH to any destination.

I don't know how long you have been staying in the country right now. You would be able to stay up to 16 months by extending every 2 months.

If you are married to a Filipino, a 13A visa can give you permanent residency.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=35

Or a Special Retirement Visa could be a solution if you have money to spare.

http://www.pra.gov.ph

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Right ..... they don't care where you go just as long as you can leave the Philippines should BI decides they don't want you here ..... it rally isn't a BI problem as you will be shipped out of the country regardless if you have an onward ticket or not by the airlines that brought you here ..... they have the problem as they must take you back from where you came so it is the airlines that makes sure you have an onward ticket ..... and most if not all airlines will now make sure you have an onward ticket so they aren't stuck footing the bill .... the BI has made it the airlines responsibility to insure you have an onward ticket ...... :cheersty:

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks for your replys guys. I gather that means that I'm required to buy a return ticket in the country that I visit so I have a ticket out of RP when I return? Or is that not necessary?

I don't have a set plan now. I'm looking towards travelling in mid October to catch the low season airfares. This is the start of my trial retirement in RP. I'm going to visit a lady in Cebu but nothing is set in stone. I have recently spent 2 months in Luzon, half of which was in Manila, a subject I'll talk about on another occasion. Now I'm just going to start in Cebu with a lady friend and stay as long as I can.

I look forward to catching up with some forum members soon for a beer :cheers:

Edited by Just Fred

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Actually I bought my onward ticket before I ever got here on-line ...... I believe if you are already here you can buy an onward ticket before you leave if you are just going for a few days or weeks ..... just make sure the onward ticket doesn't expire before you get back ..... IMHO ...... some guys have even gotten a boat ticket as long as it goes to a foreign port ..... but I've just heard that ..... I'm on a 13a so no need for me to leave the country ....

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

Fred, you need to have a return or onward ticket before you board a plane to PH. Most likely it will be asked to show on check-in. If you planning to stay for less than a year an open dated return ticket (no date, valid for 6 months or 1 year) can be a solution, but the price maybe higher. Check with your travel agent. They may have some solutions for you.

Or you buy a one way ticket to PH and buy a one way ticket out of PH to, for example Hongkong or Taipei or any cheap destination. Lots of budget airline have cheap tickets from Clark airport to Singapore, HK, etc.. You don't have to use the ticket. When your time has come to return to AUS, by a one way ticket from PH to AUS anf off you go.

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Fred, you need to have a return or onward ticket before you board a plane to PH. Most likely it will be asked to show on check-in. If you planning to stay for less than a year an open dated return ticket (no date, valid for 6 months or 1 year) can be a solution, but the price maybe higher. Check with your travel agent. They may have some solutions for you.

Or you buy a one way ticket to PH and buy a one way ticket out of PH to, for example Hongkong or Taipei or any cheap destination. Lots of budget airline have cheap tickets from Clark airport to Singapore, HK, etc.. You don't have to use the ticket. When your time has come to return to AUS, by a one way ticket from PH to AUS anf off you go.

Thanks Luke. My worry has been the availability of one way tickets to other countries...thats what racks my brain. Ask a travel agent in Australia and they will tell you you need a return ticket out of any country you aren't a citizen of. If you are aware of one way only tickets for sale in RP, well thats my problem solved. I will know more too when its boots on the ground in Cebu.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

Actually I bought my onward ticket before I ever got here on-line ...... I believe if you are already here you can buy an onward ticket before you leave if you are just going for a few days or weeks ..... just make sure the onward ticket doesn't expire before you get back ..... IMHO ...... some guys have even gotten a boat ticket as long as it goes to a foreign port ..... but I've just heard that ..... I'm on a 13a so no need for me to leave the country ....

Thanks Mike, I will definitely search out some experienced expats and see how they go about things. I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing but it doesn't hurt to enquire and be enlightened.

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

I've perused this forum and tried to gleen the information about flying out of RP for a short stay and then returning to enjoy another 2 months or longer visa. The info must be here on this forum and perhaps I just didn't ask the right questions in the search box, I don't know. What I can't get my head around is that every country requires that you have a return ticket when you enter that country which must eventually end up being to the country that you are a citizen of, in my case Australia. So how does it work when I don't use my return ticket to Australia? I hear everyone saying to get a return ticket to Hong Kong or Thailand etc but still, I will be returning without an onward ticket. I really want to get this right as I don't want to be blacklisted at the customs. I'm about to purchase a ticket to Cebu and the answer to this question will help me make my decision on what duration of validity my air ticket will have. I know there are heaps of foreigners doing this but I'm a newbie to this and I'm just want to do it right.

Thanks for your help

Get a cheap ticket, it is known as a THROW AWAY ticket because you just show and throw.

• Like 1

luke
Posted
Posted

Just an example of one way tickets out of PH:

http://www.skyscanner.com.ph/flights/ph/hkg/121008/cheapest-flights-from-philippines-to-hong-kong-international-in-october-2012.html

If you cannot buy online, ask your lady friend (if she's willing) to buy in your name and send a copy by email.

• Like 1