Basics On Staying In Cebu Over A Longer Period

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Tiger Air, Clark to where ever best price if you shop there, boat ticket is higher i checked on that one time, you should be able to get something around P800 up

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Fred, we came here from Brisbane on one-way tickets last July. You do not need a "return" ticket to anywhere but you definitely do need an "onward" ticket to show the airlines before you board in Australia.If you don't have one, then most likely you WILL be denied boarding.

It is my experience that you should have an onward ticket out of the Philippines to "any" destination it doesn't matter but it should be dated for a departure within 21 days after your arrival here.This is regardless of whatever visa status you may have.

We got ours online from Tiger from Clark to Kota Kinabalu and the cost was about $22 each.

• Like 2

temploni
Posted
Posted

Fred i have stayed in the philippines for more than 14 months on a tourist visa (renewed every 2 months)at the local immigration office.When i left for a holiday 2 weeks ago I had to pay travel tax 1620pesos the same as a filipino traveler as i had been in the country for more than 12 months also as i had been here for more than 6 months i required an exit clearance(500ph).On my return i purchased of a single ticket in my holiday country for out of the philipiines with the cheapest airline i could find as i was not going to use the ticket.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Ask a travel agent in Australia

And therein is the problem Travel agents do not help you. Travel agents assist you when they make a profit from it and at all other times cover their own ass.

Your travel agent is wrong. My personal experience was to arrive from Hong Kong to Cebu with an exit ticket from Clark to Malaysia (very cheap at the time). No problem!

BTW, for a few years in Canada I was a travel agent. The other thing we had to do besides cover our asses was to sell insurance, Wonder if they still do that.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Yes, Dave, they do!

And some get very upset if you decline as they must be getting pretty good commissions from it or maybe it's because they have to maintain a quota or something but watch out if you decline!

:mocking:

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
You do not need a "return" ticket to anywhere but you definitely do need an "onward" ticket to show the airlines before you board in Australia.If you don't have one, then most likely you WILL be denied boarding.

Hi Bundy, thanks for you help. I asked about Hongkong as an onward ticket but was told I would need a ticket out from there also. Perhaps it's just travel agents covering their a#$es. I think for this time I'll get a return ticket to Cebu and then see how it goes from there. My GF's previous partner is an Australian living in Cebu so I'm sure she and him too (they are still good friends) can help. I'm just wanted to get a heads up so I'm not ignorant at least. Don't want to ruin my retirement plans hehe.

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted
The other thing we had to do besides cover our asses was to sell insurance, Wonder if they still do that

Hi Dave, yes they do. Its the first line they deliver after the ticket is purchased. I posted an article here at this forum before I went to RP on my first trip about it. I purchased my ticket with a gold card which offers complimentary travel insurance for a few months but the travel agent still suggested that I buy from them. Its quite pricey too.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Hi Dave, yes they do. Its the first line they deliver after the ticket is purchased. I posted an article here at this forum before I went to RP on my first trip about it. I purchased my ticket with a gold card which offers complimentary travel insurance for a few months but the travel agent still suggested that I buy from them. Its quite pricey too.

Our agency used to get 40% commission (no thats not a typo) on any insurance we sold. That is hefty and you can see why they push it. We were a small agency so I am sure the bigger ones get more.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Fred, just get on line or if your in the Philippines get a ticket from Cebu Pacific or someone, one way to anywhere cheap. Forget travel agents as all you need is an electronic ticket, paperless ticket. That's it, that is all that is required to satisfies the airlines to allow you to board and for when you arrive.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

Questions...

As far as the throw-away ticket. Should it be an out of the RP ticket but within 21 days? If so, doesn't this mean one should keep buying throwaways every time a renewal comes along?

Frankly, I am finding this to be a cumbersome way of staying? It's like, one has to plan for the next renewal as soon as he/she lands!

What if they there was no one way ticket? What if prices went up? What if the RP Immigration changed the rules? It doesn't look like one can plan on it!?

I know other countries would give you some 90 free days (instead of the 21) and have some residency rules that would let you plan ahead, but then it could be just me?

Or may be it's just the Philippines!? :help56: