Earth Quake

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was in the bar for it and thought I must have been thunker than I drunk I was.

But it went on and on. Its the first time I recall that an earthquake has been felt over so much of the Philippines. Usually when there is an earthquake in Cebu or Mindanao or Samar or Biliran then the other three do not feel it. Almost always I notice that. This time all 4 places felt it and it went on 4 a minute. I had to comfort one of the poor girls who was sitting in the bar and got really scared when it went on for a minute or so. The lights went out too, but only for a minute. I felt really bad, holding that poor, scared girl while the room was shaking and the lights were out. But I told her not to worry, there were people out there who would 'rescue' her if they found out she was trapped in a bar.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

There is an incredible difference in the strength of an earth quake the stronger it gets ...... the first one 7.6 was felt from north to south Philippines but the after shocks that followed ranging from 5.7 to 4.8 (17 so far) we didn't feel here at all .... and the depth of the quakes also varied ..... I think the reason so many felt the quake is because it was near the Philippine trench which runs from Manila to Mindanao along the east coast of the Philippines ..... just my theory ..... :mocking:

post-11-0-86606700-1346471921_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear everyone is safe! We were watching it on the local news, and contacted a good friend (and my attorney) down in Legazpi City and he said that he also felt it while driving!

Papa Carl

• Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

As a side note to this topic and directed mainly at those living in Cebu, in your opinions, how would the condos stand up to a substantial earthquake? I'm sure with my cynical outlook that they are going up quick and RP being as corrupt as it is maybe making shortcuts that could undermine the condo structure after a few successive quakes. Anyone have any comments on this? I'd hate to purchase a Condo and find it crumble to the ground, especially if I was inside.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

As a side note to this topic and directed mainly at those living in Cebu, in your opinions, how would the condos stand up to a substantial earthquake? I'm sure with my cynical outlook that they are going up quick and RP being as corrupt as it is maybe making shortcuts that could undermine the condo structure after a few successive quakes. Anyone have any comments on this? I'd hate to purchase a Condo and find it crumble to the ground, especially if I was inside.

If you want the accurate answer to this, ask an insurance company what it would cost to insure you condo against earthquakes. When you find out the the amount is a hefty sum you will ask yourself why and you will have your answer. Be careful though. There are some agencies that quote cheap but do not pay out. If you ask a quality company you will find the price on earthquake insurance much higher than fire insurance. So that means they reckon the risk of earthquake is higher than the risk of fire .. . think on that because Cebu has no fire equipment good enough to rescue you if fire breaks out while you are on the higher levels of a condo or hotel

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

This is a refresher of what to do so you can BE PREPARED when a QUAKE occurs,

post-1293-0-29285800-1305129783_thumb.jp

post-1293-0-28552700-1305129757_thumb.jp

post-1293-0-04237900-1305129799_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
As a side note to this topic and directed mainly at those living in Cebu, in your opinions, how would the condos stand up to a substantial earthquake?

For those who suffered this Quake, did you have any damage? observe any?

Is your supply of San magos still SAFE? :cheersty:

serious note if you(FM) can share any photos of the damage that you had or saw. :tiphat:

the Forum would love to see /(at least me)

• Like 5