Earth Quake

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

As a side note to this topic and directed mainly at those living in Cebu, in your opinions, how would the condos stand up to a substantial earthquake? I'm sure with my cynical outlook that they are going up quick and RP being as corrupt as it is maybe making shortcuts that could undermine the condo structure after a few successive quakes. Anyone have any comments on this? I'd hate to purchase a Condo and find it crumble to the ground, especially if I was inside.

If you want the accurate answer to this, ask an insurance company what it would cost to insure you condo against earthquakes. When you find out the the amount is a hefty sum you will ask yourself why and you will have your answer. Be careful though. There are some agencies that quote cheap but do not pay out. If you ask a quality company you will find the price on earthquake insurance much higher than fire insurance. So that means they reckon the risk of earthquake is higher than the risk of fire .. . think on that because Cebu has no fire equipment good enough to rescue you if fire breaks out while you are on the higher levels of a condo or hotel

Thanks Dave, I think that answers my question without doubt. I think I will stick to renting until the time comes when I can buy a house more suitable to my and my partner's needs. First I have to have a partner but that is nearly a certainty.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
If you ask a quality company you will find the price on earthquake insurance much higher than fire insurance. So that means they reckon the risk of earthquake is higher than the risk of fire

Or could be that the potential damage from an earthquake would be much worse in a high rise then a fire. But I don't know if fire insurance is more or even if earthquake insurance is available. I know an insurance agent who lives in Winland Towers on the upper floors so I will check w/him.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Philippine government seems to be admitting, according to this newspaper article, that the Insurance rates are cut low by most insurers because when the big one hits they have no intention of paying out:

“Insurance companies has been undercutting premium rates or virtually giving away the coverage for these risks for free just to get a bigger chunk of the business. Such a practice, endangers the industry in the long run because it could lead to non-payment of claims by certain insurance companies due to lack of reserved funds,” the commission said.

Read more at

http://www.philstar....rticleId=592718

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Regardless of what happens, the higher the building - the more chance of a calamitous result!

In most earthquake prone areas, a "sway" factor is built into the design and manufacture of the building. I don't think that is a much followed practise in the Philippines.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I had to comfort one of the poor girls who was sitting in the bar and got really scared when it went on for a minute or so. The lights went out too, but only for a minute. I felt really bad, holding that poor, scared girl while the room was shaking and the lights were out. But I told her not to worry, there were people out there who would 'rescue' her if they found out she was trapped in a bar.

OK; can someone go down to the bar and tell the girl the risk is over and release her from Dave's safety grip. Man these things get dragged out sometimes. :)

OH, Dave your wife called asking if I have seen you!

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a refresher of what to do so you can BE PREPARED when a QUAKE occurs,

Thank you Ed (Bubba) for the vital emergency information. I mentioned in my other post about establishing

a meeting place for your family members. It's very important to account for all of them quickly. If you don't

have a meeting place, then one would assume that someone is still inside and you would go running into a

burning house just to save them. But only to discover that he or she is already outside.

A meeting place should be nearby of course, away from fallen power lines and higher ground, if living near

coastal areas. Have all members of the family practice how to safely egress a burning home on their hands

and knees (get below the smoke). And then have them run to your meeting place for a final head count.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 5

MikeB
Posted
Posted
If you ask a quality company you will find the price on earthquake insurance much higher than fire insurance. So that means they reckon the risk of earthquake is higher than the risk of fire

Or could be that the potential damage from an earthquake would be much worse in a high rise then a fire. But I don't know if fire insurance is more or even if earthquake insurance is available. I know an insurance agent who lives in Winland Towers on the upper floors so I will check w/him.

The insurance guy said earthquake insurance is available, it falls under an "umbrella policy" that also covers fire, flood, typhoon, and accident. There are many options, for example one with coverage of p4M costs p4k annually for fire insurance only. If you add in the others (quake, flood, etc) the same amount of coverage costs p7.6k. Not really that much more.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Excuse me if the RED post offends but I wish to make a serious point

DO you have FAST ACCESS to your MOST IMPORTANT PAPERS ?

(wallet, $$$.atm cards. ACR-I- CARD. house keys , Medications & other needed documents)

Keep something nearby(READLIY ACCESSABLE)

yet SAFELY Secured ( so that you can GRAB/Fetch it Quick on the way out).

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 3

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

Now that you mention it Bubba, my family in Cebu has been practising this for years. Not just for earthquake but for fire. Important papers and the likes are in pouches in a safe so in any emergency - fire, floods and earthquake, it will easily grab no need thinking. They are also drummed into the household to pick the pouch before running away.

My mother was a child in the war years so her experienced make her practical in any emergencies. She never throw old sheets away, as she insisted that in an emergency you grab your belongs and throw them onto the sheet, tie them up and off you go.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Now that you mention it Bubba, my family in Cebu has been practising this for years. Not just for earthquake but for fire. Important papers and the likes are in pouches in a safe so in any emergency - fire, floods and earthquake, it will easily grab no need thinking. They are also drummed into the household to pick the pouch before running away.

My mother was a child in the war years so her experienced make her practical in any emergencies. She never throw old sheets away, as she insisted that in an emergency you grab your belongs and throw them onto the sheet, tie them up and off you go.

Good morning Ashanti, (well, at least here is southern California....he, he)

What a good way to start my morning by reading your post above. The WWII experience of

the matriarch of the family, your mother is a testament of self perseverance and the wisdom

to pass on her old school street smarts.

Perhaps you have given me a thought about a new topic: Our Lolo and Lola.......

Have a pleasant evening Ashanti -- Jake

• Like 3