Tech Help Needed For Tablet

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just completed reservations for a two weeks business trip to the Philippines from Oct. 10th to 22nd. My plan is to bring a Samsung Galaxy Tablet for email messages. It has 4G through T-Mobile, which my son said won't work in the Philippines. While driving through California, Nevada and Arizona a few months ago, the tablet would search for open WiFi networks for GPS and Internet . When none could be located, it would switch to 4G.

My Philippine travel is mostly Metro Manila, but it will include overnight stays Olongapo, Tagaytay Ridge, Iloilo City and possibly Cebu City. What is the best and least expensive way to get Internet connectivity while on the road? Again, my primary need is to check and repond to email messages. The service requirement is only for two weeks.

Edited by JJR

shiredevon
Posted
Posted

Gotta be a dongle i guess, signal can be sporadic though, and sometimes it's hard to switch between software if your using Smart and Globe,

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

jjr if your tablet has wifi i think that might be your best bet just find a local coffee shop that has wifi and you should be fine !! now as for full time connectivity i dont know personally i dont have a tablet so i cant say if a dongle will work with it ! myself when im in metro manila i just go to a coffee shop order a coffee or two and check emails , im sorry if i couldnt be more help !!!

O-U-C :thumbsup:

Brucewayne
Posted
Posted

If you are talking standard WiFi, you have to be near a wireless router.

If you are talking satellite signal, there are dead zones and the Philippines can't receive the satellites that circle above the U.S., although, you might be able to prescribe to their service while here.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

luke
Posted
Posted

If T-Mobile does not lock your tablet to only T-mobile, you can get a local prepaid SIM. Smart, Globe, Sun will be happy to assist you with getting your tablet up and running. Don't expect any 4G connectivity beside a few spots in Makati. 3G at best and once on the road 2G (still ok for emails). Most coffee shops and hotels have paid or free WIFI. So I don't think you will must problems getting connected. Only "on the road" will be a challenge.

If your Tablet is locked to T-Mobile then (DATA) roaming may work but expect huge bill when you get back home!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Without knowing which model it is, there are different answers...

Easiest thing to look at - is it a model that has a USB port? Some Galaxy's do and some don't... If so, you can go with a Pay As You Go Broadband Stick - they usually start just under P1000 and cost around P10 to P20 for 30 minutes. If you are not locked to T-Mobile or can get it unlocked, you can consider changing your SIM Card which will be cheaper yet. Just don't forget to check your broadcast specs to ensure that they will work. Some tablets can't change or use multiple broadcast ranges and thus you will see them for sale for cheap. Speaking of cheap - as in cheapest of all? Odds are your hotel - or a nearby coffeeshop - will have free WIFI. So if you are just downloading emails, that's your best answer! Without getting really technical, these are about the only ways to get online easily and cheaply while travelling.

Curley
Posted
Posted
Speaking of cheap - as in cheapest of all? Odds are your hotel - or a nearby coffeeshop - will have free WIFI.

I've found that most 4 and 5 star hotels in the Phils charge for wifi use.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Speaking of cheap - as in cheapest of all? Odds are your hotel - or a nearby coffeeshop - will have free WIFI.

I've found that most 4 and 5 star hotels in the Phils charge for wifi use.

Now that I did not know! I thought the up-scale hotels had the free internet... I learn something new every day!

Thank you Curley!

luke
Posted
Posted

In Asia, 3-4 star hotels mostly have free internet. The 5 star hotels almost all charge for internet use unless you have corporate agreement that may include internet in your room rate (as it is in my case) . I have experienced the same in the Middle East. The quality of the internet connection vary widely among the lower end hotels, while in high end hotels (paid) internet is usually much better/stable. The charges have come down significantly compared with 5-10 years ago.