Calling Cards To Phils

MichaelTX
Posted
Posted

Kumustaka,

I was able to call Thailand for a little over 2 cents a minute on a calling card and was wondering if there's anything comparable to call mobile phones in Philippines? An online search arranged by cheapest/minute was something over 8 cents/minute.

Any recommendations of reputable companies at cheapest rates? Salamat in advance for any suggestions/links.

Michael

Texas

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

From where will you be calling from? also of what I have read on some US calling cards, it is a "rip off". WHY BUBBA?

that on 1 card i read that it charges 1 min connection "fee" and 2 min minimum.

point I am trying to make IS READ THE SMALL PRINT.

maybe if you really want to save calling your "loved one" is to get a PLDT wireless sim. that would be like calling a landline BUT..

its a like a CELL number.( i will open a topic on PLDT wireless sim shortly)

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Have you tried calling from your computer or smart phone using Skype, Voipcheap or similar?

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

Have you tried calling from your computer or smart phone using Skype, Voipcheap or similar?

Echoing Curley computer to computer Skype and Yahoo calls are free .. but the quality sometimes sucks (but it is free).
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Echoing Curley computer to computer Skype and Yahoo calls are free .. but the quality sometimes sucks (but it is free).

I have done Yahoo Messenger video calls using my android Galaxy SII smartphone connected via wi-fi at home. Of course this requires a good network connection on the other end in the Philippines. My girlfriends trust in me went up a great deal after I was able to give her a video tour of my home. She doesn't have network access at home right now so I call her once in a while using Skype to her cell phone which as I recall costs $0.17 USD/minute. Here is a link to Skype's rates for the Philippines from the US: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/prices/payg-rates/#cc=PH

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.phonecardscentral.com/ is where I got cards when I used to call to the Philippines. I stopped using them because the call quality was even WORSE than Skype and Yahoo voice calls. That may have been the service in Philippines??? But it seemed like the whole system from me to her was poor. She was using Sun.

WE found that using Skype for VIDEO only and using Yahoo Messenger for VOICE worked pretty good if you have a computer on both ends... Sometimes the video would work and no audio, but seeing each other made it easier to type. :dance:

On the cards.... I got the one with NO connect fee and rounding to the minute (because of all the disconnects) I don't remember the rate, but a $20 card cost $18 normally if you look for a discount code. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Edited by GregZ

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am going to guess that it will be the same in most countries as it is in Canada - what I did here was go to where most of the people here lived... Filipino neighbourhood, Taiwanese neighbourhood, depending on where I wanted to call... Since I live in the downtown core of my city, it is already pretty expansive ethnic-wise... Looked for a local convenience store that sells cards and ask what the popular cards were to call that country - and then have them explain the difference between the 2 or 3 most popular cards. My former GF from Taiwan found one that she could call home on for 3 cents a minute and no connect fee by doing always asking when we bought the cards. You never know but you may find not just a good one for the Philippines this way but a great one too!

:tiphat:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Brad616
Posted
Posted

Bizon was always the best most reliable for me - havent used it for awhile as the wife has some nagging service called OWTWEL or something like that. It is in her hands now :attention:

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I bought a magic jack and got a number for it in my city and sent it to the Philippines. When I call there its free and the quality is excellent, You can call the Philippines or the Philippines can call you free. I also downloaded the app for my cell phone and its tied to the magic jack so I can use my cell phone to call the Philippines or she can call my cell phone. Their has been a big improvement in the quality of the calls in the last 6 months with the magic jack. If I miss a call I get an email with the message that the caller left. I use to get those calling cards but found the quality and connection was a hit or miss.

• Like 2

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I use a Windows program from Rebtel mostly for texting as their rates are pretty good. They also include a link at the bottom of the message so your GF can reply at your cost in a wifi zone. That way she doesn't have to use her load. For the rest of the time its skype. Oovoo is another program like skype that probably has less internet congestion. I've heard Viber is a good android application for chatting.

I don't have an android phone as it will only attract attention in RP so I'm sticking to my old faithful telstra country phone that should be as good as new with a new battery :dance: .

• Like 2