Makati On $1000?

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Hey! So i'm coming to the philippines in a couple weeks. I'm 23 and only know a few people in Manila. I only need a tiny place but security is the most important. I know Makati is about as expensive as it gets but can i afford to live in such a place on 1000 a month?

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Actually its probably more like 1200, and I dont want to live like a king, just a student in another country. The luxury of a reasonable condo will be 80% about security. The remainder of my spendings will be frugal.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey! So i'm coming to the philippines in a couple weeks. I'm 23 and only know a few people in Manila. I only need a tiny place but security is the most important. I know Makati is about as expensive as it gets but can i afford to live in such a place on 1000 a month?

Hello Mathew,

You're a university student and only 23?? If you ever decide to donate some blood, hook me up, OK?

I believe you're the youngest stud on the forum and I (we) need some of that young blood to kick start

our juices again.....he, he.

Regarding your question about condos in Makati......perhaps you should elicit some of your friends in

Makati to do the leg work for you. Just pick out the top 3 places your friends recommended to you. I

would not venture no more than that. Going to 3 different locations in heavy and polluted traffic during

typhoon season is bad enough. Believe me.......

Welcome aboard young man -- respectfully, Jake (half century plus 12 yrs old)

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Well i'm actually gay... so, in Australia at least, i'm not allowed to donate blood... :'( I didnt know this when i went to donate so it was quite embarressing. I'm a registered organ donor so at least thats something.

Thanks for the welcome Jake! I'm really looking forward to it.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well i'm actually gay... so, in Australia at least, i'm not allowed to donate blood... :'( I didnt know this when i went to donate so it was quite embarressing. I'm a registered organ donor so at least thats something.

Thanks for the welcome Jake! I'm really looking forward to it.

No problem sir.....we welcome your spirit of adventure and tenacity.

• Like 1

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Awww ^.^ Thanks Jake! You're awesome. :lol:

• Like 1

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

how long do you plan on staying in makati ??? coz that will also have an effect on your budget makati & manila its self can be more expensive then in the provinces , i read that your gay there's a great gay scene in malate allot of bars around and from what i know a nice hotel called Rainbow Pacific Suites Hotel on adriatico st and a great little grill across the street from the hotel called ERRA's Grill that allot of locals and backpackers hang out in i was there great little grill !! and cheap san miguels i think just 30 pesos last time i was there !! there are a few backpacker hostels in the area too !! plus your fairly close to rizal park intramuros bay walk MALL OF ASIA anyway hes a website i just found now i cant vouch for any of them coz i never stayed in any of them !! hope it helps you out some ?

http://www.backpackers-planet.com/backpackers-hostels-Manila-City-0002483.html

the hotel i usually stay in is also in a great location at the corner of edsa and taff ave right on the mrt & lrt lines half way between makati and malate they have various types of rooms from dorm style to regular with air con and ref ! and they have airport pick up too which is great !! plus you get breakfast and lunch included as well be it smaller proportions LOL

heres the link for them !!!

http://www.kabayanhotel.com.ph/pasay.php

again hope this helps you out ???

O-U-C :thumbsup: Welcome to the Forum and The Philippines :)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

4,000 Peso a week could be difficult in Makati. Is there a way you could delay your visit and save up a bit more?

franknyc
Posted
Posted

Hi Matthew! $1,000/month should not be a problem IF you wish to live the life of a student. I lived in the Philippines right out of college (Quezon City) about 20+ years ago and was doing OK on approx. P10,000 month. At your age, Filipinos are a lot more forgiving, i.e. they won't expect you to pay for everyone, etc. Rent in Makati for a decent studio will run you about P18-20K a month; if you wish to save money, you can live in a dorm. You can check-out pinoyexchange.com under the academe section. If you are going to Ateneo or La Salle universities, you will be fine; those are the good schools and friends you make in those schools will be trustworthy and you should have no problems with regard to your safety. The same goes for the "pricey" trade schools like culinary and photography institutes.

My only other advice would be to live near school. Traffic can be a problem and you might want to consider being as close to school as possible. Granted, I'm older than you and as such my expenses will be more, but as a student, with no car, I would estimate your expenses to be:

Rent/utilities P22K

Food* P15K

misc.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Makati or Manila in general is not a cheap place to live .... you can live there cheaply but you almost have to live like the locals do and that includes where they do ..... my sister-in-law rents a very small 1 bedroom apartment for 2700p per month but it ain't pretty ..... you'll need to get used to traveling by jeepney as taxi's can be a hit or miss as far as when you need one .... and they will try and rip you off especially as you are a foreigner ..... but you are young so walking or the jeepney won't be bad for you at all and they are cheap ..... as been said on here time and time again it is very hard to tell someone about the cost of living in an area as we don't know HOW you like to live and what it will take for you to just get by if that is what you decide ..... for what you have to spend you can do fairly well in a lot of other areas in the Philippines but in Makati it could be a turkey shoot (hit or miss) ..... IMHO .... :cheersty: