Eating Salads Manila

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Hi all

Hope this is the right place for this post. I'll be in Manila for a number of weeks as a trainer. I love eating salads. The travel advisories say to avoid uncooked food (vegetables etc ) as they may have been rinsed in local water which may be contaminated. I would imagine in the malls like Greenbelt etc precautions are taken and it is perfectly ok to eat salads. Am I right ?

make sure you have your shots updated, AT LEAST the HEPA ©? there is a previous topic on Vaccinations in the health section of the forum, perhaps take a look at this.

Enjoy your visit

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
Finding a salad in philippines was a mission! :angry:

7/11 now has a Salad,(at least in NCR metro manila& laguna areas)

its a simple one w/dressing and another (jello&a pasta included) i have tried it in the past 2 months & I have enjoyed it as before there was NONE available (if you dont include Wendys)

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Grow your own? It may sound crazy but not impossible, I take a grow jar and seeds with me and grow my own alfalfa sprouts, they're ready in 5 days and one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Even on a balcony you can grow tomatoes, radishes and lettuce in very little space.

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

Matthew23
Posted
Posted

Oh ok cool thanks. I seriously didn't see the salads in the 7/11s i was frequenting but maybe i just wasn't looking too hard. Usually it was in the morning stumbling in for a coffee blurry eyed and hung over. >_<

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I seriously didn't see the salads in the 7/11s

look where the sandwich are located, NOT all 7/11 have them

frommelbourne
Posted
Posted

Thanks all

Also thanks to the person who suggested I update my shots too. The one thing im not immunized for is hep a which i will get this Friday. Though as its one day before I leave lol I don't think I'll have immunity for a few weeks. Will have to check with doc and be very restrictive with eating initially.

• Like 1

banyanman
Posted
Posted

Maybe if I take it from a different angle and ask if there are places that people have gone to frequently and they never had any adverse reactions to cold served food/side salads etc and from all observations everything was clean and hygiene conscious ? And of course the food was good too. Thanks

I've been eating the salads at Italiannies every week for the past two years and never had any problems. The one at Greenbelt is good because it is a large branch, always busy, and the big turnover of customers means the salads are always fresh. At some of the smaller branches in other parts of the city, I've sometimes found the lettuce going brown (perhaps they've cut it too early in the day or not stored it correctly) but it's never caused any stomach problems.

banyanman
Posted
Posted (edited)

By the way, friends in Manila are raving about a vegetarian restaurant in Tagaytay, about one hour from Makati. They grow the vegetables and herbs in their backyard for the restaurant. My friends won't give me the name because I may decide to go on my own. They prefer to take me.

Sounds like your friends may be planning to take you to Sonya's Garden, JJ. Their salads are excellent and I would highly recommend them as a lunch destination to any other board members heading to Tagaytay. They have a website, so just google the name. If it is not Sonya's Garden that your friends are raving about, please let me know where it is when you find out as I am always on the lookout for other vegetarian restaurants (I'm not 100% vegetarian but I do like vegetarian food).

Edited by banyanman
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
chachime
Posted
Posted

I believe salads which are sell all over the Philippines are safe to eat. We have the best food!

Julia
Posted
Posted (edited)