And Yet Another Foreigner Gets Arrested

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I believe that was my comment, but never mind Lee! Yes, there was a sizeable PNP presence outside the "Egypt" and "Bounty" bars - I counted 7 uniformed officers standing around plus others waiting in two SUVs as we arrived and entered "Egypt". However, they were highly amused upon seeing Paul and were joking with us. There were further under-cover officers inside "Egypt" sitting at the bar and at a table near the door. I was talking with one of the girls there and she told me the place is often raided but when that happens, some of the girls manage to escape to the "Bounty" next door as the two bars are joined at the second floor level and share a common dressing room. However, it was much quieter in those two bars than others we visited that night.
Sorry Mark, my bad! :AddEmoticons04230: for the correction. :rolleyes:

Markham
Posted
Posted
I'm glad to see the bar raided. I wish it was part of an overall plan to eliminate the bikini bars and sex trade that the Philippines is reknowned for, but I suspect this is an isolated case. In any event, the bar owners and managers should be treated very harshly for having underage girls working for them.
I am not a moralist and could care less about what two consenting adults do in private but I do tend to agree with you on this, it's a worthy aspiration but unlikely to come to pass. The current regime of more or less unregulated Bikini Bars does attract the wrong kind of visitor and gives the country a bad reputation.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Since moving to Cebu, it has amazed me that there are so many bikini bars around and so many girls working in them...... For a religious country that seems to lean toward purity and wholeness, there has obviously been a strong change in values that have come about since I first started coming here......... While I do not condone illegal behavior, I do feel that prostitution should be legal in all countries because I believe it would cut down on sex crimes committed by people who cannot get or do not know how to get sex otherwise.Just remember that if there was no place for the sexpats to get sex, there would be a lot more of them praying on innocent ladies and that would probably only turn more no longer innocent ladies into scammers, once they have been burned and have nothing to lose. Lets face it, sex has its place in society or there would not be so many bikini bars in the first place.Also, worth mentioning here, I have on occasion seen some of the ladies from some of those bikini bars dressed rather conservatively and walking around the malls with foreigners who may not even know what the ladies they may have picked up in the mall, do for a nighttime living. Then again, maybe they do. :AddEmoticons04230:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Markham
Posted
Posted
Also, worth mentioning here, I have on occasion seen some of the ladies from some of those bikini bars dressed rather conservatively and walking around the malls with foreigners who may not even know what the ladies they may have picked up in the mall, do for a nighttime living. Then again, maybe they do. :AddEmoticons04230:
It seems to me, Lee, that if you recognize girls from bars in the Malls then you're spending rather longer in said establishments than you'd care to admit to!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
You know this is funny in a way ...... just last night on the local news a girl is bringing charges against two young Filipino men of grabbing her by her wrists .... and why did they grab her you ask ....... because she turned violent after the 2 guys refused to pay her the agreed amount for her services preformed ....... all this while in the presents of her live in boy friend ...... but it should be noted that she calmed down after the amount was paid ....... but still had the guys arrested ..... So at what point does it become illegal for a Filipina to be charged with prostitution ...... even after admitting what she had done they were booking the guys ...... so why were these women being rescued and the club owner and manager being arrested ...... must be that you can be arrested in one scenario but not another ......
Well, based on the two scenarios I'd say the point is reached when there are underaged girls involved and the prostitution is supported and facilitated by a third party that profits from the prostitution. It doesn't help that one of the pimps in this case was a foreigner.I'm glad to see the bar raided. I wish it was part of an overall plan to eliminate the bikini bars and sex trade that the Philippines is reknowned for, but I suspect this is an isolated case. In any event, the bar owners and managers should be treated very harshly for having underage girls working for them.
That article didn't say anything about any of them being underaged. Did you see another article that mentioned that? If that is so why didn't they raid all the bars instead of just this one.
Sorry but from the same article,top line11 girls rescued in resto bar raid Updated March 26, 2009 12:00 AM CEBU, Philippines

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

The situation is clear and simple. If you opperate a bar you have to pay the police. Over recent months prices are going up and some are resisting, ie Stripes.Whilst not using the services myself, having had a number of visits to various bars over the last few weeks on stag duties etc, rates have clearly gone through the roof. Filopino officials are voracious and like to feed off the easy money and western punters fall into that bracket.Soon it will be only Koreans paying and take will go down so they will want even more to make up the lsot revenue and a downward spiral will occur as it has before. That's life.It is happening in the visa business as well and people are just stopping to do it as they can't trust the officials. Shabu has nothing on the addiction to free money the officials have here.