Solar Panels

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

No we're not shipping from Nova Scotia, we have a contact here in Toronto who will supply us with the product and we will either ship the roll-ups or bring them with us. The roll-ups will gather solar energy even on cloudy days. Does anyone know if the appropriate storage batteries are available in the Philippines, and the cost?

MacBubba

Thomas
Posted
Posted

You should have no problem with getting sufficient light apart from periods of prolonged heavy cloud, panels still produce some power even in cloudy conditions. Getting them connected is no problem, you should provide a "dump" to prevent any overload. Good quality "leisure" batteries are essential.... car batteries are not recommended although they will work for a time. The type of inverter you choose is important. There are many small wind turbines sold to the marine industry and I have a contact in Thailand who manufactures slightly larger wind turbines and he has been asking me to handle the Philippines for him..... not sure that I want to....supposed to be retired! Also he has a backlog of orders in his factory

Yes, some get through clouds too, but do anyone know (rough) how much lower the output is during the rainy season? I suppose it's then it's most needed :)

I'm "collecting" business ideas what to work with after move, perhaps I can want to :) (But I like production better than selling, plus these would be a not suiting customer group to some other products I think of IF trade.)

No we're not shipping from Nova Scotia, we have a contact here in Toronto who will supply us with the product and we will either ship the roll-ups or bring them with us. The roll-ups will gather solar energy even on cloudy days. Does anyone know if the appropriate storage batteries are available in the Philippines, and the cost?

MacBubba

Bad explained by me. I ment shiping - probably chinese :) - from Canada, instead of from China.

What type of batteries are appropriate for such?

Curley
Posted
Posted
What type of batteries are appropriate for such?

As I already said....LEISURE batteries also known as deep cycle batteries.... just do a Google search and you will find plenty.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
we have a contact here in Toronto who will supply us with the product and we will either ship the roll-ups or bring them with us.

The cost to purchase Solar products is dropping here almost by the week. It might be to your advantage to wait until just before you need to ship them. And be careful of the quality of the ones you get - there are some pretty poor ones coming in from China that won't light a flashlight! They are usually easy to identify because they are damaged just through handling and are extremely thin. I even saw one that from a distance looked like you could make out the circuitry inside... Great for ensuring optimal usage of the sun - if it wasn't for the fact that this was just printed on the surface rather than actual circuitry.... !

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

The problem with solar energy is the batteries by the time you pay for all the equipment to get up and running and realize a positive cash flow its time to replace the deep cycle batteries . After much research on the idea i personally don,t see any savings in the long term because of all the cash you have to lay out in the beginning . Also solar really doesn,t run big power items for any amount of time Love the idea but impractical still

the next idea i,m researching is using pig poop to make buyer gas and run a generator on the gas or if your lucky and have running water close buy there are many ways to create power from that .

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Batteries to store your solar energy are expensive and inefficient. What they are now doing in the United States and other countries is storing in the power grid the solar energy produced by individual homes. You then take back what's needed in a computerized system of credit/debit. Somewhere as part of the mix is a government incentive program. If you consume more than what is produced, you pay the difference.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

It sounds more and more like solar panels would not be too practical. We like to keep cool, so we were concerned about aircon electrical consumption costs. Maybe we'll invest in marble flooring and maybe even walls to cool off the house instead.

MacBubba

Curley
Posted
Posted

The problem with solar energy is the batteries by the time you pay for all the equipment to get up and running and realize a positive cash flow its time to replace the deep cycle batteries . After much research on the idea i personally don,t see any savings in the long term because of all the cash you have to lay out in the beginning . Also solar really doesn,t run big power items for any amount of time Love the idea but impractical still

the next idea i,m researching is using pig poop to make buyer gas and run a generator on the gas or if your lucky and have running water close buy there are many ways to create power from that .

You are quite right, solar is only a solution if you have no access to the main grid. Pig poop? yes, there are several farms in the UK doing that and using it for heating................... you could even use it for cooling!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You are quite right, solar is only a solution if you have no access to the main grid. Pig poop? yes, there are several farms in the UK doing that and using it for heating................... you could even use it for cooling!

I saw a television story about a dairy farm in Wisconsin where the floors are slightly incline and the poop is washed into holding tanks. The methane gas is sufficient to generate the electrical requirements for their buildings. Does anyone have a name in the Philippines that sells generators that run on methane? If your farm location is far from the power grid, the recommendation is three power sources: solar, wind and gas.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Need power? How about a bicycle type of generator feeding into deep cycle batteries? Modify exercise cycles to power generators and pay local labourers to power them, payment could be done on a per Kw produced basis to ensure no slacking. With the level of unemployment and low salaries in the Phils this could be viable. Imagine the local youngsters being able to earn a few pesos for a couple of hours of "fun" after school..........

Edit.... just did a little research on the net.......Pedal-A-Watt. It converts your bicycle into a stationary bike and uses your pedal power to generate energy that can be stored in a power pack. An average rider can produce up to 200 watts – ride for an hour and you'll generate enough to power a 25 watt fluorescent light bulb for eight hours.

In the Phils, what's the price per Kw of electricity from the grid?

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1