Solar Panels

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The other thing to look into regardless of whether the power source is solar, wind, hydro or a combination is using DC powered electrical items where possible. You lose a great deal of power converting the DC to AC. So if you really want to be off grid, you really need to focus on using low power DC lights, appliances, etc and minimize the electrical gear that uses AC. You might try this search for more info:

You know, I never thought of mentioning it! Yes, everything should be running on 12 volts! If you look at most ELECTRONIC equipment in your house, you will see that inside the item, the 110/220v is converted to DC. You will have to run a tap into the proper points on the rectifier so that you won't notice any difference in operation. If you have a refrigerator, it is better to have a propane powered one. But the rest of the stuff? Toaster? Washing machine? Coffee Maker? Ok, some of these you can get ones that work on your stove. For the rest? Power inverters are still not the cheapest so the smaller one you can use, the less it will cost. It sounds difficult but for most things you own, this will usually mean moving one wire inside the unit (ie- TV). You could probably hire some guy working in a decent appliance / tv repair shop to come out and do it all in one afternoon. How do you spell that? T.a.n.g.u.a.y... Hmmm.... Easiest way to look at it? It's the same as furnishing a motor home or RV with all the toys except they are going into your house!

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Well, this has certainly given us plenty to ponder! Oh to have paid a little more attention in my high school days of electrical study!! Who woulda thunk?

• Like 1