Crba, Newborn Boi Fees Upon Leaving The Philippines

United Army
Posted
Posted

I ran across this on another chat board:

Note: If your child is in the PI with only CRBA/US passport, you need to make sure you get your child his/her PI passport if you do not your looking at costly fees from the BI (Philippine Bureau of Immigration) exit permit and or late fees, when the child exits the Philippines. One plus is with both US and PI passport your child will have Dual Citizenship, with out hassle of paper work/fees down the road.

Does this mean that if you leave the Philippines with your newborn child who just has a US Passport, he or she will have to pay BOI fees, ect.

Has anyone heard of this before?

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I haven't heard of it, but it makes sense to me.

If you're married to a Filipino citizen, why wouldn't you get your child their FIlipino passport? My child was recently born in the US, but we are getting her both US and Filipino passports. It just seemed like the right thing to do to respect her heritage.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

This is common and pretty well normal. My daughter was born in Germany... If I wasn't there on military duty and we hadn't flown out of a military base, I was told that we would have needed to get her a German passport. (Actually we were suppose to) It seems the exception in most countries is if both parents are in-country on a visitor's visa when the baby is born. But there are a whole other list of things you need to do in this case.

One thing to note - it usually isn't written down anywhere firm but countries will go by the idea that if you are born there, you are a citizen there - and thus you will need to pay for the passport and other fun things. And don't forget they are liable for military service in these countries - unless they denounce that citizenship legally. Yes, my daughters got her papers to report for the German military.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

When I passed thru immigration while entering the Philippines with two children I presented Philippino passports for the children. The immigration officer asked to see their US passports and that is what was used as an entry document.

I don't know if there are members who experienced a departure with children in a similar situation. That is, entering with the US passport and then leaving with the same. For myself, I intend to be sure they each have up to date Philippino passports with them as they depart.

The Philippines uses jus sanguinis as their way of determining citizenship. That made it fairly easy to get citizenship established by a consulate, in my case in both Korea and in the US. A few hassles with waiting in line and documents, but otherwise a simple process. It was actually more difficult to get my wife's maiden name changed to a married name.

My son was born pre-2000 and met the German requirement (and obligations) though we had no problem exiting Germany with a US passport only. Some European countries changed rules a while back in an effort to get a handle on immigration concerns.

I did need to renew my passport a while back and made sure I went to get the visa transferred into my current passport.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

The Philippines uses jus sanguinis as their way of determining citizenship.

here is a previous topic regarding " Jus Sanguinis"

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

In November of 2011 my wife and son {both dual citizens} presented both passports on entry at NAIA and both were stamped. When we left

they again presented both but only the American passport was stamped.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

For the benefit of those members who need to use the NSO, I am extending kudos to the NSO today. May change my opinion tomorrow, but for now, I am pleasantly surprised at their helpfulness.

They have a website which is fairly informative. At the website they have a link to a system where you can order NSO documents online using credit card or bank payment. For in-country service it is 315 pesos for a birth certificate.

What got me completely stunned was their response to an email. Out of 100 emails I have sent to various agencies and businesses here, I get probably less than 30 responses and of those maybe ten which are helpful. But it doesn't stop me from trying.

I had a simple query. Can I know in advance if they have a specific document on file? Made little sense to pay the fee only to discover they had no record. I got a response right away, a few hours later. Amazing!

By the way, I asked the question on a Sunday afternoon and it was that evening when the reply came!

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I'll wait and see if it was a fluke.

• Like 2

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

I have used the NSO - eCensus website from here in California USA twice - both times with excellent and satisfying results.

As many can probably shake their head to in affirmation - my wife's original birth certificate was in sad sad sad shape.

You know - just the act of unfolding it was a roll of the dice...

I requested a new copy via their online site, paid the fees with my CC and then found the results in my mailbox a few weeks later.

Of course, as with all things PI, your mileage may vary..

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I tried to do some online research regarding the OP's question.... And there really is no factual information that I can find. BUT! And this is a big but that only by expressly asking the BOI these questions will result in an actual true answer - it does appear that any newborn in the Philippines, regardless of if one parent is an expat or not, is considered a citizen of the Philippines. Thus a PI passport would be a requirement for the newborn to leave the country. And then another thus of course - the appropriate fees for a Philippine citizen would be required.

MikeeW
Posted
Posted

An update in the NSO request I made for info. They came thru and sent me a notice by email about the birth records of my children. The process worked. The consulates in Korea and the US, respectively, did send the report of birth to the NSO when the children were born. The system worked.

I was surprised to read that any child born here would automatically have citizenship even if born of an expat. That helps me to understand why the airlines are so cautious about letting pregnant passengers fly, especially to other countries. Can you imagine the confusion if the child were born in flight? If the plane landed in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai or elsewhere and then continued on to some final destination? Pretty cool for the child to have all these citizenships and passports. Wait, maybe it makes a difference if the country is in ASEAN.

I love the idea that Angkea Merkel or Hillary Clinton could have a baby here with dual nationalities. Pretty cool. I always thought the laws pertaining to nationality were complex.

• Like 1