Wind Generated Power - Is It Feasible In The Philippines?

Curley
Posted
Posted

Commercial vehicles always used to use a 24V electrical system, I assume they still do so they could be the source of a genny for the wind power.

• Like 3

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Hmm... Maybe we should form our own company?

Would this fall under the rules for 100% foreign ownership when selling high-end items?

:mocking:

(Actually, this just might be one of those business that is excepted... hehe!)

Yahoooooo...I was thinking the same thing eariler today...maybe this is something we could put together and finance our "Live like a King" lifestyles we are all working towards!

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

Great topic ibemarshall and lots of good follow up. This is something that might work for me. I like

the idea of a bamboo tower and the use of vw and wooden parts. The cost of the forklift batteries

I use in my solar system was $1800.00 each. Costly, yes, but they have been in use for 6 years

now and show no signs of weakness. Included in the cost were steel boxes for each battery. They

certainly will not "grow legs" as I had to use the backhoe to put them in place. Also, I believe you are

limited to 12 volts with the deep cycle batteries. My system is 24 volt giving a much greater power source

and longer periods of use before recharging is necessary. This is where the use of a wind turbine could

play a very useful role charging the batteries over night and perhaps reducing the need for two batteries

in the forklift senario and cut down the need for so many deep cycle batteries in the 12 volt system.

Most people I know with the 12 volt system use multiple batteries wired in a series and they only last

a few years.

Excellent information about 12 versus 24 volts and the options/pros/cons both types provide.

Sounds like you have your current system secured right nicely up there Mike...tell me do you have the "poison oak anti-theft secondary protection system" in use as well? :hystery:

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted
Hmm... Maybe we should form our own company?

Great idea Bob. Perhaps we could start by pooling our resourses and building a sales model at my place..... hehe!

You have Bamboo growing up there? :attention:

We are onto something I am sure of it!

• Like 1

ibemarshall
Posted
Posted

***Preparing the ebook now*** :1 (172):

• Like 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Yes ibemarshall, we certainly have plenty of poison oak at my place up here and

plenty of bamboo at my place in the philippines.

I really like the idea of being energy independent, especially in the Philippines where

power is intermitant and cost are high. When I am there this winter I intend to check

a number of things to determine if the ideas mentioned here will work at my place. The

big things of course is do I have enough wind and if the cost will fit my budget. I might

have to go all solar if I don't have suffcient wind. In either case I will probably start with

a small generator assisted system and add to it as my budget will allow. Since for now

I am only there a few months each year I don't see the wisdom in spending a lot of money

for a system that will get limited use.

Where in the Philippines do you plan to spend your time?

• Like 2

Curley
Posted
Posted

Alternative generating systems are not going to save you money over using the grid, however if you have no access to the grid a mixture of systems is best. It's surprising how little wind is needed and also how different the wind speed can be at ground level compared to say 20 ft above ground level.

• Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Curley,

I agree that initial savings will not be recognized. The big thing for me is continuity of

a power supply. Our place is about 1/2 drive outside the city in what I consider a rural

area. As such we often have power outages lasting for days and on rare occasions up

to a week. I currently have a generator which I depend on for these outages. Fuel and

upkeep for the generator gets expensive.

I don't know the exact elevation, but my place looks down on the city and I am hopeful

that I will have sufficient wind to operate a wind turbine.

Here in the U.S. my ranch is off the grid so my savings have been substantial.

It sounds as if you are quite knowledgeable in this area, so keep on posting as I am learning

a great deal.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes ibemarshall, we certainly have plenty of poison oak at my place up here and

plenty of bamboo at my place in the philippines.

I really like the idea of being energy independent, especially in the Philippines where

power is intermitant and cost are high. When I am there this winter I intend to check

a number of things to determine if the ideas mentioned here will work at my place. The

big things of course is do I have enough wind and if the cost will fit my budget. I might

have to go all solar if I don't have suffcient wind. In either case I will probably start with

a small generator assisted system and add to it as my budget will allow. Since for now

I am only there a few months each year I don't see the wisdom in spending a lot of money

for a system that will get limited use.

Where in the Philippines do you plan to spend your time?

I could just imagine Mike living in deep forest of northern California being off the grid and butt @ss naked!

Hell, even BigFoot considers Mike a rare breed......he, he.

You would think that the people and govt would take advantage of all the other natural resources available

in the Philippines such as geothermal, hydroelectric, solar and wind. It would also be nice if a nation wide

conservation program was embedded in the hearts and minds of the people. Wishful thinking I guess......

Having a large solar array panel structure or a tall windmill built within your property may invite unauthorized

connections or you become a victim of stolen property. Unless of course you reside in a compound patrolled

by armed guards 7/24.....he, he.

I was thinking about another alternative of powering your home. Perhaps someone could provide first hand

experience on portable wind generators. You know, the ones found on boats or mobile homes:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=Wind Turbine At less than $500, you could quickly dismount it while away from

your home. At least you could constantly recharge your batteries that power your appliances --measures

15 x 9 x 27 inches (WxHxD).

By the way, here is the Windmills of Northwind Bangui Bay Project in northern Luzon. They have their chit

together up there:post-686-0-38281700-1349976928_thumb.jpg

Respectfully, cousin of Big Foot -- Smelly Foot Jake

Edited by Jake
spill chek
  • Like 2

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
I could just imagine Mike living in deep forest of northern California being off the grid and butt @ss naked! Hell, even BigFoot considers Mike a rare breed......he, he.

And believe me, when I'm butt @as naked that will scare even BIGFOOT off....... hehe !!!!!!

• Like 2