Wind Generated Power - Is It Feasible In The Philippines?

Curley
Posted
Posted
http://www.amazon.co...ds=Wind Turbine At less than $500, you could quickly dismount it while away from your home. At least you could constantly recharge your batteries that power your appliances --measures 15 x 9 x 27 inches (WxHxD).

That one gives a MAX output of 400W It will not do very much good but better than nothing and bear in mind you still need batteries to store the power. Two of my bicycle chargers would give the same output.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
By the way, here is the Windmills of Northwind Bangui Bay Project in northern Luzon.

Those things cost several tens of thousands each..... maybe there is a government subsidy available?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

How about something a little in between those 2 examples... !

For those unaware, the nice big (huge?) fan blades are great as, once they start to turn, a gentle puff of breeze will continue their turning unabated. For home use, as long as the collar the blades fit on will turn easily, a blade stroke of 3 feet is usually more than sufficient. If you have the room or don't care if somebody sees it, you can lengthen the blades to make them more efficient - or simply just putting a sliding weight on the tips of a few grams will do the same thing. The reason a 3 foot stroke is usually employed is that many people make their own. They have to be extremely light weight, move easily with air flow and be not affected by weather too much. The blades are often carved out of Balsa wood purchased at Craft Supply stores. Usually the best thickness comes in a maximum length of 18 inches. Simple math - 2 x 18" = 3 feet. And, yes, I did not allow for the collar to mount the blades but then you also don't get the full 18" of Balsa either...

:mocking:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

If someone had access to a sculptor to make clay propellers of a good length we could then make some fibreglass molds and start to make some serious blades. Lightweight, strong, long lasting and the correct shape.

Really serious? Carbon fibre!

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1

Beachboy
Posted
Posted (edited)
You have Bamboo growing up there?

Find your wood carving knife .. Blade Design Help Program: http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/blade_design_help.htm

:cheersty:

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

there is a website that gives lots of interesting stuff on building your own solar and wind power generators just google

Jake
Posted
Posted

there is a website that gives lots of interesting stuff on building your own solar and wind power generators just google .power4home.

Thank you Curley for your inputs on wind generators. You know, NorthCal Mike and I had a good long

phone conversation about this topic. I've learned a lot from him such as the difference between forklift

and deep cycle batteries. I'm beginning to have some serious thought about this system installed in my

home. Actually small and portable wind generation is already being applied in live-aboard boats and

mobile homes.

During the many and unpredictable blackouts throughout the Philippines, it would be nice if I could just

have 4 hours of battery power to run a couple fans and small refrigerator. I just need perhaps a total

of 5000 watt max to run my bare essentials during a blackout.

At this point, it's still a toss up between a portable wind mill system or an electrical generator. Any pros

and cons between the two?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
it would be nice if I could just have 4 hours of battery power to run a couple fans and small refrigerator.

Are you sure thats enough, Jake? Plan for 12 hour outages and you will be more satisfied. The 4 hour outages don't even get me in a sweat any more.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

there is a website that gives lots of interesting stuff on building your own solar and wind power generators just google .power4home.

Thank you Curley for your inputs on wind generators. You know, NorthCal Mike and I had a good long

phone conversation about this topic. I've learned a lot from him such as the difference between forklift

and deep cycle batteries. I'm beginning to have some serious thought about this system installed in my

home. Actually small and portable wind generation is already being applied in live-aboard boats and

mobile homes.

During the many and unpredictable blackouts throughout the Philippines, it would be nice if I could just

have 4 hours of battery power to run a couple fans and small refrigerator. I just need perhaps a total

At this point, it's still a toss up between a portable wind mill system or an electrical generator. Any pros

I was looking at a 600 watt system that they say will give you 5 hours at 3000 watts for every hour of charging. Of course they also say you need a "large bank of batteries"and so on. I think I would rather go with a larger capacity wind gennie, stick an inverter and filter on it and go from there - but only if I am somewhere that has sufficient wind all the time. Either that or go with a solar/wind combined system.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

mobile homes.

A portable genny needs to be fairly large and therefore expensive to run because a refrigerator running a normal compressor takes a big whack of power when it switches in unless you have (very unlikely) a soft start motor. If you're only talking 4 hours then just restrict opening the door during that 4 hours. If you are looking at "survival mood" for 4 hours then another option is to install some low usage emergency lighting that comes on automatically when the power goes off, they are plugged in to the mains and have a battery in each one to provide the power.

If I had frequent blackouts/brownouts I would look at solar/wind power over a genny due to the high running costs of a genny. Which is best? That depends on the situation of your house and the available wind and light. You like exercise Jake so a bicycle generator might suit you.

Have you seen my post earlier today, lots of ideas and plans that you can have for $6 with a further $47 if you like them and keep them. Asking price is $95 but if you go to leave the page without buying you get an extra discount! I would say it was worth the price of a few Sn Migoos for the chance to find out, mostly for the info on building your own solar panels.

Small and portable wind generation is already being applied in live-aboard boats and mobile homes. Wind gennys for marine use are quite expensive because they are built on a small scale due to the lack of space onboard and have to be salt water resistant

Edited by Curley
  • Like 1