Building In Bohol

miguelsp
Posted
Posted

Living in a metal box in the tropics ? for the same price prob even a little cheaper you can build with hollow blocks . There is considerable amount of work to turn a container in to a home . I have a friend who built his garage with containers and when it was all said and done he really wished he would have just built with wood or block . The only real advantage is they are secure for his garage because he cut no holes on the outside walls.

At least with a container home you can move it to a different lot if needed.

i think thats a good idea. I have been thinking in that posibiliti

HomeBox offers family living in a space no bigger than a standard freight container http://www.gizmag.co...act-home/24576/

Flat-packed Mini House takes two days to install http://www.gizmag.co...ni-house/23930/

I have had bigger garden sheds that this place! :mocking:

Well, now I am living in a big house, but It takes a lot of maintenance, lot of work and costs. If I build a home in the Phillipines I like a small place. I prefer a smaller house but invest in security and other stuff like "solar, wind or geothermal energy". With prefabricatet you can better control the costs.

I like tiny and modular http://youtu.be/lDcVrVA4bSQ

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I have looked at container housing and rice bag housing (dirt filled rice bags) ..... the container catches my eye for a number of reasons the number one is storms and earthquakes ...... plus break ins would be much much harder as all bars on windows and door could be welded to the structure .... take two 40 footers and put them side by side .... weld them together and you have a pretty nice house and add a roof over coming down about 4-5 ft. past the end of the roof and you have excellent shade plus the wind blowing between the container roof and the roof over would provide relief from the heat ..... problem is is getting decent containers ..... most containers here in the Phils are used to death and used again by welding or some other means to patch the holes from rust and wear ..... just have to search around and find a couple of good ones ...... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
ake two 40 footers and put them side by side .... weld them together and you have a pretty nice house

You do realize you are talking about the basic structure of a double wide mobile home? I have lived in one, even with all the modern requirements for insulation (in Canada anyway) and even with a window air conditioner, and even in Canada they are hot as hell.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
ake two 40 footers and put them side by side .... weld them together and you have a pretty nice house

You do realize you are talking about the basic structure of a double wide mobile home? I have lived in one, even with all the modern requirements for insulation (in Canada anyway) and even with a window air conditioner, and even in Canada they are hot as hell.

Most of the problem is in the roof. Most people that I know and lived in double-wides added a well insulated and ventilated peaked roof on top. Some of these were cooler without air than some air-conditioned apartments I have rented.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Thats what I have in Florida with the special roof. It has central air. Cool as h@ll. I would love to have it in the Philippines.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

so there is no such thing being sold out in the phils, ie a double wide

tiger31
Posted
Posted (edited)

there is a guy selling 40 foot containers for 92000 pesos in cebu he has 54 of them for sale Edited by tiger31

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There where some links in an other topic (I believe about renting out). I don't remember if it exccist in Phili, or if it just was information from a abroad producer, but there where prefabricated container house, which can be connected to big houses even several floor levels.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Well one thing they would not stand up to all the wicked storms here

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Well one thing they would not stand up to all the wicked storms here

But container homes can be very strong. E g there are constructions with steel frames strong enough to put at least 3 on top of each other,

(I have no very hard storms where I live, but the flat roof is strong enough to walk on for grown up men, and it have had over 200 kg snow per sq meter on whole of it without breaking. The bigest problem is big temperature switches between minus 30 C and plus 35 C (in sun) which make material change size making some leaking in the connections, so I need to put on some new sealent in two places each year.)

• Like 1