Filipina's Time Clock

bows00
Posted
Posted

It is only natural. The pressures placed on a young woman to find a husband with the ultimate goal of conceiving a child...

Now here in the US, we have evolved into a society where the majority of woman work. And with the advancements made in medical technologies and with many women holding prestigious positions in their careers, they can elect to wait on settling down, let alone start a new family. Thus, it is not uncommon to see women getting married and bearing children well into their forties. So in general, it is my opinion that it is the society and culture that decides WHEN a girl starts feeling these pressures.

So my question is this... for all you expats out there that have experienced the Filipino culture/society first hand, what is your opinion on the age at which a typical Filipina starts feeling these maturnal pressures? My guess is that it would have to be at a younger age than the their american counterparts, so 35? 30? 28? 22? 18?

And yes, I love the culture... and most of all, the Filipinas...

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

It is only natural. The pressures placed on a young woman to find a husband with the ultimate goal of conceiving a child...

Now here in the US, we have evolved into a society where the majority of woman work. And with the advancements made in medical technologies and with many women holding prestigious positions in their careers, they can elect to wait on settling down, let alone start a new family. Thus, it is not uncommon to see women getting married and bearing children well into their forties. So in general, it is my opinion that it is the society and culture that decides WHEN a girl starts feeling these pressures.

So my question is this... for all you expats out there that have experienced the Filipino culture/society first hand, what is your opinion on the age at which a typical Filipina starts feeling these maturnal pressures? My guess is that it would have to be at a younger age than the their american counterparts, so 35? 30? 28? 22? 18?

And yes, I love the culture... and most of all, the Filipinas...

In the RP, they are taught this almost from birth.

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

In my limited experience, yes, the culture seems to be very family-creation oriented! My GF (since May '12) started talking about it shortly after we met--she's 27. Her mom was 20 when my GF was born.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I haven't seen any statistics for the Philippines, but for Thailand it's common the poor become mothers as teenagers/around 20,

while them with higher education often start getting children around 30, when they have finnished their education and started working.

I beleive it's general in the world the higher education the later they get the first children. I have never heared of any high educated 16 year old mother :)

I believe it has some to do with clever level too :) = less unplaned children the more clever. But harder to avoid them in countries as the Philippines where the church is powerful and work against birth control (except "safe periods", which they even teach before marriages.)

I suppose the Philippine church pressure not having sex before marriage, lowering the marrying and get children age... :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I suppose the Philippine church pressure not having sex before marriage,

:no: Sorry, ​I am smirking at this, In my new Baringay, the average age of young mothers seems about 16. Husbands are not in sight for many of these girls. My niece, 18 with 2 kids, No husband, tells me, at School/College, it is, Oh she has a child, i want one. Peer pressure, seems to have a lot to do with things here, I feel. Out of a Class of 38 17/18 year olds 9, have at least one child. thank Goodness for Lola / Aunties and cousins. to get any chance of a Job they have to at least, Finish High school, but just can't seem to wait for the Studies to Finish.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I suppose the Philippine church pressure not having sex before marriage,

:no: Sorry, ​I am smirking at this, In my new Baringay, the average age of young mothers seems about 16. Husbands are not in sight for many of these girls. My niece, 18 with 2 kids, No husband, tells me, at School/College, it is, Oh she has a child, i want one. Peer pressure, seems to have a lot to do with things here, I feel. Out of a Class of 38 17/18 year olds 9, have at least one child. thank Goodness for Lola / Aunties and cousins. to get any chance of a Job they have to at least, Finish High school, but just can't seem to wait for the Studies to Finish.

Perhaps I explained bad what I ment.

Church

1. stop normal birth control methods. "Safe periods" aren't safe, just reduce pregnancy risks. So not odd more get pregnant.

2. make them, who try to follow pressure, marry earlier to be found OK to have sex.

Beachboy
Posted
Posted

The numbers are depressing -- lets hope the RH health bill passes this year.

In 2008 there were 3.4 million pregnancies, half (1.7 million) unintended. There were 560,000 known cases of abortion.

http://www.irinnews.org/Report/84021/PHILIPPINES-Illegal-abortions-the-risks-and-the-misery

Curley
Posted
Posted
at School/College, it is, Oh she has a child, i want one. Peer pressure, seems to have a lot to do with things here, I feel. Out of a Class of 38 17/18 year olds 9, have at least one child.

Maybe I should pay you a visit Jack....... don't tell them I've had a vasectomy will you :mocking:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
at School/College, it is, Oh she has a child, i want one. Peer pressure, seems to have a lot to do with things here, I feel. Out of a Class of 38 17/18 year olds 9, have at least one child.

Maybe I should pay you a visit Jack....... don't tell them I've had a vasectomy will you :mocking:

Naughty! Naughty! go sit in the corner

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Perhaps I explained bad what I ment.

Thomas! it's OK, I was not particularly Smirking at you but with you, I have always found the Ultra religious zealots, a tad hypocritical, you see, we have a few neighbours that are so high and mighty, in the church pecking order, that there is no grey area, just black and white Then low and behold, we have a dark grey area, in the proceedings. YEP you got it! One or more of the daughters, gets knocked up ( Pregnant.) of course it is always the boys fault.

i don't mean to be anti- Church, i just feel that sometimes, the church is used as an excuse, in a lot of things. Good and Bad.

• Like 1