Paradigm Shift, Moving To Philippines A Major Life Change?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have any expats who have made a permanent move to Philippines also chosen to drastically simplify their possessions and life style beforehand?

Was this something you carefully planed? Or perhaps required by necessity?

If you drastically purged much of all those “things” we seem to accumulate over the years how has that affected you?

Living a more simple life in a smaller home more comfortable now?

Any regrets or items you find you are unable to live without other than air-conditioning or a good fan?

How about diet?

I find during my visits eating more seafood and fresh fruit I’ll lose weight.

We sometimes hear of guys who retire or move to Philippines will start drinking more alcohol or take up other unhealthy activities.

This topic is not exactly new its been more or less covered in answers to other questions or topics.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I totally agree with both Dan and Mike!

During my military days - and especially all the moves afterwards - I have found that, each and every time I moved, and no matter how far or often i moved, I was opening myself up to a complete change in life style. Yes, a different scene equals a different life. So for when I move to the Philippines? Yes, I will be living a simpler life style (no more daily job searching... hehe) but I will also be attuning myself to the Philippine standards... And to do that I will be dumping just about all my previously owned trash before I go. But then I have been planning on going somewhere for quite a while so I don't really have much to get rid of! Divorce does that to a guy...!

:mocking:

• Like 5

ZambalesJeff
Posted
Posted

My wife and I have been living here in the states for 21 years now and I can't believe how much stuff we have. We've raised two kids and filled nearly every space in the house.

We plan to move back to the Philippines in about three years. We've just started to look st things "stuff" differently. First of all, if it doesn't fit in a Balikbayan box, we don't buy it. What stuff we have are getting categorized: 1. Stuff to sell 2. Stuff to give to the kids and 3. Stuff to ship in Balikbayan boxes. We are not going to ship a huge shipping container. We can sent a lot of boxes for a lot less money and like you guys, we plan to downsize.

I know three years is still a long time but hopefully it will go by quickly. We're really looking forward to our next chapter together. Kind of going full circle back to where we started.

Curley
Posted
Posted

I can't have Balikbayan boxes from here so it will be a couple of suitcases and that will be it!

• Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

I am dumping everything except for two suitcases and a backpack! Talk about an International Homeless! :hystery:

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am dumping everything except for two suitcases and a backpack! Talk about an International Homeless! :hystery:

Same here... One large suitcase to check and one carry-on for me!

:dance:

• Like 3

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Same for me, a few Balikbayan boxes and a couple of suitcases. That's one of the reasons I am still

here as much as I am. Trying to get rid of "STUFF"

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I can't have Balikbayan boxes from here so it will be a couple of suitcases and that will be it!

Why Curley?

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Why Curley?

There is no shipping agent that does them here on the Island, from mainland Spain no problem. If I pay the shipping to mainland Spain and then the Balikbayan charge no problem apart from it makes it ridiculously expensive.

• Like 3