Paradigm Shift, Moving To Philippines A Major Life Change?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Have any expats who have made a permanent move to Philippines also chosen to drastically simplify their possessions and life style beforehand?

4 BR house and 2 cars gone. 19 BB boxes and 2 suitcases left. The only reason I had that many boxes is because I have a lot of stuff I collected in my travels that I wanted to keep.

Was this something you carefully planed? Or perhaps required by necessity?

Carefully planned, with the help of everyone here!

If you drastically purged much of all those “things” we seem to accumulate over the years how has that affected you?

I finally got rid of things that I had dragged from California to Florida to Germany to Kentucky. When the company is paying, no need to clean that much out!

Living a more simple life in a smaller home more comfortable now?

I am only temporary housed right now as I have only been here a week, but I am mentally prepared for a simpler lifestyle.

Any regrets or items you find you are unable to live without other than air-conditioning or a good fan?

Not yet. I had a bad cold/flu this week and my girlfriend got me some good medicine right down the street.

How about diet?

I find during my visits eating more seafood and fresh fruit I’ll lose weight.

Yes, I am experiencing the same. We have had fresh squid and crabs and fish for dirt cheap prices. My girlfriend is feeding me well but compared to the US I am eating smaller portions of healthier food. I noticed that I am not getting hungry as much, but I have been a bit under the weather too.

We sometimes hear of guys who retire or move to Philippines will start drinking more alcohol or take up other unhealthy activities.

I don't think that will be me. I am going to be somewhat landlocked for the next 6 months so I am planning to focus on my diet and exercise.

This topic is not exactly new its been more or less covered in answers to other questions or topics.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted

one of my concerns is the food, i am not a meat eater realy, and i love my veg, i did lose some weight on my last visit and that was because the food did not please me, yes things will change once i am there i know that, i am going to try to grow my own veg, i dont know how that will work but soon i will have all the time in the world to try

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

one of my concerns is the food, i am not a meat eater realy, and i love my veg, i did lose some weight on my last visit and that was because the food did not please me, yes things will change once i am there i know that, i am going to try to grow my own veg, i dont know how that will work but soon i will have all the time in the world to try

I think you can do ok with the veggies here. Once you are settled you can know where to find some classic veggies and some new ones too. I have only been here two weeks but I have seen plenty of veggies in the market. A garden would be great too!

I am loving the cheap seafood! We have had fresh shrimp a few times and it is such a bargain compared to the U.S. $3-4 for a pound or so of fresh shrimp will have me eating a lot, so I will need to careful to find out where it is coming from.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well. Isn't it better you BUY the things which can be stored some days?

Then others will do the work for almost no money.

Different if you want to do it for FUN.

(I will want to have some growing outside my house, when it's things which become unfresh fast, or irregural wanting them as some fruits. Other things I prefer others will do the work. I can't solve it by having a gardener taking care of all, because I don't want any other people at my house :)

Edit: Most veg and fruit things are much BETTER in the Philippines, Many "kano" types of food are rather easy to do yourself, just get recepies.

(I expect I will miss a few things, which raw material are problem to find in the Philippines, or hard to make self. (E g cowberry jam and a special cheescake, which I don't believe I manage to do myself.)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It's true that veggies are cheaper to buy in the Phils than in most of the countries we now live in... But growing your own will let you know that they are grown in non-toxic ground as well as not loaded with pesticides - or at least give you the option of what is used. I will probably have to buy some veggies as I don't know if I will have room while growing my 50 million tomato plants...

:mocking:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When you buy your veggies here be SURE to wash them. People p1ss and more in their vegetable gardens.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

When you buy your veggies here be SURE to wash them. People p1ss and more in their vegetable gardens.

That's good fertilizer :)

ALLWAYS wash vegs even own grown ones if they have toughed the earth, because some soil bacterias can be bad anyway.

• Like 2